what is similar to the contour SVT

EricMcIntire

Established Member
wait... you have 3 csvts?? yeah... time to sell one... to me :) I'm going home (boston) in december, thats when I hope to find one to drive back to CA.. let me know if you guys hear of anything in the MA,NH,RI, CT area! was there a mystique version of the SVT? how bout a fast version of a cougar? (new body style) thanks for the help guys.

BlueStripe

Bad Ass with Class
Established Member
SpookSVT said:
Really? I'd think the SRT would blow the SVT away in a strait line and at least handle a bit better. SVT still looks 10x better.

Very true, but it's the only thing that met all the criteria. American, hopped up version of a basic vehicle, recent years. Only thing the Neon won't do is low price. I wouldn't recomend a V8 SHO to anyone, repair costs on those engines can be astronomical.

SpookSVT

Established Member
BlueStripe said:
Very true, but it's the only thing that met all the criteria. American, hopped up version of a basic vehicle, recent years. Only thing the Neon won't do is low price. I wouldn't recomend a V8 SHO to anyone, repair costs on those engines can be astronomical.

What about the Cobalt SS? They cost less than the SRT and I think its more in the SVT's ballpark as far as power and handling are concerned, 205hp supercharged ECOTEC.

NotoriousJaegs

~There Goes My Hero~
Established Member
SpookSVT said:
What about the Cobalt SS? They cost less than the SRT and I think its more in the SVT's ballpark as far as power and handling are concerned, 205hp supercharged ECOTEC.

Taurus SHO, SVT Contour, SRT-4 Neon= 4-door

In the Cobalt you can either have a supercharger, or 4-doors, but not both.

The BigSHO

Established Member
ZX2 use Zetec 4 cylinders. Good economical engine. Should be a fun car.

I had a 98 Zetec/5 speed Contour before I bought any of the CSVTs I once owned. I learned about the CSVT from my experience with the Zetec.

The Zetec 5 speed is a kick too. It got 35-40 miles per gallon.

Fun economical car... :thumbsup:

Last edited:

EricMcIntire

Established Member
so I was looking at the zx2s more closely, and the only one I really like is the 2003, much better front end... but I'd so much rather have a csvt.. so I think the zx2 is more of a worst case scenerio... are there any chevys like what i'm talking about? is there a fast malibu or anything?

SpookSVT

Established Member
Pontiac GTP has a supercharged 3.8L but I don't think the GTP's are a 4door though.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
SpookSVT said:
Pontiac GTP has a supercharged 3.8L but I don't think the GTP's are a 4door though.

Actually they're either 4 or 2 until the '04 models which are only 4 doors. I had a 00 GTP sedan with minor mods and went 14.25 @ 99.

Nkosi

Established Member
I know everyone is saying that repair costs on the SHO are out of this world, and I LOVE my CSVT, but try and go get some drivetrain (tranny and clutch specifically) work done to a CSVT and I garuntee you if the shop has ever worked on one before the first thing they do when you walk in is groan. Those cars are a PAIN IN THE ASS to work on. That being said I love my 98 CSVT

EricMcIntire

Established Member
okay.... what about getting a 98 audi a4 1.8t? does anyone have any opinions on this car? little bit better mileage than the csvt, not as fast but TONS of mods available and a bulletproof engine.. not as pretty, and its german.. but much easier to find. let me know what you guys think

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
The A4 is comparable. YOu might dig up the article I believe Car & Driver did that was posted above....

DemonSVT

The Mad Modder!
Established Member
I'd recommend the previous Gen Maxima (with the 3L & 5-spd) (96-00 range IIRC)
Bullet proof drive train, sharp looking car, & a nice aftermarket to make up for it's defficiencies in handling and braking.

There is NOTHING that is not an import that is really comparable to an SVT. That's why the SVT was so good at the time. (most mags put it up against cars costing 5k more to twice it's price!) It wasn't even designed by Ford US. 99.97% of the US designs suck! We are so far behind the import competition in quality & technology it's just pitiful. The big 3 have made some small strides in recent years but they still care more about POS SUV's then anything else. Hell in another 5 years the big 3 might not even exist because they are so far behind the curve they are recording record losses every year. (heck one of them isn't even a US company anymore and their quality went up because of it!)

JCSVT

V6 Powa!!
Established Member
EricMcIntire said:
okay.... what about getting a 98 audi a4 1.8t? does anyone have any opinions on this car? little bit better mileage than the csvt, not as fast but TONS of mods available and a bulletproof engine.. not as pretty, and its german.. but much easier to find. let me know what you guys think

My brother is looking for one of those too. A chip gains about 40hp and really wakes that 1.8T up. The only problem I've really seen is the oil sludge issue which could be compared to the Contour's oil starvation problems.

Users who are viewing this thread