what is similar to the contour SVT

EricMcIntire

Established Member
I'm having trouble finding a contour SVT.. I was wondering what other cars are out there that are similar... no imports please I dont want one. I'm talking about cars that are kinda everyday (contour, tarus etc...) that have a special version like the SVT and the SHO that make the appearance better and performance.. let me know what you guys can think of. lookin for a late 90s for under 6k... like I said the contour SVT would be my first choice but if I can't find one please let me know some other options... thanks.

svtbird99

Established Member
hey man this may be a dumb questions but have u searched the autotrader on the net. thats where i found my svt contour i purhased it from a small time dealer in downey and its a great car i checked up on this car several times before it purchased and everyting was great .. well good luck ..

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
svtbird99 said:
hey man this may be a dumb questions but have u searched the autotrader on the net. thats where i found my svt contour i purhased it from a small time dealer in downey and its a great car i checked up on this car several times before it purchased and everyting was great .. well good luck ..

+1, I found mine on Cars.com. Also try a 95-97 SE contour with a stick. They are fun cars also. I had a champange with pumice leather back in 96 and it was a badass ride.

The BigSHO

Established Member
I have a SHO, but prefer CSVT. Its close, but CSVT has the edge in my book.

I think the CSVT is the best used car value out there period. Look at eBay, contour.org, etc.

Its a buyers market. Patience and good luck...

EricMcIntire

Established Member
thanks guys.... I've been checking those sites almost every day and nothing is close enough to me or my hometown (in MA) with the right pricetag... found plenty of good ones in the middle but the coasts seem to be the most expensive.. yeah I'd like to know what and where that guy that sells the SVTs is, thanks again guys, the hunt continues

BlueStripe

Bad Ass with Class
Established Member
The only car that's come even close in recent years is the Neon SRT-4, and they're not going to be as cheap as these Contours for some years to come.

Steeltwo

Established Member
there is not really anything from the late 90's in that price range.

the nissan maxima was kinda close. but didn't handle or brake as good

the taraus sho with the v8 is close. But i'd stay away from those. Every owner i've ever heard that owned one, liked the car, but hated the $ they had to throw into it.

if you want 2dr cars
there are quite a few that'll fit the bill.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
A SC is a completely different beast than the CDW-27 platform. If your looking for something 'similar' to the SHO a MN12 car isn't something I'd recommend. I'd keep checking ebay and cars.com. Otherwise, you have the 99+ Cougars, and as stated 'similar' is the 89-95 SHOs, but maintenance intensive (i.e. expensive to maintain). The only other cars are the 3 series BMW, Audi A4 and other similar European imports...

Steeltwo

Established Member
if you want to get a mid 90's car

you could get a 4dr Integra GS-R. It'll give similar performance to the SVT.

but in reality, in the late 90's

the SVT tour was the only budget performance sedan. Hell it spanked the 98 Audi A4 1.8T like a stepchild in the comparison test.

anyone ever read the test?

the G20, A4 and SVT Tour. And the tour just ate them up.

and the tour was the cheapest :-D

Y2KSVT

Established Member
Read the article years ago. My memory may not serve me correctly, but I don't think it ate those cars up. I'm pretty sure it was pretty close, with the SVT coming out on top.

Mark

Steeltwo

Established Member
Y2KSVT said:
Read the article years ago. My memory may not serve me correctly, but I don't think it ate those cars up. I'm pretty sure it was pretty close, with the SVT coming out on top.

Mark
youre right

but they said with better rubber the a4 would have won the daily driver award.

but of course the audi is 5 grand more and that is where it caught up to the svt. and to be honest
i think most anything in the high 20k range has a better interior than the svt contour. I always feel like I got robbed when i sit in it :-D

then I hit the gas pedal and turn the wheel and understand where the money went.

SpookSVT

Established Member
BlueStripe said:
The only car that's come even close in recent years is the Neon SRT-4, and they're not going to be as cheap as these Contours for some years to come.

Really? I'd think the SRT would blow the SVT away in a strait line and at least handle a bit better. SVT still looks 10x better.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Y2KSVT said:

Mark

Actually it was a Car & Driver test between a A4 1.8t, Saab 900S, VW Jetta GLX, and Acura Integra GS-R and the Tour ran away from them in every performance category. Braking, handling, and acceleration. It came in 3rd behind the Acura and Audi because of the Ford Badge. Results
0-60
VW 6.9
GSR 7.0
SVT 7.1
900s 7.9
Audi 8.4

1/4
SVT 15.4 @ 91
VW 15.5 @ 91
GSR 15.6 @ 90
900s 16.3 @ 85
Audi 16.3 @ 84

Top Speed
SVT 140
GSR 133
VW 127
Audi 127
900s 123

Braking 70-0
SVT 164
Audi 176
900s 178
GSR 182
VW 185

emergency lane change
SVT 63.3
Audi 61.4
900s 61.1
VW 59.7

Cost
VW $22,105
GSR $22,635
SVT $23,500
Audi $25,090
900s $26,520

As a performance sedan it decimated the competition, but because it was a Ford it came in 3rd?

25460-669-28851.jpg

Last edited:

The BigSHO

Established Member
Go for the CSVT... I have owned three and all are still in our family. My kids have them now.

I like my SHO, but still have CSVT withdrawal. I will have another one someday. :thumbsup:

Steeltwo

Established Member
there is a 00 green csvt here with 57k for 8 grand :(

i'd give the dude 6500 and drive away in the rarest csvt

Users who are viewing this thread