? what catback no/drone

pwildbil

Established Member
I have had my car for almost three weeks and am wanting a catback system(keep in mind I have a vert) but don't want drone that will drive me nuts at highway speeds...any help will be greatly appreciated!!

p.s. Using stock h pipe and search not working(never has since I joined)

S5Snake

Established Member
I've had the Borla Stinger prior to removing the factory midpipe. I also have a vert and it sounded good. I was able to hear the radio or hold a conversation without any problems. If your planning on changing your midpipe to an off road type, DON'T use any catback which uses a straight through style muffler. It will sound horrible. Just my .02 cents.

x14

Established Member
Couple of things to consider.

They all drone, some are more annoying than others some are louder than others depending on what else you have. The drone is typically at 2,000 rpm. Check what rpm you're at when you cruise this will determine if you're gonna hear it or not.

o3SnakeBite

Die Hard Sports Junkie
Established Member
No matter what, if you change your exhaust you will have drone... I cant really say I have ever had a quite exhaust... I guess magnaflow is a little on the quite side with STOCK hpipe!

swlacobra

too many cars
Established Member
i have magnaflows on both cars, very minimal drone and they sound great. the fit, finish,and materials are first rate. would recomend them to anyone. good luck, richard

Dave99GT

Go Packers!
Established Member
on my 03 vert I have stock h pipe and Magnaflow catback. Mostly quiet, but pretty loud drone at 1900-2200 rpm when at a throttle level to sustain speed. In other words, it drones at highway speed.
Top rate fit and finish, though and great pricing!

cpu77

Armed and Dangerous!
Established Member
I have borla stingers with the bassani x pipe. My setup is terribly loud! Would the magnaflow be much quieter or is it the x pipe that really makes it loud?

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
I can't believe Stingers are even being mentioned in a thread where drone and/or volume might be a concern!!! :eek: C'mon guys...Stingers are possibly the loudest catback available, except for maybe the SLP Loudmouth...or straight pipes!!! :uh oh:

Here's a comment Postban made about Stingers in a convertible:

Stingers are just plain too damn loud. No you will not be able to hear the radio unless you go up past 6-7 bars, even then they are still most of what you hear. Also its not because of drone or vibration, it is just pure volume. The mufflers are the size of a coffee can so not much reduction going on there. I had them on mine after the 8.8 swap, sounded good at first, lots of compliments but I hated not being able to hear my phone ring and having to blare the radio just to hear traffic and weather.

In order of loudness, the general order of catbacks is as follows...

1. Stock cat-back
2. Ford Racing FR-500
3. Steeda / Borla 14858
4. Magnaflow
5. ...
6. ... [ A bunch of others in here... ]
7. ...
8. Borla Stinger
9. SLP Loudmouth
10. Straight pipes

Check out my Borla 14858 review below. If you want a healthy sound without the drawbacks of the louder cat-backs, read on...

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=128835

-Greg

67scstang

SVT
Established Member
Magnaflow's are great. I think the drone comes more from the x-pipe. Have the Magnaflow catback on my '04, no noticiable drone. Had the Magnaflow cat + xpipe on my GT and it had more of a drone. Nothing compared to Flowmaster, Spintech and other I have tried.

pwildbil

Established Member
THANKS EVERYONE....GREAT THREAD LINK TOO

Sounds like the borla 14858 or the magnaflows are the way to go for me...best of both worlds!!!

thanks again to everyone!!!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I had Magnaflows with a catted X-pipe - terrible drone.
Dumped the Maggies and went with a Steeda catback. No more drone.

Bottom line is if you stick with the stock H-pipe you'll be less apt to get any obnoxious drone. The Ford Racing catback is the quietest of them all, followed IMO by the Steeda. Add an X-pipe and welcome a bit of drone.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
I detect no drone with my Bassani cat back either. It's very easy to carry on a conversation in normal tones. Unless I get on it. Then it growls and roars. It is truly the best sounding CB I have ever had. Very deep tone with the Bassani. I get nothing but compliments.

spinscan

Established Member
I have stingers and stock H. It sounds great to me and I have no trouble listening to the radio or having a conversation.

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
Originally posted by CobraBob
Bottom line is if you stick with the stock H-pipe you'll be less apt to get any obnoxious drone. The Ford Racing catback is the quietest of them all, followed IMO by the Steeda. Add an X-pipe and welcome a bit of drone.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
The magnaflows with the stock H are probably the quietest, then the Steeda/Borla ovals. I have the Stingers, and they are loud, but to me really don't drone all that bad, but like I said they are loud. The FR 500 is probably the quietest and offers the quietest sound with close to the best performance.

All that matters is that you find sound clips and listen to as many clips as you can.

Don't forget the new Amazon kit. It falls between the standard borla and the stingers.

cobra4v

Hooked On SVT
Established Member
My freinds 03 with Magnaflow catted X and FR500 cat-back is very quiet with no drone. I have a magnaflow cat-back with the stock h-pipe...a little louder than stock with a slight drone.

Users who are viewing this thread