What did you do for your Terminator today?

94 Cobra R

Same Ol Same Ol
Established Member
Added some subtle touches....SVT in the change holder and A/C Register with voltage display.

a63b1766b10019e5b6cf8a8467704ba4.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Well think my promotion clutch finally said enough. Messing around with a newer 5.0 at some lights and rpms didn't want to go much higher than 5k. And massive burning smell.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using the svtperformance.com mobile app

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Well think my promotion clutch finally said enough. Messing around with a newer 5.0 at some lights and rpms didn't want to go much higher than 5k. And massive burning smell.

Did you at least win? And as the other member said, RPMs should sky rocket as MPH don’t if the clutch is going out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Thats odd. RPMS should increase more than normal when the clutch is slipping. Very distinct smell too.
Did you at least win? And as the other member said, RPMs should sky rocket as MPH don’t if the clutch is going out.

Belt slip.???

2004 Cobra 2.9 Whipple
Sorry guys. Rpms did rise up to 5k fast but car wasn't pulling hard or really not much at all. Definitely wasn't belt slip. And I was dead even with a bolt on 5.0.

What's a burning clutch smell like? I had a similar problem last year, and a little adjustment to the firewall adjuster and it worked again.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member

Twin disk time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Definitely the clutch then. Tomorrow I'm going to see what the tob is doing and try to adjust the firewall adjuster a bit. Then test it out.

You’re just flirting with getting stranded. Put a twin disc in there already and call it a day. I’d call it win pat the promotion clutch on the back and let it retire while it’s still on top.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
You’re just flirting with getting stranded. Put a twin disc in there already and call it a day. I’d call it win pat the promotion clutch on the back and let it retire while it’s still on top.
You are probably right. I'm just trying to decide if it's worth me tackling this project so late in the year. I'm on borrowed time as winter isn't far away.

I don't have a heated garage, so not working on it through the winter.

I've also never done a clutch before, but I'm not scared to tackle it. Just trying to decide if I should hang the car up for the year or start working on it.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
You are probably right. I'm just trying to decide if it's worth me tackling this project so late in the year. I'm on borrowed time as winter isn't far away.

I don't have a heated garage, so not working on it through the winter.

I've also never done a clutch before, but I'm not scared to tackle it. Just trying to decide if I should hang the car up for the year or start working on it.

Not sure about your part of the county and how drastic or suddenly winter hits but I’d tackle it so you have a fully functioning car come spring time. If not you’ll just be back to square one with a “hurt” car/clutch. I’d wanna jump in that beast and start ripping come spring time.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Not sure about your part of the county and how drastic or suddenly winter hits but I’d tackle it so you have a fully functioning car come spring time. If not you’ll just be back to square one with a “hurt” car/clutch. I’d wanna jump in that beast and start ripping come spring time.

I live in Minnesota. We could have snow as early as October. But I agree, I probably should start working on it.

cj428mach

Established Member
I live in Minnesota. We could have snow as early as October. But I agree, I probably should start working on it.

Do it now. Don't forget you ll have to do break in miles before you can play again.

Since you already have the input shaft swapped this should be a straightforward swap. I think 3hrs is a safe number for removal figured a few extra hrs for cleaning and clutch assembly, then trans install. 8 to 10 hrs no problem for a first timer.

T3RM1N8R_18

Established Member
Do it now. Don't forget you ll have to do break in miles before you can play again.

Since you already have the input shaft swapped this should be a straightforward swap. I think 3hrs is a safe number for removal figured a few extra hrs for cleaning and clutch assembly, then trans install. 8 to 10 hrs no problem for a first timer.

I always used the general rule of 3X the estimated timing for car repairs Lol.

blownfox

Established Member
I've been too busy lately to enjoy the car but the wife and I took the cobra to look at model homes over the weekend. We are next to our lot looking at a spec home and a redfire 03/04 cobra pulls up. He lives just a few houses down and a very clean car.

I believe 90% of the cobra's here are 2.3 or bigger blowers on E-85. This one was a 2.9 whipple on E-85.

Users who are viewing this thread