What do you think of J&M control arms?

dragracingfreak

Bowtie Killer
Established Member
Hey guys, I'm in the middle of building my rear end and figured it would be a good time to change the control arms. My parents are actually thinking of buying for me for Christmas, (love my parents). They want me to find a set so they know what to get. What do you all think of J&M weight jacker street/race lower control arms and their upper control arms? Has any of you got these on your cars?
These are the lowers.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/jm-jacker-lca-7998-race.html

These are the uppers.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/reupcoar7.html

And I will most like change the bushings in the rear end housing where the uppers connect, is polyurethane bushings a good idea for that cause I've heard some don't like them.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Hopefully good as I bought J&M Upper & Lower Control Arms for both the Cobra and my GT. The CC Plates have been great on my GT so I picked up a pair for the Cobra also.

AMAlexLazarus

AmericanMuscle.com
Hey guys, I'm in the middle of building my rear end and figured it would be a good time to change the control arms. My parents are actually thinking of buying for me for Christmas, (love my parents). They want me to find a set so they know what to get. What do you all think of J&M weight jacker street/race lower control arms and their upper control arms? Has any of you got these on your cars?
These are the lowers.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/jm-jacker-lca-7998-race.html

These are the uppers.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/reupcoar7.html

And I will most like change the bushings in the rear end housing where the uppers connect, is polyurethane bushings a good idea for that cause I've heard some don't like them.

Hey Drag-Definitely a great selection here! I've had the pleasure of test fitting a slew of J&M's parts on both my 01 and 08 and they've never let me down. They're one of our best selling brands here and they definitely will help no matter what style of driving you do!

Hopefully good as I bought J&M Upper & Lower Control Arms for both the Cobra and my GT. The CC Plates have been great on my GT so I picked up a pair for the Cobra also.

You'll be very happy with them!

Let me know if there's anything I can help out with and enjoy guys!

Alex

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Just to be clear, I don't have any first hand experience with J&M products so you can take this with a grain of salt if you want but I don't really care for the design of their weight-jacker lowers. It is essentially two pieces of tube welded to the center adjustment point... to me, that looks like an obvious potential failure point, especially when you think about how much energy is stored in the springs. I'd much rather the control arm be a solid tube with the adjuster sleeved into it, much like how Maximum Motorsports and Grantelli build theirs (which to be fair, Granatelli is known for ripping off MM designs). I know some people probably think me a MM nutswinger with how many of their products I have bolted on my car but in my opinion it's just a much better, more durable design with better bushings for not that much more money.

And myself, I wouldn't even put aftermarket upper control arms on a street driven car. I'd replace the axle bushings and rock the factory arms. If you put too stiff of a bushing in the uppers you're going to get axle bind and a real crappy ride quality.

Last edited:

bumsoil

Established Member
I have the j&m street/race and I don't have a single complaint. nothing but good things to say, it takes my hard launches, non stop drifting and shitty northwest roads.

SVT CAMR

Established Member
I started with the street/Race version and they held up great! When I removed them after a few years they were in good condition.

I then decided to go street car and purchased the weight jacker lowers and uppers with their street version all 3 piece poly bushings.
nice and quiet! Shortly after I decided to put stock upper back in and noticed no difference at all.

The only negative I could say about the J&M's are they are heavy.

I have had their uppers and both versions of their weight jackers. I really liked them.

Last edited:

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
I have the street non-adjustable lowers and I love them. I rock Steeda uppers (basically stock arm with the open "U" welded shut) with rubber bushings on both sides. I like the setup, but really want a panhard bar as the rubber bushings on the uppers don't really control the axle side to side movement. They do decrease the bind drastically over the old urethane bushings I had on the uppers before though.

What do you need the weight jackers for anyways? I personally will never run a real tall tire, so I don't need to jack it up for clearance. If I want it lower, I would just change the springs.

dragracingfreak

Bowtie Killer
Established Member
Thanks for the reply. I may look into a set of steeda uppers and put rubber bushings in it for the uppers.
DVJ38, I couldn't help but notice that in the list of stuff you have for your car that you have a t45 from thet45source. How do you like it cause I have a spare t45 I was thinking about sending to him and have the street/strip package done.

Last edited:

mustang3X

Established Member
J&M race rear lowers on my car. They are excellent, fitment was spot on and there is zero noise. Was able to lose the quad shock also.

Users who are viewing this thread