What do you classify a Drag Radial

04torchred

Established Member
Well I came across this thread on Ricekiller.com about a guy in a viper(TT) running 10.94 @ 140mph on "street tires" as labeled in the video. Well his street tires are drag radials.

Do you guy call drag radials a street tire? People are saying because they are DOT approved they should be called a street tire. I think that is sort of a misleading classification.

Just wanted some other peoples thoughts as I think it is BS to say you are running on street tires when you are clearly on a drag radial. Big difference if you are running a number on true street tires vs a drag radial.

357cstang

Used to have a fast Cobra
Established Member
I only own Drag Radials on for my Cobra. If it's driven on every day, it's a street tire. Hell they're called, "ET STREET Radials"

Oh and 10.40's? That's weak sauce :) My friend Sal has gone 7.90's in his TT Viper @ over 180mph in the 1/4 mile... on a 315 M/T ET Street Radial.

His car is pretty nasty. Still has working A/C and a full interior. It's tagged, registered and insured for the street.

04torchred

Established Member
I only own Drag Radials on for my Cobra. If it's driven on every day, it's a street tire. Hell they're called, "ET STREET Radials"

Oh and 10.40's? That's weak sauce :) My friend Sal has gone 7.90's in his TT Viper @ over 180mph in the 1/4 mile... on a 315 M/T ET Street Radial.

His car is pretty nasty. Still has working A/C and a full interior. It's tagged, registered and insured for the street.

Would you label your DR as a street tire in a video though? I run nittos everyday and MT when I need to hook, if anyone asks I never say I am on street tires.

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member
Drag radials are DOT approved, therefore they are street tires.

Living where I live, alot of the guys I know daily drive their cars on Nitto, BFG and MT drag radials.

Thump_rrr

Established Member
It is a street tire and people do run them on their cars everyday although I don't.
When I'm giving my times I specify exactly what tire I'm running to eliminate any confusion.

logan_yomtov

Established Member
while technically a drag radial is a street tire......its gay to go around bragging you're running on a street tire if its actually a drag radial. its misleading. When i picture a street tire, i picture a regular street radial, not a drag radial.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
The DOT thing is a joke in some cases like Hoosier DOT radials.

Do some searching on the D.O.T regulations.

Straight from Hoosier,
NOTE: D.O.T. Labeled Hoosier Racing Tires meet Department of Transportation requirements for marking and performance only and are NOT INTENDED FOR HIGHWAY USE. It is unsafe to operate any Hoosier Racing Tire including DOT tires on public roads. The prohibited use of Hoosier Racing Tires on public roadways may result in loss of traction, unexpected loss of vehicle control, or sudden loss of tire pressure, resulting in a vehicle crash and possible injury or death

The MT ET streets (Non Radial) are about the same.

IMO- R compound, shallow tread.
DRs are not a true street tire.

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
I consider whatever isn't a full slick a street tire. My car has only ever been driven on drag radials, a car with this much power is just stupid to be on street tires. Sorry but there comes a point where no amount of track prep or driver skill is going to overcome the fact that some cars to just too powerful and dangerous to be on a non R compound street tire.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
at this point, since so many people drive on them every day now, i think its fair to call DRs street tires. it is a bit misleading and i agree that it should be pointed out though.

04torchred

Established Member
I think it is safe and okay to classify a drag radial as a street tire. However I do think its wrong to not mention a drag radial and try to pass it off as a street tire. I have never seen one member on svtperformance run a drag radial and claim it as a street tire in a video... that is where my problem resides. Its a race compound tire and can't be compared to a street tire for the traction it provides.

If someone runs a 10 second pass on a true street tire that is something to kick you in the nuts and make you cough(very impressive)

Users who are viewing this thread