what can the 10 to 12 stock motor handle

redrum12

Established Member
Ok im biut to purchase a shelby either 10 to 12 or a used 13. The 10 to 12 makes a lot less power but what can the stock motor ha dle can I swap the superchargers and make 700 wheel and it be ok. Cuz for around 10k less the 10 to 12 seems like the better choice. Thanks for the help

musclefan21

Established Member
700-750 whp all day long with a good tune, vmp or lund for our cars.

There are other great tuners out there for our cars.

Tim Barth @ Modular Power House > vmp and lund in my opinion. Made great power on dyno and went 10.50s with a slipping clutch, full weight in July...

So yes, good tune would be the difference between a blown motor or healthy motor.

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
Same but different. The 11-12 are aluminum blocks and the 07-10 are cast iron. All are good a tad over 700, some prefer the cast iron over aluminum. Far as tuners, everyone has their preferences. I'm a Mike Troyer fan myself. Man is a genius. There's a reason Ford loves the guy

nxhappy

Established Member
Same but different. The 11-12 are aluminum blocks and the 07-10 are cast iron. All are good a tad over 700, some prefer the cast iron over aluminum. Far as tuners, everyone has their preferences. I'm a Mike Troyer fan myself. Man is a genius. There's a reason Ford loves the guy

interesting I didn't know that....aren't cast iron blocks stronger ?

I know there are plenty of people with 700-750 whp with no issues. Hell even some over 800 whp with the stock block. But I would say anything over 800 and you are pushing it. Just needs a good tune with conservative AFR and timing. Lean AFR + advanced timing and shit gas = BOOM

Gearhead-FMC

Established Member
OP...

I bought the '12 for this reason .... savings of more than $16K (just in price, not including taxes) over a '13!

For just under $8k, I have a car that handles superbly ( Watts link, BMR adjustable Upper/Lower) and has some upgrades associated with better performance (One-pieces DS, MGW shifter at 6 turns, CS Heat Exchanger)....and...... a KB 2.8LC on my bench(Per Revan Racing, should be at 690RWHP) which will be installed in a couple of weeks.

Really.... the car handles like a dream, runs damn good with stock blower.... Just need to upgrade the sound system and I should be set to go (yeah sure...)!

Once I burn up the balance of the Goodyears.... likely very, very quickly, I'll slap on some MPSS meats.

I really wanted a '13/'14 (~560 RWHP from factory??? or so) but just could I no way justify the extra bucks

Good luck with your decision.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
I wouldn't say the cast iron blocks are stronger just easier/cheaper to rebuild if you blow it up. Fwiw I haven't heard of as many aluminum blocks letting go, especially the 11/12s for whatever reason. I wouldn't be afraid of pushing either one to 700-750 though.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Anything the '13/'14 can handle, the '11/'12 can handle it, too. Put some knock sensors on the '07-'10 and it could probably handle more than any of them with that iron block. I haven't heard a single story of any of the aluminum blocks letting go, though, at any HP level. I've only seen that one video that probably all GT500 owners have seen of an '09 letting go on the dyno. But I'm pretty sure that was just a crap tune.

I still trust Carroll Shelby when he said these engines can comfortably handle 1,000HP [at the crank.] He didn't qualify that with "with some better rods and/or pistons." How much power does the Cobra Jet make? Now consider we're all running de-tuned Cobra Jet engines. If I'm not mistaken, the Cobra Jet can be had with up to 2,000HP. (I might very well be wrong there, and of course, now you're talking about some serious forged parts and fueling upgrades.) I honestly wouldn't be too worried about pushing my car out to 900HP at the crank with stock internals. Why 900HP, you ask? Because from what I've read, that's about the limit of efficient power out of the Whipple 2.9, anything beyond that and you're overworking the blower.

I said all that to say, don't sweat 700WHP - 750WHP on stock internals. Just get a good tune, strong fuel pump(s), and big injectors.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
Just consider though that for that 10k you get the following (in random order): TVS, larger injectors, 7k over-rev, upgraded TR6060, carbon-fiber ds, upgraded fpdm, upgraded fuel pumps, more advanced traction control, 15" 6-piston front rotors, Ford GT cams, larger charge-air cooler, larger HE, larger radiator, standard engine oil cooler, piston squirters, additional cooling passage around the exhaust valves, stellite faced exhaust valves, transmission cooler, rear diff cooler, dual-mode Bilsteins, track apps, dark-tinted LED tails, and a slightly more aggressive factory exhaust with quad-tips among a number of others details I'm leaving out.

In a 13/14 you're a pulley, intake, tb, and tune away from 700rwhp.

However, the 2011-2012 cars offer a host of benefits that some may not realize. Not having this pesky drive-line protection, factory 3.73s, better road holding and slalom times (if you're a road-course guy), a bit higher upside for mods, and a more useable 6th gear.

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
Just consider though that for that 10k you get the following (in random order): TVS, larger injectors, 7k over-rev, upgraded TR6060, carbon-fiber ds, upgraded fpdm, upgraded fuel pumps, more advanced traction control, 15" 6-piston front rotors, Ford GT cams, larger charge-air cooler, larger HE, larger radiator, standard engine oil cooler, piston squirters, additional cooling passage around the exhaust valves, stellite faced exhaust valves, transmission cooler, rear diff cooler, dual-mode Bilsteins, track apps, dark-tinted LED tails, and a slightly more aggressive factory exhaust with quad-tips among a number of others details I'm leaving out.

In a 13/14 you're a pulley, intake, tb, and tune away from 700rwhp.

However, the 2011-2012 cars offer a host of benefits that some may not realize. Not having this pesky drive-line protection, factory 3.73s, better road holding and slalom times (if you're a road-course guy), a bit higher upside for mods, and a more useable 6th gear.
No question the '13-14 GT-500 is a beast, esp a monster 0-60 (1st gear is made tall just for that) as almost nothing is going to compete against you unless you run into the big hell-cat in the upcoming months (Apparently if lucky like Jay Leno you can get one for 59k). '13's also have the neat dash, but nothing like upcoming hell-cat which you can tune the motor\suspension\everything from the dash. From my understanding for the 5.4l to get 700-750whp all that is needed is the TVS 2.3l, 3k.

They had an un-sold '14 GT-500 w\o nav\etc for sale when I took mine in and that sucker was priced at 64k, makes no sense, esp with the Hell-Cat right around the corner with an 8-Speed auto hitting 0-60 in 3.6 and 10.8 Quarter Mile + being able to fit everyone in the back and have a huge trunk. All my friends hate me now when I stuff them in the back of the Shelby, nowhere near as bad as the Camaro though. Though I assume there is a reason the Shelbys are on "hold" trying to figure out how to tackle the Hell-Cat which weighs 4400lbs yet is setting new records, + has the option of one wicked fast 8-speed auto, standard is the 6-speed which is built above the Vipers TR6060 specs.

[video=youtube;MWMjR3r-nsI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWMjR3r-nsI[/video]

Do note my experience with the Challenger SRT was "shop-queen" but the Hell-Cat seems like a monster and they are finally on-track. No way in hell the new Shelby is not coming out without an automatic option, which I know would have Carroll turning in his grave. I do love how Leno trolls the Hell-Cat on the Hemi-Orange color, he is right though, even vs the 08, that for sure is not a Hemi-Orange motor.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread