What brand 6 rib belt are the Vortech guys using?

Brutal Metal

Established Member
There's Goodyear,Gates,Dayco,Napa etc.. Is one better than the other as far as less slippage and noise?
And is there a certain pulley size where you have to switch from a 113 to a 112? 99 Cobra, thanks..

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
I run Gates on my car. I can't remember off the top of my head, but I want to say there ws a 2" difference in belt length between my 3.4" pulley and 3.2".

00BlackGT

Established Member
I am running a Dayco on my car, and it deff. looks beefier then the gates that i have in my trunk as a spare.

Chris98vobra

Too much boost
Established Member
I found the Gates and the Goodyear to be the most flexible and soft. When you go to a small pulley you want that.

The entire time I had my Vortech, even down to a 3.12" pulley, I ran a 113" belt.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
How tight is the 113?

I don't have my Vortech installed yet slo984now, just finishing up purchasing the final parts hence me asking about the correct belt, I don't foresee going any smaller than a 3.25 until I switch to 8 rib unless everyone here sees NO Slip with the 3.125?

tistan

Established Member
As far as I know it is a stock crank pulley 3.25 blower pulley. I found measurements for the stock pulley and mine meassured the same. I tried the 113" because that is what vortechs site said and it was slack as could be. I tried several different belts down to a 111" and the next belt in stock below that was a 109 3/4. It just barley fit on.

My blower had a reichard racing 2.7 6 rib on it when I bought it. I never used it, but I sold it a guy on here and he said he wasn't getting any belt slip out of it.

Chris98vobra

Too much boost
Established Member
I ran a reichard racing 2.9 pulley with a 110.5 gates belt. the goodyear gatorback belts are junk

Why do you say that? I have run them before and found them quite good and especially with small pullies because due to their design they can handle tighter bends more easily.

Also for the 99 Cobra guys I see in the install instructions that another Idler pulley needs to be installed? Is this correct? scroll down to page 10 on this link and note where it says "Vortech Idler"??
http://www.superchargersonline.com/downloads/manuals/vortech/4fr218im.pdf

Correct

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Thanks Chris looks like I gotta hit my friend up again for that idler pulley, haha, he's a Vortech dealer..Now for that Damm Coolant Crossover, I'm probably just gonna cut and modify the stocker...

Furinox

Established Member
Why do you say that? I have run them before and found them quite good and especially with small pullies because due to their design they can handle tighter bends more easily.

Correct

A few reasons. I tried one and got slip and the belt wore down super fast. I then bought a RR Pulley and talked to their support where they said they have also had bad luck with the gatorback belts. Also if you think about it, the sideways slits in the gatorback makes for less friction surface on the belt.

pip2hot4u

Established Member
belt size

I have a 98 cobra with an S-trim and a 3.25 pulley. I use the 113 inch belt and the only time I notice any slip it when it is cold and I first crank it up. Every now and then my belt will jump 1 rib off the supercharger pulley. Of course this eats the outside of the belt up and makes a heck of a mess. O'reillys carries a 112.5 inch belt that i am going to try next. The 113 is very tight , I might have other issues. I dont think anything shorter than a 112.5 will fit.

Users who are viewing this thread