what exhaust to change to

LindsayEOD

Established Member
I have had Roush and now the GT500. I have three different plates for quad exhaust. So I have tried a few combos. Not that happy with the Gt599 which is too quiet, but the Roush are too loud. I need something between. I think I am going with MRT, any comments?

I've had the GT500's and the Roush's on mine. Im now on Borla S-Types. I would put them in between the other two. Maybe a little closer to the GT500 side as far as loudness. They don't drone at all. I would definitely recommend the quality too. The only issue is they are expensive.

yeller1

Established Member
I have not heard of another with my setup as of yet. I have the MAC axle backs with the resonators removed. The boss302 side pipes with electric cutouts. I've also added some "J" pipes to get rid of the drone from the MACS. Yeah, the MACS droned but the "J" pipes removed it, plus they're adjustable. I can fine tune for the drone no matter where in the rpm range it might occur. The reason I went with the "J" pipes is because I love the MAC sound and didn't want to get an exhaust I really didn't want just because they supposedly don't drone. The MACS are the king of deep tone. I got some cat delete pipes but not totally sure if I want to put them on yet. Maybe next year I'll try them.
This setup sounds very very nice. I get a ton of compliments and it can get loud. Everyone says it's loud. Here are some pics of my car underneath to show the pipe work.
jpipes5.gif

jpipes4.gif

jpipes3.gif

jpipes2.gif

jpipes1-1.gif

Last edited:

Muzner

Established Member
How long have you had the Roush? Have you noticed that the drone has decreased with usage? I'm not even sure if that's possible, but I thought it has with mine. Or, am I getting old??

Ps. A mechanic I trust said we could cure the drone by going to a 4.11 rear end. I'm considering this

I had mine on my 2012 GT before for about 20,000 miles. They didn't drone on that car at all. The boss is certainly louder, and I'm thinking the drone is attributed to having the different exhaust setup with the quad H pipe.

I'll probably swap to a different set of mufflers and give these to my girlfriend. She just bought a 2013 GT and says its too quiet.....

cobra1718

Established Member
the J pipe setup is unique for sure. Seems to be alot of work to just eliminate drone. Cant help much with exhaust flow with all those curves

youngboss

Established Member
I have the Borla S-types on mine with sidepipe's uncorked and am very happy. No drone. Only bad thing was the price.

dmv091

Established Member
do you have cats with the flowmasters or is that a off road pipe.

I also loved the mac exhaust any chance i get get a sound clip of the macs?

dmv091

Established Member
86fbody
just noticed your from maryland where do you track your car i am from pa and haven't heard of a good spot.

redline

Established Member
What MRT H-pipe is it? The one with CATS or without and if it is the one with CATS, is it the race version or the performance version? Sounds good whatever version it is!
It is the performance with cats.and stainless works Retro chamber cat back

yeller1

Established Member
the J pipe setup is unique for sure. Seems to be alot of work to just eliminate drone. Cant help much with exhaust flow with all those curves
It really is not a lot of work. The J's were designed and tested quite a bit by a shop in Buffalo. The adjustability it what makes it simple.
The J's do not affect the flow. Only there to cancel unwanted resonance.
They do not affect the tone of the macs in any way.
I had them on a G8GT and they worked flawlessly on that car as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread