What ever happened to the "new" GTO?

Nuclrslug

Kwality iz job won.
Established Member
After all the hype I haven't seen one on the road yet. I know it wouldn't be a fair fight with the Terminator but fun none the less. I dig Bob Lutz, any performance car is usually a good thing. Was it still born or still too soon to tell? Opinions.................... :shrug:

stang99svt

Enter something here
Established Member
I passed one on Northwestern highway last wensday. Manufactures plates. Dark Blue. Looked nice but really to mcuh like a longer neon.

Nuclrslug

Kwality iz job won.
Established Member
Originally posted by Yates...Man
The chassis is pretty high quality. It is built by the Australian co. Holden. The looks are unattractive to me however.

Agree with the looks opinion. Car and Driver gave it good marks but nailed it on the "organic" styling. (IMHO eggs belong in the frying pan, not in my garage). It seemed to be GM's answer to the Cobra but then everything just petered off. It should have good performance potential. I guess I'm just curious as to the price. I got tired of everyone saying (referring to the Cobra) "that's allot of cash for a Mustang". Well, in rebuttal, "that's allot of money for a Camaro/Firebird. :burn:

03 Red Cobra

Established Member
I was with my brother the other day when he took a new GTO for a 15 mile test ride. For one thing, the seats in the car are great and it has way more front seat room than our cars. Now that said, I didn't care for the external look. Way to plain looking. And I don't like the look of the dual exhaust only exiting on the left side. Looks like an import to me. It did sound pretty good for a stock exhaust. As for performance, the car only had 23 miles on it and along with my brother and me, the big horse of a salesman crawled into the back seat, the added weight had to be at least 700 lbs. It didn't pull as hard at any rpm like our cars do stock. And the 6 speed was pretty clunky. A common trait for the tremec T-56. I would not buy the car and neither did my brother. I understand next year they will have a Judge option with a 400 hp LS6 engine and will also have a proper looking dual exhaust out the back.

Nuclrslug

Kwality iz job won.
Established Member
Originally posted by Sonic Blue 2003
I was with my brother the other day when he took a new GTO for a 15 mile test ride. For one thing, the seats in the car are great and it has way more front seat room than our cars. Now that said, I didn't care for the external look. Way to plain looking. And I don't like the look of the dual exhaust only exiting on the left side. Looks like an import to me. It did sound pretty good for a stock exhaust. As for performance, the car only had 23 miles on it and along with my brother and me, the big horse of a salesman crawled into the back seat, the added weight had to be at least 700 lbs. It didn't pull as hard at any rpm like our cars do stock. And the 6 speed was pretty clunky. A common trait for the tremec T-56. I would not buy the car and neither did my brother. I understand next year they will have a Judge option with a 400 hp LS6 engine and will also have a proper looking dual exhaust out the back.

"Here come da Judge, Here come da Judge".

Interesting. But what will it cost? It'll have the Z06 engine but it still won't touch an 03 stock Cobra.
I'd like to stress, I wouldn't have given you 2 cents for a Mustang before but I've got to tell you, I'm in love with this car now. The Cobra reminds me of the factory racers you always heard about of the late 60's: Slicks, exhaust and you're down in the 11's. The engineers at SVT must have been winking to each other when they finalized the specs. :rockon:

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
I like the car, they just should of avoided the GTO nameplate and it would get much more favorable overall oppinions, IMHO. I think naming a high performance "Judge" would be a marketing mistake(on top of another one). If they had named it "Pontiac STC(sport touring coupe)" or something, from the get-go, I dont think so many people would be abrasive to it.:thumbsup:

Hepcat007

Established Member
I saw one on the road the other day actually. I just can't stand to look at it. maybe if it was called the new grand prix or bonneville i could like it. But the appearance does not live up to the name. it has no styling cues from the past. the mustang has kept styling cues from its roots and so should the gto. i think it was someone on this board that said it looked like a grand prix had sex with a cavalier. just my opinion however.

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by Nuclrslug
After all the hype I haven't seen one on the road yet. I know it wouldn't be a fair fight with the Terminator but fun none the less. I dig Bob Lutz, any performance car is usually a good thing. Was it still born or still too soon to tell? Opinions.................... :shrug:

I saw one going the opposite direction on the interestate about a week ago... I had to do one of those double takes because I thought the damn thing was a Grand Prix.

And as far as an LS6 powered "Judge" goes... By the time they get an LS6 in that thing the new Mustangs will be out. The cold hard truth about it is though, I highly doubt even an LS6 would be enough to get the 3800lbs GTO to move as fast as the current 03/04 Cobra let alone whatever superstang is roaming the streets come 2006. When GM got rid of the F-body they really threw themselves out of sync, with the acception of the up and comming C6, IMO. Does GM want Ford to put out a Mustang Corvette competitor?? It sure as hell seems like they're asking for it to me, because I know Ford isnt going to sit around and wait for the GTO to catch up.

Last edited:

Vancouver83LTD

Established Member
it's funny how the mustang was almost stopped after the 93' model year, that in the early 90's it's future was in doubt - then they had the SN95...
then, in 2002, the mustang is stronger than ever and the competitor across town has announced it's demise...
Funny how life works.
Anyways, wait for the new GTO to come out.
I'd be interested in seeing ford bring some aus spec performance cars over - i.e. the TS50, or something. Maybe GM will bring over the HSV GTS?

jakhammer

Established Member
I saw one roaming the streets. I was lined up with it at a stop light and threw it a couple revs. Come to find out it was a college Automotive teacher I had that works as a Service Manager at a local Pontiac dealer. He wouldnt race since it was a dealer car. We were heading to the same place for some lunch (just by chance) so we chatted for a few. Never even brought up the vehicals. I stil want to race one with the L though.

Chris

nj7703

Established Member
I saw one.. i think... or was it a GTP? no no it was a GTO... no wait, was it a 2 door Grand Am?? no no.. a GTO... :nonono: BLAND in an understatement. Pontiac either makes cookie cutter designs, or makes a turd like the Aztec. GM is screwed, look what happened to Caddy with all their "stealth" cars. All the cars look the same. The GTO would fly better if it STOOD OUT!

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Why do people insist on comparing the GTO to a Cobra? GM didn't make the car to compete with the Cobra, give it a rest.

Although the exterior styling is bland at best, just about everything else on the car is right. I'd say it's a general step in the right direction for GM.

nj7703, Caddy is kicking ass and taking names right now.

nj7703

Established Member
Originally posted by 03CobraHopeful

nj7703, Caddy is kicking ass and taking names right now.

Ohh no doubt, the CTSv will be amazing. Just wish the cars had the styling to match the grunt. Or i wish they had more individuality. No doubt the GTO is a good step for GM, just again, wish it stood out more.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Originally posted by nj7703
Ohh no doubt, the CTSv will be amazing. Just wish the cars had the styling to match the grunt. Or i wish they had more individuality. No doubt the GTO is a good step for GM, just again, wish it stood out more.

I think the CTS-V looks really good. Sat in a black one at the Houston Auto Show. The interior is just a little on the bland side, but definitely nice. The exterior looks badass though. Aggressive styling, nice wheels, huge brakes, and of course 400hp. :beer:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I haven't been impressed with the GTO at all. A sad attempt at recovering the ghost of the '60s-'70s GTO. I still say it looks like a chunky Cavalier. LOL! The Judge version, if they do it, will up the ante of course, but it will still be a nice motor in an ugly car. GM could have made this a special and new car from the bottom up but they chose to go with an existing car and modify it to save money. That's why I converted from a life-time GM buff to Ford. JMO.

Users who are viewing this thread