What is faster if hp/tq is the same?

v8musclecobra

Established Member
If you have about 700hp in a twin screw setup and about 700hp in a turbo setup, which one would be faster? Would they be the same or would the supercharger win cause its basically full boost off the line...or would the turbo still pull top end even with the same hp? it's probably been asked to death so thanks in advance and sry if i sound like an idiot.

thematrixhazune

Follow the white rabbit
Established Member
I want to say turbo because it will give you the # of boost right away as with s/c will only give you its max #lbs at redline.... Dunno could be wrong, but I had a s/c on my car and now that I did turbo I feel that its alot stronger. :read:

ninefivehatch

Established Member
a centrifugal won't make peak boost until redline. he was asking about a twin screw which makes boost almost instantly.

to answer the original question...its tough to say. there are really to many variables. but assuming everything is equal...i would say the twin screw because it SHOULD have more area under the curve. if your trying to decide whether to go turbo or twin screw, take a ride in both and see which you like.

Stopsign32v

Established Member
Turbo doesn't take power to make power but a supercharger does. That said if both cars have 700rwhp then the twin screw will win because of instant boost and no lag between shifts. That said in reality even though both cars show 700rwhp the turbo car is working alot less. = turbo car will last longer.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
Stopsign32v said:
Turbo doesn't take power to make power but a supercharger does. That said if both cars have 700rwhp then the twin screw will win because of instant boost and no lag between shifts. That said in reality even though both cars show 700rwhp the turbo car is working alot less. = turbo car will last longer.

sorry, but a turbo DOES take power to make power.. yes it's quite abit more efficient than a supercharger, but it still takes power.. (what do you think that huge restriction "the turbo"in your exhaust is)?

SpookSVT

Established Member
Theoretically the twin screw just because of the power under the curve, instant respnse and holds all the way to redline. But we really need specs on both setups.

Last edited:

SVThink

I claim that the Twin Screw will be quicker because it is instant.

But a turbo car with a healthy gear to keep it in boost will be the same.

So I go with a turbo car with 4.10's

Stopsign32v

Established Member
Silver2003Cobra said:
sorry, but a turbo DOES take power to make power.. yes it's quite abit more efficient than a supercharger, but it still takes power.. (what do you think that huge restriction "the turbo"in your exhaust is)?

:rollseyes Excuse me....folks this just in...a turbo robs just as much power from your engine as a flowmaster 2 chamber! :loser:

98Snake03

I8URVET
Established Member
he isn't saying that. Turbos have lag. If your AOD has a stall, then you are set ;)

98Snake03

I8URVET
Established Member
Stopsign32v said:
:rollseyes Excuse me....folks this just in...a turbo robs just as much power from your engine as a flowmaster 2 chamber! :loser:

do you care to elaborate then?

Stopsign32v

Established Member
98Snake03 said:
he isn't saying that. Turbos have lag. If your AOD has a stall, then you are set ;)

What are you talking about? Turbo lag has nothing to do with how much power the turbo "robs"...nor does your car having an AOD or stall. :poke:

longrodLX

Established Member
as for a turbo vs twinscrew with the same HP the twinscrew should win. the turbo will make more torque so it should be close. but the turbo will be making a lot less boost. a turbo cobra with 20psi will make 700+rwhp while a twin screwed cobra w/20psi will make 600rwhp. tell me which one is more effecient.

also run a twinscrew back to back runs and you will see a greater loos in power than a turbo on back to back runs
turbos>anything :coolman:

98Snake03

I8URVET
Established Member
Stopsign32v said:
What are you talking about? Turbo lag has nothing to do with how much power the turbo "robs"...nor does your car having an AOD or stall. :poke:

MAybe I wasn't clear enough....

Turbos run off of exhaust...it takes a little rpm to build boost, therefore having a stall would allow you to launch in boost. :rollseyes :poke:

Stopsign32v

Established Member
98Snake03 said:
MAybe I wasn't clear enough....

Turbos run off of exhaust...it takes a little rpm to build boost, therefore having a stall would allow you to launch in boost. :rollseyes :poke:

:nonono: And back to the point...how does launching in boost have anything to do with how much power the turbo takes from the motor?

Stopsign32v

Established Member
thematrixhazune said:
Gears suck on turbos - A little more load on a turbo is a good thing when refering to lag.

3.55 gears are a great gear for a turbo car.

Users who are viewing this thread