What HP?

Greymare

Established Member
What is the highest Horse Power that anyone has gotten out of a Stock 03-04 Cobra shortblock? How long has it or was it running?

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
03PSI said:
MuscleMustangs and Fast Fords got 990 I believe.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

There are literally dozens of these motors down from trying to run/sustain >600rwhp. They last for a while, it varies from few months to several months.

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
postban said:
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

There are literally dozens of these motors down from trying to run/sustain >600rwhp. They last for a while, it varies from few months to several months.
Is the life expectancy that short w/ 600rwhp? :??:

Mike K

مسافر عالمي
Established Member
I-CAN-STANG said:
Is the life expectancy that short w/ 600rwhp? :??:

Thats a good question... subscribing. I already have 600+ HP so maybe i should start holding off on my othermods and start saving for a shortblock.

awaiting more info......

blk04cobra1

1000rwhp coming soon
Established Member
The car comes with FORGED internals...the reason people are eating up their shortblocks is due to overheating issues...just make sure you have a good cooling system and you should be fine...these motors have the components to hold up to a high amount of HP if you take the right precautionary measures.

Mike K

مسافر عالمي
Established Member
blk04cobra1 said:
The car comes with FORGED internals...the reason people are eating up their shortblocks is due to overheating issues...just make sure you have a good cooling system and you should be fine...these motors have the components to hold up to a high amount of HP if you take the right precautionary measures.

Well that is good to know. The "other mods" i had mentioned in my previous post were all going to be supporting mods (a ton of cooling mods, drivetrain mods, and rear end mods) so it sounds like i am on the right track.

-Mike

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
blk04cobra1 said:

1 thousandth of an inch piston to wall clearance w/ forged pistons + 600 horsepower worth of :burn: = HELLO cylinder wall...

Time for ALL the Evans cooling mods plus the LDC left head cooling mod...

then maybe...

without the cooling mods ...... eventual certain DEATH!!!

Jimmy :bash:

Mike K

مسافر عالمي
Established Member
Jimmysidecarr said:
1 thousandth of an inch piston to wall clearance w/ forged pistons + 600 horsepower worth of :burn: = HELLO cylinder wall...

Time for ALL the Evans cooling mods plus the LDC left head cooling mod...

then maybe...

without the cooling mods ...... eventual certain DEATH!!!

Jimmy :bash:

I read one of your other posts (in a different thread) with a breakdown of the cooling mods you recommend. Just got a question, which radiator would you recommend?

ORANGE CRUSH

Bayou City Terminator
Established Member
Mike K said:
I read one of your other posts (in a different thread) with a breakdown of the cooling mods you recommend. Just got a question, which radiator would you recommend?

Yeah jimmy, Witch one????

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
The rad alone isn't going to get it done!!!

Until the new one with the air to air oil cooler made into the bottom comes down in price I'll have to say Fluidyne($379.00 I think @ Evans)...

Evans Tstat and housing a MUST!!!
Evans coolant inlet..... a MUST!!!
Fuidyne Radiator.... a Must
Evans water pump.... a MUST

Actually unless you want to do some thing about the piston to wall clearance... anyone with a pulley or Twin Screw blower.... "UPGRADE"... needs to get that extra heat they are now making ----->OUT!!!

I would think with all these blown motor threads all over the place ... people would be all over this....

Yet the majority of modded owners still think an HE is a cooling mod :bash: :bash:

It's NOT!!!

If it helps you make more horsepower(and it does) then it is helping you make more heat(in the engine coolant)

Please let's stop the madness!!!

These pistons are an extreme compromise.... they are not race pistons ... they are not set up with race piston clearances...

They are very strong, very quiet(tight), forged(4032) emissions friendly(top ring right at the top, w/ gap set too tight) pistons meant to tolerate about 500(flywheel) horsepower worth of heat and stress in ----->an occasional WOT use scenario.

A good article on pistons for those who would like to do a little catching up...
---> http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/77899/

It's your choice...

keep em cool...

or

rebuild with stronger forged pistons with more clearance....(actually there are a few who have blown these too ---->do to an over heated left bank :bash: )

Jimmy :dw:

Mike K

مسافر عالمي
Established Member
:bored: maybe i didnt explain myself... i was planning on doing ALL the OTHER cooling mods... i was just undesided on which radiator to get.

*EDIT*... but thanks for the info again anyway. I have a KB 2.2 on the car so the cooling mods are on the top of my list.

Last edited:

Fast Willy

Established Member

where can I get these mods from and how much do they usually run?

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Mike K said:
:bored: maybe i didnt explain myself... i was planning on doing ALL the OTHER cooling mods... i was just undesided on which radiator to get.

*EDIT*... but thanks for the info again anyway. I have a KB 2.2 on the car so the cooling mods are on the top of my list.

Sorry.. sometimes I get more than one thread going and well...... DUH :smmon:

Yea right now the fluidyne is looking like the best rad deal... just have to slot the holes in the ABS bracket... and it bolts right in

I'm encouraged to hear that you are doing them all...
I'm such a Ford nut that I want everyone to get the most out of their Terminator with out blowing them up and tarnishing our already shaky reputation.

Jimmy :beer:

Greymare

Established Member
Where is some good info on there left bank cooling mod?
And where is the best place to buy these thing.
Fuidyne Radiator.... a MUST

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
Jimmysidecarr said:
The rad alone isn't going to get it done!!!

Until the new one with the air to air oil cooler made into the bottom comes down in price I'll have to say Fluidyne($379.00 I think @ Evans)...

this is the first time i've heard of these cooling mods. and what are you trying to say a heat exchanger doesn't help cool???

subscribing

Mike K

مسافر عالمي
Established Member
Wings65288 said:
this is the first time i've heard of these cooling mods. and what are you trying to say a heat exchanger doesn't help cool???

subscribing

I think what he is saying is that the HE only helps with the AIT temps... we need to cool the ENGINE.

Here is a good place to start with the cooling mods....

http://www.evanscooling.com/main1.htm

Users who are viewing this thread