What happened to a significantly smaller and lighter 2015 Mustang?

darreng505

Established Member
Variable cam timing is nothing new. OHV Pushrod motors were first introduced in the mid 1900's. OHC motors have been around since the early 1900's. The DOHC engine design has been used by many car manufacturers for much longer than the pushrod motor has. Best you learn a bit about engine history before you go ranting about pushrods being older. The only thing older about the pushrod 302 when compared to the 4.6 and 5.0 dohc engines is that ford built their ohc engines after the ohv engines. That does not make pushrod engine technology "older" by any means. One design is also not better than the other any more than you can prove that ford is better than Chevy or vice versa. Different strokes and it all gets the job done. Fords dohc engines are far from new technology. Don't mean to burst your ford bubble. Sorry dude.

Wrong....

50 Proof

Established Member
Oh OK that's nice....hold on listen for a second. That's the sound of the internet not giving a shit.

Last edited:

tbi0904

Established Member
Motor trend this in this months issue states the base car weighs 3,450, thats only 100-200+lbs ligther, but thats only due to offering a 4 cylinder now.

It's a guess just like Edmunds 100 lbs over a '14 guess that some people still continue to quote as fact. The cars Ford has been showing off are prototypes, not final production Mustangs. Want to know why Ford hasn't released weight and power specs yet? It's simple, the car isn't finished yet. When they have a showroom ready Mustang to show off we'll get all the #'s we want. I'm still sticking to 50-100 lbs. weight loss for a GT compared to a '14.

NametoShowOther

Established Member
Motor trend this in this months issue states the base car weighs 3,450, thats only 100-200+lbs ligther, but thats only due to offering a 4 cylinder now.

The only thing one can say is that they are wrong as most rumors are, but they could be close or the could be off either way a few hundred pounds.

01turbowolf

ford tech
Established Member
D.I. is nothing new either just adapted from diesels. put it in a pony car and the aftermarket will catch up quick, bigger injectors or machining out the orifices, higher pressure pumps, its all doable. i would say the tech isnt new, but the engineering that goes into the product is way beyond where it used to be, making almost the same power with 1 liter or so less, with an equal cost is pretty impressive to me.

americansteel

Banned
D.I. is nothing new either just adapted from diesels. put it in a pony car and the aftermarket will catch up quick, bigger injectors or machining out the orifices, higher pressure pumps, its all doable. i would say the tech isnt new, but the engineering that goes into the product is way beyond where it used to be, making almost the same power with 1 liter or so less, with an equal cost is pretty impressive to me.

I posted some where on this forum the reason why ford wont add DI to all of their engines and the increases weren't even substantial compared to other engines by the manufacture.
"making almost the same power with 1 liter or so less, with an equal cost is pretty impressive to me" how is that impressive?
if you're referring to the coyote 5.0 compared to LS3 and the dodge V8 no its not impressive and it only shows the problem ford layed out for the consumer.

50 Proof

Established Member
It's a guess just like Edmunds 100 lbs over a '14 guess that some people still continue to quote as fact. The cars Ford has been showing off are prototypes, not final production Mustangs. Want to know why Ford hasn't released weight and power specs yet? It's simple, the car isn't finished yet. When they have a showroom ready Mustang to show off we'll get all the #'s we want. I'm still sticking to 50-100 lbs. weight loss for a GT compared to a '14.

The car is plenty finished. The 2015 will be available in less than a year. No way in hell they're still in the design phase and still engineering parts. At this point in the game, the entire design has been locked down and engineered. The tooling has been built. Ford is likely setting up the factory now for full scale production. No way in hell there's anything unfinished about this car. Hell, the first one already sold at Barret Jackson. Want to know why Ford isn't releasing the weight figures yet? Because there is no substantial weight savings. The weight of the car isn't anything that anyone outside of these enthusiast forums gives two shits about.

Most people are going to get into a sub 4000lb car with over 400 HP, put the pedal down to the floor, and go home with a giant grin on their face. If you get in a 2015 and honestly walk away thinking ****, this car sucks, it would be awesome if it weighed 300lbs less, I'll buy you a hamburger lmao

Last edited:

jes_csx

Established Member
The car sold at barrett jackson is one of 9-10 currently existing hand built prototypes that will be crushed. The car there was basically a placeholder for the first production car that will go to the public. That car left with ford. That said, they are still doing lots of work on the car and still getting parts in from suppliers to approve for production. They dont know the weights on all of these parts yet.

50 Proof

Established Member
You seriously thing ford is still doing development work on a car that is less than one year out from sitting on dealership lots? Come on man, think about it.

darreng505

Established Member
I posted some where on this forum the reason why ford wont add DI to all of their engines and the increases weren't even substantial compared to other engines by the manufacture.
"making almost the same power with 1 liter or so less, with an equal cost is pretty impressive to me" how is that impressive?
if you're referring to the coyote 5.0 compared to LS3 and the dodge V8 no its not impressive and it only shows the problem ford layed out for the consumer.

Stop being a dum dum. The reduction in CI's can mean more space for thicker/stronger sidewalls, so if I can get the same power from a 302 road runner/coyote as a bigger CI LS3, I'm taking the coyote ALL DAY LONG.

As I also mentioned (and just ask any corvette guys who track their cars), those motors DROP OUT after a couple years of moderate track use. Why? thin cylinder walls in exchange for cubic inch bragging rights. THATS the problem Chevy created for their consumer. Not Ford.

Agree.

Last edited:

americansteel

Banned
Stop being a dum dum. The reduction in CI's can mean more space for thicker/stronger sidewalls, so if I can get the same power from a 302 road runner/coyote as a bigger CI LS3, I'm taking the coyote ALL DAY LONG.

the 5.0 coyote makes right around 445HP at 6600RPM see how high that engine has to rev to make its peak power.
reduction in cubic inches? are you kidding me? reduction from what was there in the first place to require a reduction? the mustang gained cubic inches over a 4.6l which displaced 281" a reduction in cubic inches doesn't mean stronger cylinder wall's. bore spacing, material's and how wide the deck's are will dictate that. look at the 6.2l ford uses in the raptor/superduty truck's 4 inch bore's that block is strong as hell even with an aluminum block that engine would still be strong.
yes the LS engines can use a tad more spacing but still those engines have the advantage on pushing MORE AIR and FUEL something the 5.0 will never be able to do. DUM DUM
...........................................................................................................

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
Push-Rod engines are riddled with parasitic loss, thus, a larger displacement is required to contend with Over Head Cams. The reason pushrod engines cannot rev high is due to valve float and the inefficient action of the push rods themselves. Even the mighty LS7 has horrible valve float... OHV engines are basically forced to produce power at a lower RPM, they just lose power once the RPM's raise, friction from the push rods invite parasitic losses AND, the inefficient action of those rods translate to poor valve control and valve float...

Chevy needs to go DOHC... But they are stuck now after investing $820 million dollars into the LT1 program. They could have engineered a great 4.5-5.5 liter DOHC for the same cost... Even now, DOHC R&D cost have sunk below the OHV engines due to widespread, worldwide use.

The complexity of Variable Valve Timing in an OHV is also slightly greater than the TiVCT in a DOHC. This VCT technology is key to the survival of the V8.

Total valve area in a DOHC is twice the size of a 2 valve pushrod. Say a large 2.02 intake valve compared to the dual intake valves of a Coyote... The total area is almost 3 inches compared to the 2 of a heavy OHV. You have to shim some OHV heads because of this...

Engine weight: The Coyote 5.0 now weighs less than Chevy's new LT1. The Coyote is 429lbs wet, ready to run. The LT1 took on 30-40lbs over the LS3 (418lbs), about the same as the LS7 (450lbs). All advantages have been lost...

Last edited:

50 Proof

Established Member
And a dohc 5.0 engine requires 3 extra cams and twice as many valves to make as much power as an lsx or hemi. I'm not sure I'm understanding your point. I personally prefer more power and torque down low. Having to rev an engine up to 7k to get any power and enjoyment out of it just sucks ass to me.

Users who are viewing this thread