what is max flywheel hp motor can handle

gunslinger

Established Member
anyone know how much flywheel horse 03,04 cobra bottom ends can handle block, rods, crank, trying to put together a combo and need to know how high i can go. any info helpful. thanks

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
I think the X2C turbo car holds the record so far. I think the block is still stock, and I have heard rumors it has gone over 800rwhp, which is over 900 flywheel hp. I know for sure they have gotten 720 RWHP out of it which is roughly 850 flywheel hp.

I have heard many people claim that 1000 hp is possible on the stock bottom end. Of course, no one has gotten there yet that I know of.

screwdriverpimp

Established Member
I've heard, can't remember exactly where I read it, but that someone or company had gotten a bit over 1000 hp on the stock bottom end.

Last edited:

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Originally posted by screwdriverpimp
I've heard, can't remember exactly where I read it, but that someone or company had gotten a bit over 1000 hp on the stock bottom end.
Maybe, maybe not, but the stock bottom end can't handle that kind of power for very long.
Gunslinger, if you're looking at big horsepower your main concerns should be the stock fuel system, stock pistons and somehow getting the engine temps down.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Originally posted by racerat
Maybe, maybe not, but the stock bottom end can't handle that kind of power for very long.
Gunslinger, if you're looking at big horsepower your main concerns should be the stock fuel system, stock pistons and somehow getting the engine temps down.

Excellent suggestion!!!:thumbsup:

Excess heat and the resulting detonation(coupled w/ on the edge tunes) has destroyed more engines on this and other boards than you would think.....

If you want 1000 horse power or near that( that will live a while)
I have a few suggestions...

1..Yates style steam holes drilled (by a pro) for the 7 and 8 deck of block and head.... they of course have to match up and enhance the outflow of super heated water and steam, and facilitate the escape of air during coolant fill (no more than 20% antifreeze w/ distilled water, and a pro quality wetter.. redline, royal purple.... preferably no antifreeze just water and wetter

2... apten cooling mod(left head) also low temp stat, reprogram elect. cooling fan kick point (or over ride it), and probably ought to think about a big fat racing radiator... unless it's just a trailered drag car.

3...pro quality RACING pistons!! drop the compression to about 8 to one, or 7.5 to one. Total seal gapless rings would be nice with a nice pro re-hone.

4... 9.5 qt Canton racing oil pan and windage tray

5... MOST IMPORTANT!!!.........FUEL DELIVERY MUST BE RELIABLE!!!
much over 600 HP and the returnless system starts to get a little unreliable, it can be enhanced to hit those levels and a little beyond........ but over 700 I'd recommend a stand alone fuel system with over capacity to keep it reliable
IF THAT MOTOR LEANS OUT UNDER HIGH BOOST CONDITIONS EVEN W/ RACING GAS........ YOU WILL BE GETTING YOUR CHECK BOOK OUT FOR A LOT OF CHING!!!

On a more positive note I actually like the rods quite a bit... yea they are a compromise, but think about it... we have not really heard much about rod failures... and nearly all the piston failures had evidence of detonation(not there fault)...
Plus the crank is one very strong, extremely high quality component!!

How fast do you want to go??????
Do you have really deep pockets???

To make it live above 700 you have to spend some dough...

good luck!!! Careful planning and research, talking to pro engine builders w/ experience w/ this engine will be the key to reliable....
AND INSANE POWER LEVELS from that "little" 281 cube motor

Jimmy:thumbsup:

PS: Tomorrow night's the night guys and gals... I got 2 hours sleep last night..... I feel like a little kid!!!!

gunslinger

Established Member
thanks for all the info . i guess i am just trying to figure out the most hp i can get still being somewhat reliable and driveable. and knowing how far i can go in the future. these cars are great

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
dropping the compression any further would be a horrible idea. 8.5 is plenty low enough.

above 700rwhp id put new pistons and billet rods in it.

the fuel system needs a return system and a weldon 2035 with braided lines and big rails.

Users who are viewing this thread