what clutch

DUMBASS

Banned
What cutches are you guys using? i just burned up my second street dual in less than 6 months. the car has barely been driven this year. wonder what you guys are having good luck with.

shhak

Established Member
I had descent luck with my old Spec 3+. But their customer service SUCKS!!! Others have good luck with them, but when a weight on mine came out and completely ate my clutch, pressure plate and flywheel, all I got from Spec was a "sorry about your luck. Another one is only $XXX.xx Maybe you'll have better luck with this one." I said screw it and went to a Lentech auto and never looked back!

droptopsnake01

N/A FTW!
Established Member
I LOVE my spec stg5.

Cheap, holds ALL the power. People try to knock it but honestly those people never have 1st hand experience with it.

I would buy one again and again.

TRBO VNM

I LOVE my spec stg5.

Cheap, holds ALL the power. People try to knock it but honestly those people never have 1st hand experience with it.

I would buy one again and again.

can I knock it? I have 1st hand experience with it.

the clutch does hold the power and hits hard, which I like. And it doesn't chatter like some of the others.

BUT, the freaking squeal it makes is horrible and embarrassing in stop and go traffic. I could not stand it. I would rather go through 2 clutches a yr with another model than use a Spec 5 for 2 yrs or however long it would last. I would replace a spec 3+ probably 3 or 4 times a year instead of running a spec 5. Out of first gear, reverse, sometimes between shifts...SQUEAL....:nonono:

all the other positives go out the window imo. when people start starring at you because of that squeal, forget it. I tried all sorts of different driving techniques to reduce or get rid of it and nothing helped.

I would also rather spend the 1200+ on a twin disc than buy a spec 5.

sorry, rant off. I will never recommend one to anybody unless it is a track only car or the car is rarely ever driven. And it is a definite on/off clutch.

my suggestion is the 3+ or a twin disc. I haven't tried any of the ram clutches, but people seem to like them as well.

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

I had a DFX and was an odd man out I think. the chatter got worse as I put miles on it. I think I spoke to someone who had the same experience, but other than that, most people like it. I haven't tried the fidanza yet.

Alb Cobra

Established Member
I have the Fidanza twin 7.6 twin disk. It chattered pretty bad the at first. It did mellow out a little after about 100+ miles (and after more aggressive driving). You definitely can not baby this clutch in first. I did not get a chance to put any more miles on it before I started taking the car apart but expect chatter if you get this clutch. Oh yeah it rattles (low rpm in a high gear) a lot at first but it is seemed to start going away the more and more I drove it.

I have heard that chatter gets better at about 1000 miles or so (only about 850 more before I can give a better opinion) but who knows. Will not be able to push the limits til the end of winter. Other than 1st and reverse it is a very smooth clutch though.

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I'm running the Ram Street Dual with 900 series discs. I still haven't been able to beat on the car but my first impressions during normal street driving are that it's an awesome clutch. It's very smooth with no chatter at all. The shifter feels a tad notchy but I'm not sure if it's because of the tranny or clutch or that I'm spoiled from driving my Shelby with a TR6060 in it.

None the less I know the clutch requires several things for install such as trimming the TOB sleeve, using an adjustable pivot ball and some bolts behind the clutch fork need to be ground down a tad for more travel of the fork.

I would definitely recommend this clutch to others.

With that said I've seen several customers and friends of mine struggle with the same clutch. Some are shops well capable of installing these the right way. I do believe there might have been some issues with a few of them however Ram has always been good about trying to get the customers issues resolved.

There's also other great options available now which include the Fidanza Twins and Mcleod Twins.

The Fidanza feedback for the most part is excellent besides some chatter in 1st and reverse for the first few hundred miles. I believe that's on the more aggressive 7.6 series. I think the 6.5 is a little more tame and has better overall street manors but definitely can't hold what the 7.6 can.

The Mcleod has been the hottest twin kit we've been selling lately. It can use any aftermarket flywheel and I've only heard excellent feedback from all of my customers running the RST and the RXT. If you search around you'll see that people seem to love this clutch.

I have been recommending this lately due to all of the positive feedback.

Stage 3+.. Great clutch. Look around as there's a lot of feedback.

Spec Twins- I've got a few guys running the P-Trim and they seem to love it.

So there ya have it. Give us a shout if there's anything we can help you with. Thanks, Jared

droptopsnake01

N/A FTW!
Established Member

the clutch does hold the power and hits hard, which I like. And it doesn't chatter like some of the others.

BUT, the freaking squeal it makes is horrible and embarrassing in stop and go traffic. I could not stand it. I would rather go through 2 clutches a yr with another model than use a Spec 5 for 2 yrs or however long it would last. I would replace a spec 3+ probably 3 or 4 times a year instead of running a spec 5. Out of first gear, reverse, sometimes between shifts...SQUEAL....:nonono:

all the other positives go out the window imo. when people start starring at you because of that squeal, forget it. I tried all sorts of different driving techniques to reduce or get rid of it and nothing helped.

sorry, rant off. I will never recommend one to anybody unless it is a track only car or the car is rarely ever driven. And it is a definite on/off clutch.

my suggestion is the 3+ or a twin disc. I haven't tried any of the ram clutches, but people seem to like them as well.

It dosn't squeel... While breaking it in it does. After 1000 miles or so it stops.

TRBO VNM

It dosn't squeel... While breaking it in it does. After 1000 miles or so it stops.

well bud, yours may not, but mine did even after 2500 miles. I know others that had well over 1000 and more than 2500 miles on theirs and they still squealed. And I am not talking just one other person. it was a few others locally so I even checked online at the time and people said that was normal for the friction material. so maybe you are a lucky one.

droptopsnake01

N/A FTW!
Established Member
well bud, yours may not, but mine did even after 2500 miles. I know others that had well over 1000 and more than 2500 miles on theirs and they still squealed. And I am not talking just one other person. it was a few others locally so I even checked online at the time and people said that was normal for the friction material. so maybe you are a lucky one.

your right im wrong.

DUMBASS

Banned

I'm running the Ram Street Dual with 900 series discs. I still haven't been able to beat on the car but my first impressions during normal street driving are that it's an awesome clutch. It's very smooth with no chatter at all. The shifter feels a tad notchy but I'm not sure if it's because of the tranny or clutch or that I'm spoiled from driving my Shelby with a TR6060 in it.

None the less I know the clutch requires several things for install such as trimming the TOB sleeve, using an adjustable pivot ball and some bolts behind the clutch fork need to be ground down a tad for more travel of the fork.

I would definitely recommend this clutch to others.

With that said I've seen several customers and friends of mine struggle with the same clutch. Some are shops well capable of installing these the right way. I do believe there might have been some issues with a few of them however Ram has always been good about trying to get the customers issues resolved.

There's also other great options available now which include the Fidanza Twins and Mcleod Twins.

The Fidanza feedback for the most part is excellent besides some chatter in 1st and reverse for the first few hundred miles. I believe that's on the more aggressive 7.6 series. I think the 6.5 is a little more tame and has better overall street manors but definitely can't hold what the 7.6 can.

The Mcleod has been the hottest twin kit we've been selling lately. It can use any aftermarket flywheel and I've only heard excellent feedback from all of my customers running the RST and the RXT. If you search around you'll see that people seem to love this clutch.

I have been recommending this lately due to all of the positive feedback.

Stage 3+.. Great clutch. Look around as there's a lot of feedback.

Spec Twins- I've got a few guys running the P-Trim and they seem to love it.

So there ya have it. Give us a shout if there's anything we can help you with. Thanks, Jared

i am on the ram street dual with the 300 series disks and this is the 2nd one now to go out since april. I do have th pivot ball and other changes to accomodate this clutch and it was installed professionally. the clutch is awesome when it is working but then just go up in a cloud of smoke with no warning. the first one never even slipped before it just disinegrated the 2nd one is now slipping badly under throttle. I am going to talk to ram about maybe getting these both redone with 900 series disks once i get the 2nd one out of the car.

Last edited:

DUMBASS

Banned
To the OP, what kind of power are you making and what are your plans with the car (track, daily)?

right now the car is making 765 whp and 820wtq. i do take it to the track so i want a clutch that handles that while also being streetable since i do drive the car regularly to the local car meets and cruises. it sees mre street time than track. the power will be going up at somepoint as well. the RAM SD seemed like the way to go as it was supposed to hold big power levels while being awesome on the street. i have talked to doug berry at RAM when the first one went out so amybe they will take care of me on this but we'll see i guess.

hellbents10

I have had no luck with the 300 series material in the Ram dual disk clutches at roughly 700-900hp. The 900 series material seems to be a little better though.

The spec 5 will do the job but there is some compromise to be had.

Spec dual setups have worked well on the LS engines to 1000hp.

Users who are viewing this thread