What did you replace your Pirelli P-Zeros with?

Black Fire

Wings Fan
Established Member
Replaced my P Zeros with Cooper Zeon RS3-A's even went up a size to 275/40's.
Not as grippy as the Pirellis in the corners but worlds better in cold temps and up to 4" of snow.

Lucky_13

Established Member
I'm running pilot sport a/s 3's as well, and love the hell out of them. Crazy dry grip for an all season with 500 wear rating. Also passable (just barely) in these michigan winters.

Zandura99

Almost there
Established Member
Check out these articles. Pretty unbiased. The CAR AND DRIVER article mixes categories which is a no no... but when you read the results the EXTREME tires were the bottom 3 in the wet which makes perfect sense.

The Michelin PSS is basically the best mix of dry and wet on the market right now. They also support the 305+ options in 19 and 20 inch wheels for the rear, which is a mathematical nightmare trying to go wide! You will notice however they are salty. you pay for that performance!

I found that in the BOSS setup, the Bridgestone Potenza S04 is a good tire, gets wide (285) and ends toward the top for MAX performance summer. Also love the DW's. (best mix of dry and wet above 50 deg temps). I am going with the Bridgestone.

Monsters of Grip: Nine Summer-Performance Tires Tested - Comparison Test - Car and Driver

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=174

BTW, I am one of the drivers at Tire Rack... I get to do these tests as part of my job so I am pretty familiar with the brands we sell. One other thing to consider is that each of these tests are not perfect. check out the next review, it somewhat contradicts other tests. Tough to gauge, but if you get on board with a good name brand in the RIGHT category you are on the right track. Notice too, the PSS is the best in this test as well. . . but second and so on doesn’t necessarily agree across the 3 tests.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=148

rdplain

Established Member
Mickey Thompson Street Comps, here.
Went this route as well, in the stock 255/40-19 size. I like them so far, but I can't really judge them yet, only couple days of warm weather since they have been installed.

86merc

Established Member
I'm running pilot sport a/s 3's as well, and love the hell out of them. Crazy dry grip for an all season with 500 wear rating. Also passable (just barely) in these michigan winters.

I have not read much on these. Other than initial reports by small groups that got to test them with Michelin before they were released. I also need a all season tire and these sure seemed attractive. Plus something a little less jarring for daily driving would be nice. I hear the PSS has kind of a stiff sidewall that translates bumps in the road. I live in Chicago so we have lots of pot holes and cracks in the road to deal with. lol

The Michelin PSS is basically the best mix of dry and wet on the market right now.

Seems the PSS has been the one to test other tires against for years. Early reports said the A/S 3 was close in performance to the PSS. Have you had any experience with these?

I was looking at the PSS and Potenza S04 but just can't buy a summer tire. I drive in weather that gets in the 30's near winter. I need a all season tire, sadly.

Last edited:

Zandura99

Almost there
Established Member
"Seems the PSS has been the one to test other tires against for years. Early reports said the A/S 3 was close in performance to the PSS. Have you had any experience with these?"

Yeah~! I was a long term tester for the AS3. Dry traction was nearly as good as the UPPER MIDDLE of the pack summers. Wet traction left quite a bit for the top summers, but its easy to just slow down a bit in the wet. I unfortunately tested them on a 1.8T Jetta before I had the mustang... but they handled like a summer tire in corners and were smooth and didn't jar your bones on the cold days like the summer tires will.

So, really the best traction with resonable temperature range available right now. The winter traction was pretty lacking, (again coming from a tire guy who runs winter tires... consider the source) but it had get you home ability in the winter. Not as good as the stock Pirellis in the winter (Nero AS not the PZERO summers) but you cant expect it to rock in the summer and winter, just too far apart!

86merc

Established Member
Thanks for the feedback!

I drive my car till the snow falls. Just becuase of the amount of salt this area uses. Then I switch to my truck with winter tires. But in late october until snow of late December the temps can get in the 30's easily. The Goodyear F1 I have on the car are scary in temps below 50 degrees. They also ride like a hard tire. I think the A/S 3 may be a good option for me. I drive like an old man in the rain, so I should be ok there. Sounds like a good tire for my requirements. Thanks again!

Zandura99

Almost there
Established Member
Thanks for the feedback!

I drive my car till the snow falls. Just becuase of the amount of salt this area uses. Then I switch to my truck with winter tires. But in late october until snow of late December the temps can get in the 30's easily. The Goodyear F1 I have on the car are scary in temps below 50 degrees. They also ride like a hard tire. I think the A/S 3 may be a good option for me. I drive like an old man in the rain, so I should be ok there. Sounds like a good tire for my requirements. Thanks again!

yeah sounds like a perfect 3 season tire for you, you can still enjoy the car in the spring/fall on cool days, but have it off the road in the heart of winter. That is pretty much the point with that tire!

97tc

Ford Man
Established Member
Thanks for the feedback!

The Goodyear F1 I have on the car are scary in temps below 50 degrees. They also ride like a hard tire. I think the A/S 3 may be a good option for me. I drive like an old man in the rain, so I should be ok there. Sounds like a good tire for my requirements. Thanks again!

Which F1's do you have. The supercar or the all seasons?

5lho

Established Member
the AS3s destroy the PZeros so bad in the wet it's embarrassing. It's unbelievable how much power I can put down wet now, in my view. Dry is about the same, the carcass is a little softer than the stiff hi load P Zeros but, that makes the car ride a bit less roughly and tramline less.

97tc

Ford Man
Established Member
The stock ones from a 2010 gt500. I believe those are the the supercar?[/QUOTE

Yes, those are the Supercar G2's. very very tough tire on the street. They are really a warm/hot weather track tire and can be downright dangerous on the street.

StangingAround

Established Member
I love the Cooper RS3's as they have excellent grip in the turns and the tread design is killer. They are pretty loud though and you can feel almost every bump in the road (which I personally like).

Users who are viewing this thread