what is involved in a t56 swap

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
shorter driveshaft with new yokes, new clutch if you go with the 26 spline input shaft, new shifter, new or modified crosmember, pigtail for reverse lockout, new clutch bolts if you swapped the clutch, good idea to get newthrowout bearing, firewall adjuster, clutch quadrant and clutch fork while you are at it.

SUPERSEXY32V

people know me
Established Member
and remember that the gearing is WAY different. If you have stock gears you will hate the 1st gear of the t-56.

cobraracer46

Banned
The T56 swap for the 99-04 mustangs is a bolt in operation. About the only fabrication involved in this swap is the set up for the reverse lock out solenoid. Most people wire up the reverse lock out switch to the brake pedal or make a fancy timing circuit.

I bought a complete Viper T56 swap kit from some place in Michigan and it came with everything, trans, 26 spline clutch disk,crossmember and a new custom drive shaft. I found it unnecessary to run a adjustable quadrant and it is not mandatory to run an aftermarket shifter as the T45-TR3650 shifter arm bolts right up to the T56 shifter base. I did recently add a PRO 50 shifter to my set up and I like it.

Going with a terminator set up; trans, crossmember, drive shaft would be the cheapest way to put a T56 in your car and only the pinion flange would need to be changed.

The Viper T56 is the strongest T56 available and the new "magnum" T56 is also very good.

The T56 gearing is different from the POS T45 TR3650 transmissions and in my car, the Viper T56 has a 2.66 first and a .50 6th. I chose a 4:30 rear end gear and on the interstate at 80MPH the engine is at 2800RPM.

I'm very happy with my T56 set up and recommend it highly. Clutch service is so much easier with a T56 than a T45 or 3650, especially on a car with headers.

Before I forget, the T45-TR3650 promoron nut swingers can burn in hell.:fm::burn:

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
and remember that the gearing is WAY different. If you have stock gears you will hate the 1st gear of the t-56.

I have it and it sucks. Screw 3.73's, 3.90, and 4.10. You do this you go no less than 4.30's or you will hate it.

My advice is the get the T-56 with the Cobra R gearing. We have no torque to use that long ass first gear.

Ok the positives. I feel like no matter what I throw at this thing I will never break it. It is overbuilt for what our cars have and that's why I love it. It is super quiet and smooth. It makes the 3650 look like an under engineered pile of crap.

Last edited:

35THCONVERTIBLE

Established Member
great info guys.the trans im interested in cameout of a 03 cobra so i think my 01 cobra clutch disk will work right. and very suprised my t45 steeda triax will work on the t56 thats also going to save me some money. i have a 4:30 gear in mine allready so looks like i will be ok with first gear huh? so what is the cheapest way to get by with the driveshaft and yoke and whatever else needs to be changed. by yoke you mean the ends of drive shaft yoke correct..thanks guys todd

cobraracer46

Banned
gvery suprised my t45 steeda triax will work on the t56 thats also going to save me some money.thanks guys todd

I think you mis understood me. The shifter base for the T56 is different from the T45, but the shift arm( the part that bolts up to the shifter base) is interchangeable. The T45 Steeda TRI AX base will NOT work on a T56.:bash:

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
T56 is so much better than any factory ford 5 speed. I got the complete kit from an 03 cobra guy local to me. Got the trans/clutch/driveshaft/shifter/crossmember/steel bellhousing/etc for $1800 almost 4 years ago.

You don't need to wire in the reverse lockout if you don't want to. I never did and you just have to put a little more force to get it into reverse. DO NOT wire it into you brake lights if you do run one. Just run it to a separate switch. You don't want the solenoid engaged everytime you hit the brakes. Your stock clutch will work if you have a T56 w/ 10 spline input shaft. You will need an 03/04 pinion flange to use the 03/04 driveshaft and u joints. This is worth it to do in the swap. I did it in my 01 and didn't have to extend any wires. The TR3650 wiring goes on the driver's side of the tranny and the T56 is on the passenger. My harness fit w/o issues.

Its really just a clutch swap in terms of labor with the addition of the pinion flange. One of the best things is a separate bellhousing. You may not be able to get all 3 starter bolts back in. I could only get 2 in and I have had no issues. Many others have only put 2 back in and have no complaints.

Do the swap and you will never look back.

19mustang95

Wants another Mystic
Established Member
you can use a pushbutton to operate the reverse lockout, that's how i have it in my car. one of these days i'll stop being lazy and buy the part from GM to control it.

SUPERSEXY32V

people know me
Established Member
great info guys.the trans im interested in cameout of a 03 cobra so i think my 01 cobra clutch disk will work right. and very suprised my t45 steeda triax will work on the t56 thats also going to save me some money. i have a 4:30 gear in mine allready so looks like i will be ok with first gear huh? so what is the cheapest way to get by with the driveshaft and yoke and whatever else needs to be changed. by yoke you mean the ends of drive shaft yoke correct..thanks guys todd

The 4:30's with a T-56 will "feel like" approximately a 3:55 with your T-45 in first gear..just FYI. IMHO, IF you want a 6-speed, I would spend the extra $$ and go with the T-56 Magnum with the 2.97 first gear and better overall ratios. You will have a much better built tranny than the T-56.

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techarticles/m5lp_0909_terminator_tremecs_t56_six_speed/index.html

Last edited:

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Before I forget, the T45-TR3650 promoron nut swingers can burn in hell.:fm::burn:

Yea, guys with faster cars and more power than you must not have a clue what they are talking about. After all, you don't have the part and they do :rolleyes:

OP, if you are na and planning to stay that way, you might want to think about a D&D or Promotion built 5 speed. If you went with that 4.30 cause you wanted a low gear, you will be very dissapointed in how your car runs after the swap. If you think the 4.30 is too much, well you just might like it. Like others have said, that 03 unit has the 2.66. Your 5 speed has 3.27. Something to think about. Don't just buy a part cause it sounds cool to have, but it because it fits your desires for the car and matches the other parts on your car.

SUPERSEXY32V

people know me
Established Member
Yea, guys with faster cars and more power than you must not have a clue what they are talking about. After all, you don't have the part and they do :rolleyes:

OP, if you are na and planning to stay that way, you might want to think about a D&D or Promotion built 5 speed. If you went with that 4.30 cause you wanted a low gear, you will be very dissapointed in how your car runs after the swap. If you think the 4.30 is too much, well you just might like it. Like others have said, that 03 unit has the 2.66. Your 5 speed has 3.27. Something to think about. Don't just buy a part cause it sounds cool to have, but it because it fits your desires for the car and matches the other parts on your car.

WORD. Call me a "nut swinger".

cobraracer46

Banned

The T45 and the TR3650 transmission are inferior to the T56. The non removable bell housing on both of the stock 5 speed transmissions that makes r&r work a pain in the butt is reason enough to throw them in the scrap pile.

The T56 works well in NA vehicles. I test drove a 2000 Cobra R with the 5.4 Na engine and a T56 and the car felt real strong. Lesson here is to make sure you put togeather a poweful NA engine. Let's not forget about the FR500C factory race car with a NA 5.0 cobra engine and a T56 that is killing the European machinery in grand am racing. Furthermore, all of the hot sports cars on the road today; the 2010 GT500, Corvette ZR1, dodge viper, Austin Martin DB7 have a T56. The new Camaro SS also has a T56. The manufactures choose the T56 because there is no better choice available for a road performance car. In the aftermarket, the T56 magnum has to be the top dog while the Viper unit remains the ideal box for super high HP vehicles and for those of us that want rock solid reliability.

Those of us that add a T56 to our cars are probably hell bent on world domination and a 5 speed just wont do.

Finnally,don't listen to the T56 haters. The peace of mind that comes with having a stronger transmission is reason enough to go with a T56. I chose the unbreakable Viper T56 with a 750 ft tq rating for unquestioned reliability. My car with the 2.66 first and 4:30 REAR feels great and once all of the Vortech bits that I have been slowly putting together are added, the car will be incredible. The .50 6th sure makes those long freeway trips nice.

T56 haters.:burn:

SUPERSEXY32V

people know me
Established Member
The T45 and the TR3650 transmission are inferior to the T56. The non removable bell housing on both of the stock 5 speed transmissions that makes r&r work a pain in the butt is reason enough to throw them in the scrap pile.

The T56 works well in NA vehicles. I test drove a 2000 Cobra R with the 5.4 Na engine and a T56 and the car felt real strong. Lesson here is to make sure you put togeather a poweful NA engine. Let's not forget about the FR500C factory race car with a NA 5.0 cobra engine and a T56 that is killing the European machinery in grand am racing. Furthermore, all of the hot sports cars on the road today; the 2010 GT500, Corvette ZR1, dodge viper, Austin Martin DB7 have a T56. The new Camaro SS also has a T56. The manufactures choose the T56 because there is no better choice available for a road performance car. In the aftermarket, the T56 magnum has to be the top dog while the Viper unit remains the ideal box for super high HP vehicles and for those of us that want rock solid reliability.

Those of us that add a T56 to our cars are probably hell bent on world domination and a 5 speed just wont do.

Finnally,don't listen to the T56 haters. The peace of mind that comes with having a stronger transmission is reason enough to go with a T56. I chose the unbreakable Viper T56 with a 750 ft tq rating for unquestioned reliability. My car with the 2.66 first and 4:30 REAR feels great and once all of the Vortech bits that I have been slowly putting together are added, the car will be incredible. The .50 6th sure makes those long freeway trips nice.

T56 haters.:burn:

Unbreakable? please. and you are comparing stock to stock. Which I agree, IN stock form, the T-56 is a STRONGER Transmission. The argument of 5 speed to 6 speed can go on for days. For me, a 5-speed is suitable. Im running a Cryo'd Promotion "TOP GUN" T-45. The t-45 can me made to handle alot of power, as promotion has proven. So I am a nut swinger with a stout transmission.

35THCONVERTIBLE

Established Member
thanks for clearing that up for me about the shifter i got it now. going to pick up my t56 i found off of a buddy locally tomorrow morning. 850 for t56 stock input shaft and steeda tri-ax. what do you guys think good deal or what? it is out of a 03 with low miles. i am not pulling that header again if i dont have to. i am thinking of cutting the bell housing off of the t45 just enough to get it out and bolting up the t56 bell housing the installing the rest as long as the t56 will squeeze by the bbk longtubes just enough to get her on. for you guys that have bbk know the motor pretty much has to be removed along with the pass side header to get the t45 in and out. info please can the t56 bell housing get by the bbk longtubes installed got i hope so TODD

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I have the T56 Mag with the 2.97 and the .50 6th with 3.55's the car feels great but I'm looking at upgrading to 4.10's here very shortly, I have to be doing almost 80mph to use 6th gear. I'm at like 1500rpm at 65mph and i can't do anything it feels like the car is bogging and i'm actually using more throttle because the gears don't do anything. I use less vac and i'm closer to boost with the .50, that's why i'm putting in 4.10's. I love my T56 over the shitty t45 that i had before..g/l with the swap

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
thanks for clearing that up for me about the shifter i got it now. going to pick up my t56 i found off of a buddy locally tomorrow morning. 850 for t56 stock input shaft and steeda tri-ax. what do you guys think good deal or what? it is out of a 03 with low miles. i am not pulling that header again if i dont have to. i am thinking of cutting the bell housing off of the t45 just enough to get it out and bolting up the t56 bell housing the installing the rest as long as the t56 will squeeze by the bbk longtubes just enough to get her on. for you guys that have bbk know the motor pretty much has to be removed along with the pass side header to get the t45 in and out. info please can the t56 bell housing get by the bbk longtubes installed got i hope so TODD

What is wrong with the 5-speed? I wouldn't suggest cutting it out. I sold my T-45 with a broken shift fork on craigslist. Why ruin a part someone can put to use and you can make some cash back on?

35THCONVERTIBLE

Established Member
unless you wanna come take the header out and practically pull the motor i am done fooling with that bell housing. if soemone wants it they can buy a bell housing for it. i plan on cutting it out and then bolting up a t56 bell housing and calling it a day. have you ever dealt with bbk longtubes and t45 trans before its about worth the aggrivation and loss of cash to discard the bell housing and cut your losses..lol its a bitch

35THCONVERTIBLE

Established Member
t56 deal fell through i am still looking for one preferably with driveshaft and trans mount. with the stock splines todd 606 269 2432 let me know if you got i t

SUPERSEXY32V

people know me
Established Member
unless you wanna come take the header out and practically pull the motor i am done fooling with that bell housing. if soemone wants it they can buy a bell housing for it. i plan on cutting it out and then bolting up a t56 bell housing and calling it a day. have you ever dealt with bbk longtubes and t45 trans before its about worth the aggrivation and loss of cash to discard the bell housing and cut your losses..lol its a bitch

This is true. I agree completely. I have BBK tubes and it is a PITA! If I ever change trannys again its likely that I will go with the T-56 magnum

Users who are viewing this thread