What does it take to get a 99-04 GT in the 12's???

01FormulaTA

Established Member
OK so I would like to know what it would take for a 99-04 mustang GT M5 to get into the 12's??? This is assuming, full weight, and no slicks.....

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
M5? is that 5spd? Sorry but I never heard of that before. It would take most probably this:

ported heads with cams
full exhaust (probably could be done minus L/T's)
tuned of course
gears
d/r's
and bolt ons (tb, plenum, cai, pulleys)

or less than that, depending on the driver

SVT GT

Established Member
4.30s, basic bolt ons (no cams, head work, Nitrous, or Supercharger), Cat Back and X, DR and Welds all around, Rear upper and Lower Control Arms, Springs, Clutch and short throw, do weight removal (Front seats to much lighter ones, back seat delete, trunk striped, etc..etc...), and a good driver

Or just a supercharger, gears, full exhaust, basic bolt ons, clutch, short throw and some DR's

Last edited:

Cobrabuddy

Established Member
All the standard boltons, gears, and some slicks will get you there no problem. You def don't need head work or a blower to dip into the 12's

FineLineMtrSprt

I like bacon!
Established Member
99 and newer GT 5spd...12 sec recipe
4.30 gears
very strong clutch..trans will last you a bunch of powershifts..how many who knows..
Drag springs and adjustable shocks
Adjustable upper and lower control arms
Off road xpipe and quality exhuast..headers will help but are a Pain on 4.6 cars.
nice fender mounted cold air kit,throttle body,plenum and a intake spacer wouldnt hurt
31 spline axles and a better diff..like a detroit locker wouldnt hurt
Steeda timing adjuster
lightweight race seats..and other weight saving mods..move battery to trunk
Tubular front k member with coil overs....which since ya got the k member out ya might as well do long tube headers
Full length subframe connectors
drag radials
a dyno tune and one of the most important...
A GOOD DRIVER

And run 12's all day long in good air.

By the way is this in reference to the thread on LS1.com or something about n/a 4.6 2v's can run 12's or something like that?

Last edited:

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
CAI, 4.30/4.56s, TB, Tune, Mid-back exhaust, DRs, good driver, good track.

And how is a plenum a bolt on?...that is an intake....I guess we all have different opinions ot bolt ons.

GSRGuy94

Irunelevens
Established Member
And btw... this thread was made because of me. I tried to tell the people over at LS1tech.com that it was *possible* (not common, or expected) for a full-weight 2V GT 5spd to get in the 12s with bolt-ons/gears/DRs. There's a guy I know from another forum (I don't know if he's on here or not) that ran a 13.19 with CAI/H-pipe/exhaust/tune and 4.10s only. On regular radials. So I don't know why it's such a stretch to believe he can pick up another 2 tenths of a second with a few more bolt-ons and a set of drag radials.

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
i think its possible, i dont see it happening with my POS 3650 i have in my car, maybe a T56 will help me some :)

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
FineLineMtrSprt said:
99 and newer GT 5spd...12 sec recipe
4.30 gears
very strong clutch..trans will last you a bunch of powershifts..how many who knows..
Drag springs and adjustable shocks
Adjustable upper and lower control arms
Off road xpipe and quality exhuast..headers will help but are a Pain on 4.6 cars.
nice fender mounted cold air kit,throttle body,plenum and a intake spacer wouldnt hurt
31 spline axles and a better diff..like a detroit locker wouldnt hurt
Steeda timing adjuster
lightweight race seats..and other weight saving mods..move battery to trunk
Tubular front k member with coil overs....which since ya got the k member out ya might as well do long tube headers
Full length subframe connectors
drag radials
a dyno tune and one of the most important...
A GOOD DRIVER

And run 12's all day long in good air.

By the way is this in reference to the thread on LS1.com or something about n/a 4.6 2v's can run 12's or something like that?

lmao, do you know how much all that is going to cost?

A blower is the easiest/cheapest way.

And a 2v gt can not handle fing 430/456 gears, hahaha

FineLineMtrSprt

I like bacon!
Established Member
Umm there area bunch of guys who have used 4.30 gears,what does that even mean they cant handle them. You can gear it any damn thing you want. Also no one asked bang for the buck did they? So i listed what would put one in the 12's solidly all motor..and those mods would. Its already been said in this thread...or add a blower.

My room mate run 4.10's in her 98 GT with a PI longblock swap anda 5spd..not MUCH different than 4.30's..as does my buddy in his 97GT with 10lb blower and a 6spd swap. 4.30's arent a HUGE difference from 4.10's

Last edited:

ChrisP14

Established Member
I thought a saw a video in Pics and Vids not to long ago of a guy with (predator, mid-pipe, JLT, 4.10's and Drag Radials) run a 12.9.

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
FineLineMtrSprt said:
Umm there area bunch of guys who have used 4.30 gears,what does that even mean they cant handle them. You can gear it any damn thing you want. Also no one asked bang for the buck did they? So i listed what would put one in the 12's solidly all motor..and those mods would. Its already been said in this thread...or add a blower.

My room mate run 4.10's in her 98 GT with a PI longblock swap anda 5spd..not MUCH different than 4.30's..as does my buddy in his 97GT with 10lb blower and a 6spd swap. 4.30's arent a HUGE difference from 4.10's

Wouldnt you run out of gear?

I have 373's, and i can only go 110 in 4th.

Users who are viewing this thread