What is a fair split of the monthly bills with your g/f/wife?

My Cobra

Gigidy Gigidy Gigidy
Established Member
Your lucky she even pays. most people i know the guy pays for almost everything. I know i do. but then again i am in the same place you are. I make a lot better money so its hard for her to pay what i can pay. tuff call. I pay for anything besides her personal bills and she buys food and some household stuff. Don't let them walk on ya.

Fugazied

Established Member
Basing it on income is fair as long as you don't start holding your larger share over her during arguments. When I shared with a girlfriend we split it pretty even though but there wasn't a house involved. Your title is somewhat misleading when you put wife in there, that's a whole other thing.

That's it. Only settle for that large percentage as long as you REALLY think it's fair. Relationships get easily damaged by money BS. I think if she is really that broke and you are pretty well off, 25% is fine, but for some bills (eg. phone) make sure you pay for what calls you make, otherwise she could take advantage and you could resent it.

wundrbird

Proud Father
Established Member
Good Lord, enough of this marriage talk! :lol: I've seen it with precisely 100% of all my married friends and coworkers, but I still can't figure out why things change so much after marriage. It's just a piece of marriage and a tax break. :??:

Just my $.02, Bro. Good luck either way. (You're gonna need it). :beer:

:thumbsup:

Euphoric One

Uncommon Sense
Established Member
...so we just got into a fight because I told her I think her plan to pay $100 a month on her $10,000 student loans might be a bad idea.

BTW, is anyone else still as shocked, SHOCKED(!!!!!!!) as I am that we haven't had a woman president yet? :D

yellow03cobra

Established Member
...so we just got into a fight because I told her I think her plan to pay $100 a month on her $10,000 student loans might be a bad idea.

BTW, is anyone else still as shocked, SHOCKED(!!!!!!!) as I am that we haven't had a woman president yet? :D

yeah that will take forever to pay off, but if you are not that serious you shouldn't have to care about her debt. Just the bills getting paid. Know what you want from this and go from there.

RussZTT

Established Member
A decent 2 bedroom apartment here is about 1K a month not including utility's. I told my gf that her and her little girl can live with me for $750 a month and I pay for everything. We split the grocery's evenly.

House is in my name along with everything else. I did put the electric, water in her name so she can have a revolving credit.

Let your gf have something in her name so she can have the same.

BLOWN PONY

Established Member
You pay 100% of the bills, but make sure it's clear; She is now considered a bill, and anything you are spending hard earned $$$ will be used thoroughly...

1993R

Established Member
I handle everything that has to do with the house..
My wife handles everything that has to with the kids,plus insurance
We each pay our own credit cards or car payments etc...
It's been that way for 20 years

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Why is it a bad Idea? is she starting to pay early or is she out of school and just doesn't want to pay anymore than that? Not having more info makes it hard to tell if she is being unreasonable or not.

You need to get shit like this worked out 100% before she moves in. if you can't get it worked out to where you are both comfortable DO NOT LET HER MOVE IN!

I was married for 13 years to someone who thought what I earned should be our money and what she earned should be her money to do whatever she wanted. Once the divorce was final I said **** that and will never hang out with a woman that can't manager her money better than that again.

If the house is in YOUR name YOU Pay for it 100%. then give her certain bills to pay 100% of (cable, electric, gas) for example. she is responsible for her loan, her car payment and her insurance, and her credit card. groceries should be split 50-50. I have a rule that I will NOT pay for cigarettes period. if she smokes and wants to keep smoking she better be able to pay for them.

Euphoric One

Uncommon Sense
Established Member
Why is it a bad Idea? is she starting to pay early or is she out of school and just doesn't want to pay anymore than that? Not having more info makes it hard to tell if she is being unreasonable or not.

She's outta school and the interest will be kicking in soon. Yes, it's a horrendously stupid and ignorant idea. She needs to sacrifice for a while and pay at least $400-500 and get that balance down.

Like I said, because she hasn't ever managed or had to manage a budget by herself, reality is likely to serve up a few meals that are hard to swallow. This will most likely be one of them.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
When we were saving for a house, whatever Will paid in bills I paid into savings. He bought food, I paid gas. He makes the truck payment, I paid the insurance. So...I guess we were pretty 50/50, but we also make about the same.

Niks97cobra

Ready to Go!
Established Member
Me and my girlfriend live in an apartment together and split everything evenly. We have similar jobs and incomes. I'm sure it will change once I graduate.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
She's outta school and the interest will be kicking in soon. Yes, it's a horrendously stupid and ignorant idea. She needs to sacrifice for a while and pay at least $400-500 and get that balance down.

Like I said, because she hasn't ever managed or had to manage a budget by herself, reality is likely to serve up a few meals that are hard to swallow. This will most likely be one of them.

yeah time for a wake up call for sure. I don't think I would force the 4-500 bucks but I would certainly press for 300 or so.

Euphoric One

Uncommon Sense
Established Member
yeah time for a wake up call for sure. I don't think I would force the 4-500 bucks but I would certainly press for 300 or so.

Ha shit man, I can't force anything, I just said that idea was among the dumbest I've ever heard and that $400-500 is more reasonable.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member

If she's just out of school, maybe you should let her get her feet under her before telling her she's stupid for only paying the minimum amount...if, as you said, this is her first dose in real life responsibility, it really doesn't make sense to be double or triple paying on something you don't have to right off the bat. Besides, student loan interest can't be that bad :shrug:

Euphoric One

Uncommon Sense
Established Member
I honestly don't know how bad the interest is, but I disagree. The longer you wait, the worse off you are. She has no other financial obligations right now, so take the advice of someone a little wiser financially and get that crap paid off ASAP.

BTW, I didn't say she was stupid, I said her idea was stupid. :p

oldmodman

Established Member
A married friend of mine seem to have a fairly equitable method of determining the split.

He makes 63% of the combined family income.
She makes 37%.
And that's the way they split expenses.

03DOHC

Established Member
............I've contended that we should split the bills according to what % of the household income each of us contributes..........
That sounds reasonable and is what my Wife and I did when we first got together. When it became obvious the relationship was going to be long term and we were going to get married the money got pooled. An argument about money will destroy the relationship every time.

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
My girlfriend and I split everything 50/50. Although our salaries are within $1,000 of each others, so we essentially both bring in half. Therefore I agree with your original theory of a percentage based contribution.

Users who are viewing this thread