What % Driveline loss on the 13's?

ALLNTRL

Established Member
I KNOW , I read this on here somewhere a few days ago, but Now I can't find it to save my life!!! :mj: Anyone know the % compared to the older GT 500's? :shrug: Thanks! :read:

BlownAway03

Established Member
I just read in an article that Ford stated that the loss is only 8%. Read that in 5.0 Mustang. The standard 15% loss assumption does not apply to this car. It shows in the rwhp numbers these cars have been making as well.

96GT/SC

Ford Fan
Established Member
How can anyone say 8% or 10% without pulling an engine and putting it on a dyno? Simply saying a 600whp car must have 10% driveline loss because the manufacturer says it has 662hp at the engine makes no sense and is hard to believe. Perhaps they are under rated? 690hp equates to 600whp with 15% driveline loss. That makes more sense imo.

Dadz500

Established Member
How can anyone say 8% or 10% without pulling an engine and putting it on a dyno? Simply saying a 600whp car must have 10% driveline loss because the manufacturer says it has 662hp at the engine makes no sense and is hard to believe. Perhaps they are under rated? 690hp equates to 600whp with 15% driveline loss. That makes more sense imo.

I would imagine you are correct and that they have in fact had the motor alone on the dyne, I would assume that is how they came up with the official hp rating.

I read in the new 5.0 it was 8%, which by the way, i highly suggest anyone who does not get 5.0 to go and buy a copy. Two articles on the new Shelby, but the one tells all the little things they did to improve the car for 13' and it was a very impressive and very informative article that for me at least, made me appreciate my car just a bit more. There was a lot of time, lot of money and a lot of engineers involved in this process and I think it is so much more impressive after reading the article.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member

This. I asked DBK about the certification and he did not know the specifics. Keep in mind that every motor off the line has to be above that which is stated so there should be a good amount of leeway between the actual certification pulls and 662 in which you see.

That being said engines/drivetrains have been getting more efficient but no where near where the Ford GT is at which I believe is in the 7 to 8% range. For the GT500 I believe its will probably be 12-13%. To put it nicely most GT500 will put out more than the 662!:beer:

rwboring

Established Member

typically cars are underrated...

i actually thought the horsepower rating had to be taken from several motors to ensure that it would meet that. So if 662 is on the low end.

Also if they are dynoing around 600 then that is roughly 10% from 662 I would estimate the typical motor is putting out closer to 680-690

spazpilot

Established Member
Saw a stock 2013 here in Dallas lay down 589rwhp which is about a 11% drivetrain loss. Most magazines I've notice are getting about the same. 10-15% is pretty standard.

91svtbird

Established Member
Saw a stock 2013 here in Dallas lay down 589rwhp which is about a 11% drivetrain loss. Most magazines I've notice are getting about the same. 10-15% is pretty standard.

Yep I agree ......if anything a more realistic # maybe 12% as opposed to 15% loss and yes that is pretty standard but on the more efficient side.

mullens

Established Member
I'm not convinced about the 8% loss. Every manual car is subject to about 12% loss and I don't see anything different in the GT500''s drivetrain to make it different. I'm leaning toward the engine being underrated which makes more sense.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
The odds that a GT500 motor is 662 at the crank or below is very remote. The certification is higher with a certain percent drop to make sure every motor is above the minimum output.

8% is your typical loss in vehicles with rear mounted transaxle like the vette, Ferrari, Ford GT.

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
I have heard it said that drive line loss is nonlinear. Thus the higher the power output the lower the percentage of loss. So, while it may be closer to 12-15% at lower HP levels, it drops off (percentage wise) at full output levels.

Bob Cosby

Established Member
There is no "standard" loss. 8%, 10%, 15%, 20%, whatever%, it just doesn't fly.

The 2013 GT500 has an SAE Certified 662 HP. In order to carry that SAE certificatin, cars must not vary more than 1% up or down from this. Look it up....don't take my word for it.

A chassis dyno is a TUNING TOOL. It is not intended to show how much power an engine makes at the flywheel, nor will it.

But, folks will keep on doing just that...and dyno racing their results too.

Have fun. :)

C6Z06427

Established Member
Apparently that carbon fiber driveshaft does wonders in reducing driveline losses. It's got to way way less than the previous steel or aluminum units

Users who are viewing this thread