what clutch to get??

MatthewP

Established Member
I simply cannot believe that noone on here recommended the McLeod 800 series. That's the best clutch available for a street/strip Mustang in my books. It drives like a stocker because it is a stock type sprung hub/diaphram style clutch, it doesn't chatter, it's lighter than a King Cobra and very tough. I ran a LOT of 2nd gear burnouts and 4500-5000 RPM launches with that clutch behind a 357 in a 90 coupe and never hurt it. The same car completely skinned a King Cobra in twelve passes.

On the other hand, I do like to see competitors with Spec clutches, because I always feel that there's a good chance they will have trouble.

-Matthew

Zoie_daGT

Established Member
I did mention McLeod but, I have no experience w/ them so I didnt go into it in detail. Anyways, I would also look into McLeod. I hear they are good clutches but, they are spendy.

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
On the other hand, I do like to see competitors with Spec clutches, because I always feel that there's a good chance they will have trouble.

-Matthew

I ran 2 stage 3 specs and now a 3+. The first two held numerous 6800+rpm dumps on 26x10's (3160 w/ driver) and still able to chrip 4th gear. The first one failed due to I welded the FW to disk to the PP. My fault. Stagged way too long. The second one I took out cause it twisted my input shaft and started to slip so I had to upgrade the tranny so I went with a 3+.

I think any car that's going to see any kind of abuse needs to have a kevlar disk as a bare minimum. All the diaphram PP's have about the same clamping force. I'd never put an organic disk in a modified car. There not designed for agressive driving.

-Mark

Users who are viewing this thread