What I did today, Formula SAE car content

snaked

Attractive Member
Established Member
This is my run today, we were shaking down the car for tomorrow. Nosecone isn't on because it wasn't needed, but the complete car looks like this:

Myself in the car, getting it ready. Guy in yellow suit with water is an idiot and IMHO should not be part of this as he didn't put any work towards this car. Seniority rules though! I had just turned the car on and it was at 192* from previous runs, his job was to wet the radiator and cool. He sprayed once and wanted me to shut down so it would cool better. Newsflash: if the car is shut down, the fan isn't running to pull the water through the radiator fins. It was already down to 188* by the time he said 192 again. Idiot. /rant

Here is one lap around Bondurant's autocross setup, unfortunately no in-car footage for you. Maybe tomorrow. We were working out a misfire problem at this time, so that is the chop that you hear. Also, shitty cameraman lol.

Tomorrow I will have some runs at the SCCA autocross event here! Will update thread with pictures and video from that.

Last edited:

coposrv

Established Member
That's cool. My buddies brother did a formula sae car when he was at school. Little things are badass.

Almighty-One

^_^
Established Member
We are starting on our schools tomorrow

This will be my first year doing the Formula SAE and am very excited

snaked

Attractive Member
Established Member
We are starting on our schools tomorrow

This will be my first year doing the Formula SAE and am very excited

Awesome! UNC?

Good luck, it is a big time commitment and can be difficult, but the end result is totally worth it! Maybe I will see you at competition next year, depending on where you go.

We did well until the third driver, when the front left rocker arm crumpled like a soda can. I got some good runs in, and was the fastest driver on our team today, but the car was very skittish since the dampening wasn't suited to the bumpy track surface. It was still tuned to the smooth Bondurant course. This may have contributed to the rocker arm problem. Overall it was a fun experience and especially for my first real autocross experience.

Anyways, today I thought we were going to have a GoPro to strap onto the roll hoop. Had I known I was going to be wrong, I would have called a buddy of mine who said I could borrow his whenever! Sorry, no pic or video updates.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Sweet dude. I thought about doing Formula but did Baja instead.

img036.jpg

IMG_2942.jpg

Buddy17

Avid SVTP(er)
Established Member
I'm getting involved on this year's FSAE team here at the University of Kentucky...My senior design project was SUPPOSED to be building a turbo system for car, but they have since decided to drop that project. Now, we are building a carbon fiber steering wheel with hand clutches and push button air shifter system. Will still be very cool.

Tommy Z

Established Member
Was going to do Formula SAE here at Texas Tech but I could not stand the majority of the group. Within a few minutes of the 2nd meeting, it had turned into one giant pissing match. I never got to say a word haha. Definitely would've been the thing for me. Oh well.

Sent from my wifi enabled microwave using Tapatalk

Almighty-One

^_^
Established Member
Awesome! UNC?

Good luck, it is a big time commitment and can be difficult, but the end result is totally worth it! Maybe I will see you at competition next year, depending on where you go.

We did well until the third driver, when the front left rocker arm crumpled like a soda can. I got some good runs in, and was the fastest driver on our team today, but the car was very skittish since the dampening wasn't suited to the bumpy track surface. It was still tuned to the smooth Bondurant course. This may have contributed to the rocker arm problem. Overall it was a fun experience and especially for my first real autocross experience.

Anyways, today I thought we were going to have a GoPro to strap onto the roll hoop. Had I known I was going to be wrong, I would have called a buddy of mine who said I could borrow his whenever! Sorry, no pic or video updates.

No I'm with NC State University and I believe we go to Michigan for competition

Definitely excited and can't wait to get some more experience.

PureStang

Established Member
I did SAE Baja, but my faculty lead was on penn states 2002 formula team. He bought the car off the school so he could tinker with it. We could play with the formula car whenever we wanted. Theyre soo freaking fast. was powered by a 2001 cbr600 engine.

snaked

Attractive Member
Established Member
Sweet dude. I thought about doing Formula but did Baja instead.

Awesome, it's all what you make of it! Our Baja team missed competition by a couple hours this last year due to their differential, I think. It was pretty frustrating to them. Funny thing is, the only major problem we've had on our car before today was our differential too! We solved it by welding it :lol1:

I'm getting involved on this year's FSAE team here at the University of Kentucky...My senior design project was SUPPOSED to be building a turbo system for car, but they have since decided to drop that project. Now, we are building a carbon fiber steering wheel with hand clutches and push button air shifter system. Will still be very cool.

Very cool! We are running a push/pull cable for the shifter and it can definitely be improved.

Heck yeah Snaked!! I was out there today in my blue 2008 sti haha. That thing sounded sweet. :rockon:

Nice, and thanks! There were a couple STI's out there, so I'm not sure which was you. I think we met last year on that cruise to Payson? Not sure on that one.

No I'm with NC State University and I believe we go to Michigan for competition

Definitely excited and can't wait to get some more experience.

I hope we go to Michigan for competition. We went to Nebraska this year.

lame...track video is private...

Should be the same as the other one? :shrug: Follow the link just above the video if you have problems. I have it set to private so that only people with the link (and hopefully who view where I embed it) can see it.

Users who are viewing this thread