What is faster if hp/tq is the same?

thematrixhazune

Follow the white rabbit
Established Member
Stopsign32v said:
3.55 gears are a great gear for a turbo car.

If you have a turbo you do not want the same gears as with a s/c (too tall of a gear). Then again it goes back to its dependency on your combo (tranny, turbo size ect.)
Pick the right gear for the most minimal lag/ but not sacrificing take off.

3.55 is good and so is my stock 3.08's but 4.11's can hurt you.

Stopsign32v

Established Member
thematrixhazune said:
If you have a turbo you do not want the same gears as with a s/c (too tall of a gear). Then again it goes back to its dependency on your combo (tranny, turbo size ect.)
Pick the right gear for the most minimal lag/ but not sacrificing take off.

3.55 is good and so is my stock 3.08's but 4.11's can hurt you.

It depends on your motor. A car that has no torque will not like a set of 3.08 gears. A 5.0 would be fine with 3.27 gears and a turbo but a 4v motor would more than likely be better with 3.55 gears. That is why you see 4 cylinder turbo cars with gears in the 4.XX range.

thematrixhazune

Follow the white rabbit
Established Member
Stopsign32v said:
It depends on your motor. A car that has no torque will not like a set of 3.08 gears. A 5.0 would be fine with 3.27 gears and a turbo but a 4v motor would more than likely be better with 3.55 gears. That is why you see 4 cylinder turbo cars with gears in the 4.XX range.

Yes true but I was just pertaining to v8's in this case.

98Snake03

I8URVET
Established Member
Stopsign32v said:
:nonono: And back to the point...how does launching in boost have anything to do with how much power the turbo takes from the motor?

No, no, no...that isn't what I was commenting on...sorry, I should have quoted.

I was referring to what HotRodK said to BadGT04 as far as AOD's not making power. All I said was that off the line with a stock AOD w/ a turbo vs a stock AOD w/ a screw- that the screw would probably be quicker because of the instant boost. I went on to say that if the AOD car with the turbo had a stall, it would be a good race.

sorry my bad.

As far as me asking you to elaborate on your flowmaster vs. turbo comment, I was just wondering where you came up with that analogy.

HotRodK

Gone to the Dark Side
Established Member
Im glad you reitterated, because you lost me too. One last question. If twin screws are better, then WHY dont ANY of the Pro 5.0 cars run them?? Its all Turbo/Centrifugal/N2O.
Not ONE twin screw. :shrug: :shrug:

98Snake03

I8URVET
Established Member
longrodLX said:
its not legal.......and as far as an auto goes with turbos what about brake boosting?

yeah...most turbos boost up at 2500-3000 though, correct?

I didn't think stock converters had that much slip?

HotRodK

Gone to the Dark Side
Established Member
A stall rating is based on power output at that rpm. If the turbo starts to spool up and is making 3-5psi when on the footbrake, then the power output is higher, and the stall speed can/will go up.

Why are roots/screw blowers illegal in Pro 5.0? I never knew that. :??:

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
I'm going to say too hard to tell, the twin screw at 700rwhp cause of low end torque may have traction issues, whereas a turbo works like a progressive nitrous controller so on the street the turbo could come out on top, may be a lil easier to launch more rpm range to play with. in theory you could set up a boost curve like a progressive controller with a turbo, no way for a twin screw to do that. Sometimes less low end power is better.

mlccar

SVT Poster
Established Member
Twin Screw

If both make 700 hp MAX then the twin screw will win. Why? Because the ET's are based on the area under the torque vs. rpm curve. A twin screw has a flat torque curve and a linear hp vs. rpm curve. The centrifugal or turbo torque curve will vary from a low to high value. The high value at the high rpm corresponds to the max Hp. Since Hp=Torque*RPM (with some constant conversions), ther will be more area under the torque curve for a posi.

Why are posi's not used in the drags? They simlply cannot generate as much boost as a centri or turbo at top rpm. So eventually, the centr or turbo will be a better drag car (but probably not a very mannered street car).

Stopsign32v

Established Member
98Snake03 said:
As far as me asking you to elaborate on your flowmaster vs. turbo comment, I was just wondering where you came up with that analogy.

He argued with me because I said turbos do not take power to make power by arguing that they are a restriction to your exhaust. So I came back and said that a turbo is only as restrictive as a flowmaster muffler. In short....turbos don't take power to make power.

98Snake03

I8URVET
Established Member
Stopsign32v said:
He argued with me because I said turbos do not take power to make power by arguing that they are a restriction to your exhaust. So I came back and said that a turbo is only as restrictive as a flowmaster muffler. In short....turbos don't take power to make power.

that's cool...I just never thought of it that way.

longrodLX

Established Member
mlccar said:
If both make 700 hp MAX then the twin screw will win. Why? Because the ET's are based on the area under the torque vs. rpm curve. A twin screw has a flat torque curve and a linear hp vs. rpm curve. The centrifugal or turbo torque curve will vary from a low to high value. The high value at the high rpm corresponds to the max Hp. Since Hp=Torque*RPM (with some constant conversions), ther will be more area under the torque curve for a posi.

Why are posi's not used in the drags? They simlply cannot generate as much boost as a centri or turbo at top rpm. So eventually, the centr or turbo will be a better drag car (but probably not a very mannered street car).
we will see. watch for tim of MPH next year. hes gonna put a whoopin on all the centri guys

mlccar

SVT Poster
Established Member
Whoopin

longrodLX said:
we will see. watch for tim of MPH next year. hes gonna put a whoopin on all the centri guys

I am sure he cold. My point was that with a flat torque curve, you get the same boost at 2000 rpm as at 6000 rpm so that the car has a broad flat torque curve and feels like a big block engine. For the drags a Turbo or Centri will cetainly generate more boost at higher rpms, hence more torque and horsepower. I do not think anybody is arguing that a 2.2 L Kenne Bell is going to get to 800-1000 hp.

aoe_viruz

Established Member
mlccar said:

Top Fuel cars make 40-50psi of boost at 10k rpm.

mlccar

SVT Poster
Established Member
Drags

Yes. Since I was 12 years old in the 60's I have known that Top fuels used massive roots blowers. I guess my point was more directed at stock or modified stock. In this category I believe the fastest cars are using centrifugal blowers with ICED intercoolers. I would guess this is because of high rpm boost?

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
It depends on the turbo configuration. If you run smaller twins instead of one single, you will produce boost down low.

It may be a toss up between the blower and a TT configuration, especially if the N/A application has sufficient torque already.

Users who are viewing this thread