What gets changed in the tune for the JLT big air

Robot_trainer

Established Member
Just curious, outside of the MAF changes, and changes for a colder t stat, more aggresive timing for higher octane fuel, what is done to the tune for a JLT big air cold air system? Are the OEM fuel tables changed? Im starting to understand how things work but not entirely.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Depends on tuner. Really you dont need the JLT big cold air system if everything else is still stock.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Maf , changes, fueling if needed. I hope your not running it without a tune.

Tunes normally get changed based on logs.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I see this is related to the other thread you have. I posted in that thread too.

Would of been easier just to ask the question in the same thread you had going since it looks like it all relates to the sams issue.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
The MAF transfer function is what is changed when the tube size the MAF is located is changed. The sensor interprets airflow different the bigger or smaller the tube is from the stock diameter (at the sensor). I wouldn't think the screen makes that much difference, but it could be you were off before and the change was enough to throw you outside of the compensation range of adaptive controls. You're going to need a tune revision to correct it.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
The MAF transfer function is what is changed when the tube size the MAF is located is changed. The sensor interprets airflow different the bigger or smaller the tube is from the stock diameter (at the sensor). I wouldn't think the screen makes that much difference, but it could be you were off before and the change was enough to throw you outside of the compensation range of adaptive controls. You're going to need a tune revision to correct it.
This^ The tuner will probably make a global change to the maf table and get in the ballpark but there may need to be some fine tuning for idle / drivability / wot. The maf curve is what the entire tune is based on and you are changing that with a different maf. You might get lucky and have the car start but definetly will need a custom tune.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I didn't see your other thread, but I have a question. Why did you go with the bigger air intake in the first place (based on the mods in your signature)?

Ray Lucca

Established Member
So on a 13-14 Shelby with the Ford Racing Res. Delete, Airaid Dry Filter, a 91* Tune and either a Ford Racing or VMP Twin TB is the JLT or Pmas Cai needed?? Heard the New Cai is needed only when a smaller Pulley is installed?? Thanx..

Robot_trainer

Established Member
I didn't see your other thread, but I have a question. Why did you go with the bigger air intake in the first place (based on the mods in your signature)?
At the time I was told it would pick up some torque and horsepower. Just to be clear, this is the 13-6 kit that Revan sells. It did make the throttle more responsive and since I needed a tune for the 3.73 gears and 170 t stat, I figured I may as well install it. The reason I am asking all these questions is that since the filter change and revised tune I got from JLT I've been having all kinds of issues. It could be that something sensor is not working right and its just a coincidence since I re-loaded the old tune and its till doing the same thing (difficult starting-engine revs up to 1200rpm and then tries to stall, catches and settles at the proper rpm), wonky idle-sometimes drops 250rpm when first stopped and the settles at 750 rpm, LTFT is low at cruise speeds-2500rpm 3rd gear, -17 B2, -14 bank 1, and higher at idle -9 B2, -5 B1. Vacuum at steady state driving seems high at 22-23hg/in. The distance to empty is way off. 500km to empty full (used to be 350). I've reset the computer several times and reloaded the Lund tune twice. This tune has been fine for the last 5 years unless its corrupted. Do these things have a MAP sensor and a MAF? I cant find reference to it in the service manual

Robot_trainer

Established Member
I see this is related to the other thread you have. I posted in that thread too.

Would of been easier just to ask the question in the same thread you had going since it looks like it all relates to the same issue.
In hind sight Yes! I guess the reason for it is not thinking one had anything to do with the other. At this point I'm baffled. Last week it was just a slight surge. Since the filter change, new tune loaded, old tune loaded, poor start up and and unsettled idle, high negative fuel trims where prior to this there was no problems. Is the ECU scrambled, did a sensor coincidentally start going bad when all these revisions were being loaded/old tunes loaded. I'm just looking for the best approach to get it back to normal. I could throw all the old OEM air intake on. The speedo will be out, and the fans wont be set up for the colder thermostat. I think the cobrajet throttle body wont make a difference.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
In hind sight Yes! I guess the reason for it is not thinking one had anything to do with the other. At this point I'm baffled. Last week it was just a slight surge. Since the filter change, new tune loaded, old tune loaded, poor start up and and unsettled idle, high negative fuel trims where prior to this there was no problems. Is the ECU scrambled, did a sensor coincidentally start going bad when all these revisions were being loaded/old tunes loaded. I'm just looking for the best approach to get it back to normal. I could throw all the old OEM air intake on. The speedo will be out, and the fans wont be set up for the colder thermostat. I think the cobrajet throttle body wont make a difference.
Probably just need a custom tune done for your mods. Someone you can send datalogs to so they can adjust.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member

Have you been able to send data logs to Lund?

Some some users on the site are pretty good at reading logs too if you have some you could post.

Robot_trainer

Established Member
Have you been able to send data logs to Lund?

Some some users on the site are pretty good at reading logs too if you have some you could post.
I was trying to do that buy for some reason I cant get communication. At this point I've put the oem cold air back on, replacing the plugs with TR6s. I'll keep the cobrajet throttle body on for now and the headers, 170 stat. I load the old oem tune from lund modified for the 3.73s and see what happens. Worst comes to worst it'll be off to the dealer. They can see what the sensors PCM are doing. Honestly, I just street drive. I dont need JLT unit. I get a proper 93, header, 170, 3.73 , cj throttle body tune based on the oem cold air.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
I was trying to do that buy for some reason I cant get communication. At this point I've put the oem cold air back on, replacing the plugs with TR6s. I'll keep the cobrajet throttle body on for now and the headers, 170 stat. I load the old oem tune from lund modified for the 3.73s and see what happens. Worst comes to worst it'll be off to the dealer. They can see what the sensors PCM are doing. Honestly, I just street drive. I dont need JLT unit. I get a proper 93, header, 170, 3.73 , cj throttle body tune based on the oem cold air.
If you are using a sct device like a xcal 4 I would take the time and get live link 2 working so you can see what car is doing. It's such a huge benefit for you and your tuner. Trying to adjust a tune without datalogs is like trying to drive blind folded.

Robot_trainer

Established Member
If you are using a sct device like a xcal 4 I would take the time and get live link 2 working so you can see what car is doing. It's such a huge benefit for you and your tuner. Trying to adjust a tune without datalogs is like trying to drive blind folded.

Ive run into this situation from time to time. Sometimes the updates arent the same. Anyway, ive solved it. I re installed the oem cold air, left the cj throttle body in place, new TR6 plugs, and the old 91 octane Lund tune for the 3.73 gears. Fired right up. Idle settled immediately and trims are near zero. I cant really tell the difference from the aftermarket cold air or 93 tune. Nearest I can figure is the tune might be corrupted

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Ive run into this situation from time to time. Sometimes the updates arent the same. Anyway, ive solved it. I re installed the oem cold air, left the cj throttle body in place, new TR6 plugs, and the old 91 octane Lund tune for the 3.73 gears. Fired right up. Idle settled immediately and trims are near zero. I cant really tell the difference from the aftermarket cold air or 93 tune. Nearest I can figure is the tune might be corrupted

Get rid of the JLT, you'll be happier with the OEM setup. With a higher flowing filter.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
I think it was the tune. When you changed to the jlt they change the maf transfer function. Requiring data logging and a custom tune. When in doubt reinstall the factory parts.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
A
At the time I was told it would pick up some torque and horsepower. Just to be clear, this is the 13-6 kit that Revan sells. It did make the throttle more responsive and since I needed a tune for the 3.73 gears and 170 t stat, I figured I may as well install it. The reason I am asking all these questions is that since the filter change and revised tune I got from JLT I've been having all kinds of issues. It could be that something sensor is not working right and its just a coincidence since I re-loaded the old tune and its till doing the same thing (difficult starting-engine revs up to 1200rpm and then tries to stall, catches and settles at the proper rpm), wonky idle-sometimes drops 250rpm when first stopped and the settles at 750 rpm, LTFT is low at cruise speeds-2500rpm 3rd gear, -17 B2, -14 bank 1, and higher at idle -9 B2, -5 B1. Vacuum at steady state driving seems high at 22-23hg/in. The distance to empty is way off. 500km to empty full (used to be 350). I've reset the computer several times and reloaded the Lund tune twice. This tune has been fine for the last 5 years unless its corrupted. Do these things have a MAP sensor and a MAF? I cant find reference to it in the service manual
According to Revan, that kit ($1600 seems high to me for what you're getting) nets an additional 75-100 RWHP. The tune is the most critical component. I have to agree with @me32, though, about sticking with the factory housing and just going with a higher flowing air filter. And then I would have done a custom tune. I'll bet you dollars to donuts that you'd net about the same increase in RWHP, depending on the tune.

Robot_trainer

Established Member
After yesterday, Im living proof that this is true! No noticable difference seat of the pants wise between OEM and JLT. I left the cobrajet throttle body, but at this point, for the driving I do, Im leaving it as is. The headers and throttle body are having zero effect on driveability

Users who are viewing this thread