What fun car/DD for $20k or less

bullitt1672

Established Member
Hey guys, I'm going to be laid up for a few weeks because of knee surgery and will have plenty of time to search for a new car. I just sold my 03 cobra and will have another one again, but am wanting something different for awhile. More of a fun, quick, somewhat comfortable daily driver. Was thinking of a Focus ST or a subaru WRX. Any other cars similar to those that perform well and hold their value (probably wont keep the car but a year or so.) I do not want to spend more than $20k on the car, and mods will be minimal like a exhaust/intake/tune.

Any input would be appreciated!

Kiohtee

Established Member
It's not really different, at least as far as still being a V8, RWD and a Mustang, but a 2011-2012 5.0 with an automatic is hard to beat right now. Less than $20K OTD from a dealer, certified at that, and an easy 11 second car with a intake, exhaust, tune and tire. All while knocking down 20+MPG.

Just throwing that out there. :beer:

Last edited:

bullitt1672

Established Member
Thanks for the reply and while I've always liked the new 5.0's, right now I am not wanting another mustang.

kaz109

Established Member
E46 M3 or BRZ....neither are truly "fast" but extremely fun to drive as they connect well and the balance is hard to beat

4barrel

Established Member
Hey guys, I'm going to be laid up for a few weeks because of knee surgery and will have plenty of time to search for a new car. I just sold my 03 cobra and will have another one again, but am wanting something different for awhile. More of a fun, quick, somewhat comfortable daily driver. Was thinking of a Focus ST or a subaru WRX. Any other cars similar to those that perform well and hold their value (probably wont keep the car but a year or so.) I do not want to spend more than $20k on the car, and mods will be minimal like a exhaust/intake/tune.

Any input would be appreciated!

I'm from Kentucky and I have a perfect non-Mustang I'd sell. It's a 2001 Z28 with 56,9xx miles. Drive, enjoy, resell. Send me a PM. You know you want it!

DSGCOBRA24

Established Member
Evo IX. Extremely fun to drive and are dd friendly. I had a 500hp Evo IX and I threw the kitchen sink and everything I could at it and took it like a champ.

bullitt1672

Established Member
I'm from Kentucky and I have a perfect non-Mustang I'd sell. It's a 2001 Z28 with 56,9xx miles. Drive, enjoy, resell. Send me a PM. You know you want it!

Looking to buy something I've never had before, I enjoyed my 4th gen but not what Im wanting right now. Good luck with your sale!

Evo IX. Extremely fun to drive and are dd friendly. I had a 500hp Evo IX and I threw the kitchen sink and everything I could at it and took it like a champ.

Will start my research on these cars. I literally know nothing about Evo's. Such as what years are better, strong points and weak points, etc...

Gen1 CTS-v. 400hp, 4 doors, fun, comfort and more

While they are no doubt badass cars, they have never really done anything for me and I wish I knew why lol.

Buy my twin turbo S4, will have plenty of money left for other things or more mods. As it stands it's a 400awhp car.

Details please.

Gary Macomber

Established Member
1 of the funnest cars I owned was an rx8, the balance is great, feels like driving a go-kart. They aren't all that fast but if you have some back country roads with nice turns they are a ton of fun. You can pick one up for next to nothing but a compression test is a must if you even entertain the idea. Miata is also a very fun driving car if you can fit in 1 comfortably, I am a bit tall for them and they are much more reliable.

I am gonna be looking for a new work car that gets 60k+ miles a year, I am thiking prius(very boring but good mpg), speed3 or focus st.

Steve1578

Established Member
Brz/FR-S are great corner carvers and fairly reliable from what I've heard. I'd take the brz given the choice.

Evo's are good and resale will be easy, reliability is iffy if it's modified and corners have been cut.

S4's are crazy expensive to repair and have a track record of being super unreliable. I saw a post about an s4 up above, and I mean no offense just stating my opinion on the cars for the OP. With that said, everyone I know who's had one has said they loved it, aside from it being in the shop a lot.

ST's are a good choice as well. If you want reliable I would stay with a newer car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vortecd

Established Member

another vote for an Evo. Really enjoy driving mine in the winter months

Sn95Snake

Established Member
I think a BRZ or FRS would be a good daily driver if you can deal with the lack of power.

Of the cars listed above I would go with the EVO or CTS V personally.

SHOdown220

Established Member
Love my 2016 ST. Although it's a focus so resale could be an issue. But it is a blast to drive, plenty of room and decent fuel economy if that matters

beeradd

Established Member
Same as you I put on 50k year due to work.
I would pick a 2014 or newer mazda 6 with tech package.
36mpg averages are no joke when getting reimbursed!

Voltwings

Established Member
I've owned two naturally aspirated cars, and two turbo cars, and they're both so much fun for exact opposite reasons.

Turbo swell is one of the most fun things, even in something as low as 300 whp give or take, its just a massive amount of fun.

Consequently nothing, i mean nothing, beats the instant hit and being pushed back in your seat like a proper naturally aspirated v8. Since that's what you're coming from though, you obviously need to jump over into the turbo crowd now. I have a mazdaspeed3 that i love to death, but i have a buddy that just got an Evo 9 and i gotta say... i would not at all be unhappy with one of those. They are damn cool cars and it looks like it would be a ton of fun.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Fiesta ST or Focus ST. I love my FiST. Amazing DD and fun as hell on the back roads. Only gripe is the lack of a proper diff. Wish it had a torque biasing diff instead of the torque vectoring.

Other than that its a fantastic car.

Users who are viewing this thread