What happened to 93 octane in Iowa?

filthymcnasty

Established Member
Last summer I was surprised (read depressed) when I went to fill my car up for its hibernation that Iowa no longer sells 93 octane (at least in the Quad Cities area). I'm in the military and hadn't been back there in awhile...does anyone know the scoop on this?

gofastl

Life's a garden- Dig It!
Established Member
We got 93 in ames over here, iam sure not alot of people are buying it so they just do the regular 91. Sucks though Kum and go had alot of it once upon a time

zeus201

Established Member
93 is hard to come by in Iowa and as well as here in the Twin Cities. I have found a station that does have 93 here in town I'm at which is nice.

When we used to live in Ames, I'd shoot over to the Kum & Go over off of Mortensen and South Dakota. The gas station across from Caseys on Lincoln Way also sold 93 as well. I swore the BP gas stations use to push 93 but dropped it to 92 or 91....

gofastl

Life's a garden- Dig It!
Established Member
Kum and go got rid of it only the 23 1/2 or whatever has it across from the caseys

Black Sex

Established Member
I dont know if I would trust the Walmart/Hyvee gas being 93oct. I was told the 91 and 93 around is pretty much the same around this area. But thats where I used to get it. Some BP's still have it around here but its like $.20-.$30 per gal more than 91oct

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
Ya, BP used to be 92, now its all 91.

Cheap places, like "kwik shop" have ethanol in there 91 now too i noticed.

yellow03cobra

Established Member
93 is 93, only difference is the stoich in ethanol is higher. A higher stoich means the a/f could be up to a half of point leaner. Reason being some have issues with it. If the tune is safe there are no worries.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread