What did i do to my motor?

WhippleBlowJob

PUUUUURGE!!!
Established Member
ok so tonight i was playing around with a friend and i ran my car kinda hard. I stuck it and it decided while i was spinning to not shift till like 7,400 RPMs. He was behind me and he said when it happened it started blowing a lot of smoke. it doesnt SOUND different, but it smokes REALLY bad at idle and all through the rpms. Did i burn a ring? a piston? a valve guide? wtf? i shut it down as soon as i got home and havent started it in a few hours. Im worried to. It was smoking like a fire just idling through the parking lot. not white smoke.... it looked bluish black which is fuel and oil. please help.

the car is an 09 C6 LS3 with an LG G6X3 cam. full supporting mods. this hurts my soul. please help. :(

Lemmiwinks

Established Member
My initial guess is a piston ring.
Or maybe just the headgasket? But why that would fail for high RPMs is beyond my understanding.

WhippleBlowJob

PUUUUURGE!!!
Established Member
a head gasket would be white smoke. ive HEARD that with the G6X3 cam that the PTV clearance is REALLY small. so maybe with the near overrev a piston hit a valve? the motor was NOT hot (running around 178) so i dont think i could have burnt a ring. could a bent valve create this kind of smoke without ticking while running?

Lemmiwinks

Established Member
Oh yeah, sorry. White smoke :D Damn, I blew my headgasket this spring and had a HUGE cloud of white smoke after me and still couldn't remember that.

A bent valve (maybe not much but a little) could maybe have damaged the valve seal and therefor oil is leaking through the valve seal?

toby1234

Established Member
Blue smoke is definitely oil. That either means that oil is getting past the piston rings or past the valve stem seals. If the engine doesn't over heat and seems to run fine, then I would assume it's a blow ring.

WhippleBlowJob

PUUUUURGE!!!
Established Member
Oh yeah, sorry. White smoke :D Damn, I blew my headgasket this spring and had a HUGE cloud of white smoke after me and still couldn't remember that.

A bent valve (maybe not much but a little) could maybe have damaged the valve seal and therefor oil is leaking through the valve seal?

I can only pray for that. I REALLY dont have the cash right now to build my motor. It runs GREAT as is, but damn a cam only LS3 burning up on just a short blast? that sucks. It actually my only vehicle right now as my powerstroke is at the shop. so im kinda screwed. I dont wanna drive it like this but i gotta go to work tomorrow.

WhippleBlowJob

PUUUUURGE!!!
Established Member
Blue smoke is definitely oil. That either means that oil is getting past the piston rings or past the valve stem seals. If the engine doesn't over heat and seems to run fine, then I would assume it's a blow ring.

i burnt rings in my old 6.0 powerstroke and it "ran fine". couldnt hurt valve seals do the same? could i bend a valve and have this issue without engine compartment noise? it was fine then i did a short blast and it hit rev limiter at like over 7000 and then started smoking really bad. what does that sound like?

Lemmiwinks

Established Member
I can only pray for that. I REALLY dont have the cash right now to build my motor. It runs GREAT as is, but damn a cam only LS3 burning up on just a short blast? that sucks. It actually my only vehicle right now as my powerstroke is at the shop. so im kinda screwed. I dont wanna drive it like this but i gotta go to work tomorrow.

When you're saying it runs perfect, it could be a valve seal.
I don't know how the engine runs with blasted piston rings but I had (bought for my father) a Mark Viii with "reworked heads". Reworked heads in this case was a translation for wrong size valve seals so the car on start ups/red lights filled the car with blue smoke :rolling:
Bitch ran the whole winter, well over 1500 miles like that in my possession and probably more before I got it.
Only one thing for you to do. Roll up your sleeves!

WhippleBlowJob

PUUUUURGE!!!
Established Member
When you're saying it runs perfect, it could be a valve seal.
I don't know how the engine runs with blasted piston rings but I had (bought for my father) a Mark Viii with "reworked heads". Reworked heads in this case was a translation for wrong size valve seals so the car on start ups/red lights filled the car with blue smoke :rolling:
Bitch ran the whole winter, well over 1500 miles like that in my possession and probably more before I got it.
Only one thing for you to do. Roll up your sleeves!

when you cranked it up did it run well (no or very little smoke) and then produce more and more as it heated up?

Lemmiwinks

Established Member
when you cranked it up did it run well (no or very little smoke) and then produce more and more as it heated up?

Worst was on startup. Then it would smoke blue all the time.
Every gas stop was also an oil stop :banana:
But it ran well all the time. Even though the AC compressor was totally f'ed. No bearing left, sounded like someone was using a sledgehammer on the motor all the time. What a champ that car was... Nothing was working, everything was broken. But it still ran

Last edited:

WhippleBlowJob

PUUUUURGE!!!
Established Member
Worst was on startup. Then it would smoke blue all the time.
Every gas stop was also an oil stop :banana:
But it ran well all the time. Even though the AC compressor was totally f'ed. No bearing left, sounded like someone was using a sledgehammer on the motor all the time. What a champ that car was... Nothing was working, everything was broken. But it still ran

Well shit. because when i just cranked mine it didnt smoke at all. then it slowly started to more and more. not bad like it was when i shut it down but i only let it run for about 2 minutes.

OP can we get more pics of that Aston Martin back there???:eek:

if you look at my thread when i got my car, someone (a few people) asked to see more of the aston and i posted a few.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I agree with the piston ring failing. Do a compression test and you'll see one cylinder WAY lower than the other 7.

If that is in fact the problem, the cylinder wall is now scored and you are looking at an overbore and rebuild. Decide what you want as far as bore, compression ratio and pistons/rods.

Do you still owe money on the car?

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
Maybe he meant what he typed? Left nut suck?

Gotta pay to play

Users who are viewing this thread