what exhaust to change to

dmv091

Established Member
Hello I have a boss LS black #352 I am looking at making it louder and doing some minor mods including oil catch can and a mgw shifter along with a axle back. What mufflers are people running ex. muffler deletes like the pype bomb or slp. vs roush axle backs flows etc....

Thanks in advanced for you responses

Boss949

Established Member
Just installed Roush A/B's.

The more I drive it, the better they sound. Deeper and LOUDER. Side pipes have restrictor discs removed and the bark is still good, deeper also.

There is a drone @2100 rpm in 6th gear. I called Roush and they are surprised. I hardly ever drive in 6th anyway around town, so not a big deal. And for some reason, the more I drive it, the less the drone is. Now, I'm not an engineer, so I don't know if that's even possible; but I'm noticing that.

Bottom Line: I really, really like the Roush and if you are looking for LOUD these should be on a short list along with MRT KR's; Borla, Corsa.

Also, they look much better than the stock unit. Tips are more aggressive looking.

NJSP117

Established Member
Hello I have a boss LS black #352 I am looking at making it louder and doing some minor mods including oil catch can and a mgw shifter along with a axle back. What mufflers are people running ex. muffler deletes like the pype bomb or slp. vs roush axle backs flows etc....

Thanks in advanced for you responses

Depends on how loud you want to go. I had the 12 GT500 mufflers and with the restrictor plates removed, they sounded great. Louder and deeper than the stock exhaust, but not crazy where you can't hear anything on the phone....
I now have the 2013 quad exhaust on my Boss and it sounds as good as the 2012 axlebacks...

Boss949

Established Member
put the boss 302r exhaust on it. ford racing

Is that #M5230 MSVR you are referring to?

just curious b/c I noticed before I ordered the Roush, that they were real similar in design and even shared the some of the same #'s as far as product ID Ford Racing M5230 Roush 5230RRK

I wonder who the Manufacturer is for both?

I know there were internet rumors of Roush's made in China, but my contacts claimed they were not, but would not disclose proprietary info.

I checked all my packaging for "made in china" and no where to be found on any of the materials. ??

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
i dont know anything about the 302r exhaust except that it creates more power. race car parts are for function. if louder doesnt make more power, they dont bother. i personally dont care if its louder or quieter. i just want the power.

Boss949

Established Member
dmv091

Most Axle Back's will add "Louder" over the stock Boss exhausts. I think question was related to Louder.

Those Mustang AB's in the YouTube (5230) are more $$$$ than the Roush, although as I posted they look real similar. I think the Ford Racing are $6-700. Roush list for $489 direct and other places have them for a little less.

So back to your original Question: Louder? Roush.

dmv091

Established Member
To that question of louder vs power. How much power can any axle backs offer without a tune for them. All i have is the track key tune would this make a noticable difference. I am all for power vs louder I was under the impression there wasn't much if any power to gain from a axle back without changing the midpipe. Hence why I was going for more volume. I haven't seen any write ups online of axleback gains on a boss.

Boss949

Established Member
To that question of louder vs power. How much power can any axle backs offer without a tune for them. All i have is the track key tune would this make a noticable difference. I am all for power vs louder I was under the impression there wasn't much if any power to gain from a axle back without changing the midpipe. Hence why I was going for more volume. I haven't seen any write ups online of axleback gains on a boss.

The engineers and mechanics here will know for sure.

I have seen 5-7 HP increase in various advertising. Most will say increased performance because of less restriction.

I can say that I can tell some difference in acceleration, etc. However, most power gains with H Pipe will be realized if the factory Cats are removed. Factory Cats are responsible for a good portion of air flow restriction. Many Boss owners elect to add an after-market CAI with a Tune and remove Cats, etc. This is the way to add more power.

Since I have the TracKey, I am limited on Tuning options. However, I will probably get a custom tune from Shawn at AED; add an Airaid CAI on the Silver Key. When I use the Red Key, then I can use the "MVT insert" for Airaid; return tune to stock and use the Red Key.

So, bottom line for me? I wanted increase in Loudness first, so I added Axle Backs. Later I will go with a Tune and get the increase in Power.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Muzner

Established Member
I have a set of Roush axle backs on my car with the side plates completely removed. It drones like Boss949 mentioned. I went on a 500 mile round trip the other day and it's noticeable but not horrible. I'm thinking of switching to something else.

They do sound good aside from that issue.

Boss949

Established Member
I have a set of Roush axle backs on my car with the side plates completely removed. It drones like Boss949 mentioned. I went on a 500 mile round trip the other day and it's noticeable but not horrible. I'm thinking of switching to something else.

They do sound good aside from that issue.

How long have you had the Roush? Have you noticed that the drone has decreased with usage? I'm not even sure if that's possible, but I thought it has with mine. Or, am I getting old??

Ps. A mechanic I trust said we could cure the drone by going to a 4.11 rear end. I'm considering this

Last edited:

Jroc

Established Member
I vote for a complete Stainless Works system.(headers back)

That should help get you noticed.

dmv091

Established Member
thanks for the info i think i am gona try a few out probably start with the roush or ford racing and then see how i like it. Not trying to tune it till its outta warrenty by then lets hope theres some way to keep the track key features with a better more aggressive tune.

RSKtakR

Established Member
I had the Roush mufflers on my 2011 GT with an o/r x-pipe, and that damn car was LOUD but sounded wicked. I LOVE the sound of the exhaust on my Boss with the restrictor plates out. IF I was to put different mufflers on I think I would be going the Ford racing route though as I dont want it to loud.

OrangeCompete

Roadrunner
Established Member
I've had the Roush about a year and couldn't be happier. They drone at 2K in 6th gear, but this car is meant to rev and I'm rarely in that range...

cobra1718

Established Member
I have had Roush and now the GT500. I have three different plates for the quad exhaust. So I have tried a few combos. Not that happy with the Gt500 which is too quiet, but the Roush are too loud. I need something between. I think I am going with MRT, any comments?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread