What are your thoughts on this IRS build up...

LongshotSVT

I piss excellence
Established Member
I was going for a solid axle swap but have since decided I'm going to give the IRS a fighting chance and do a light build on it to see how it performs. A combination of all the IRS tech threads and the small parts I was going to have to source for the solid swap have left me to make that deciscion so please don't attempt to convince me one way or the other. That being said, here's my plan.

First, my goal is to try and eliminate wheel hop. The tires I'm planning to run are BFG Drag radials for those interested.

Setup:
-Steeda Diff brace
-Maximum Motorsports urethane control Arm bushings
-Ac427Cobra's solid subframe & front/rear diff bushings
-14mm Bolts

What does everyone think, should this do the job of nearly eliminating wheel hop? To me it seems like it'll be a pretty solid IRS setup, but I want opinions from people with similar setups.

I chose the MM control arm bushings vice Bruce's due to the price and me being on a budget. That and I've found through searching it seems that the subframe and diff bushings are the biggest contributors to wheel hop.

wlg101190

Established Member
I have the Billetflow IRS brace, and Bruce's complete IRS bushing kit (Also have 14mm IRS bolts). I am running some 275 Toyo DR's and have virtually no wheel hop for the most part on the street. Sometimes, I get some from a stop, but rarely. The handling is a huge plus, and I do not regret building mine up at all! :banana:

Jroc

Established Member
Just go with Bruces kit. No need to mix match parts. Beside Bruces control arm bushings are probably less than MM. I've had Bruces kit for over two years, and I got my car to wheelhop with it one time, but the road was wet after a rain. Other than that no wheelhop with it, and I run street radials.

A straight axle will wheelhop also. Try going to a staight axle and using factory control arms, shocks, etc, and see how much it doesn't wheel hop.

Last edited:

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
A good portion of wheel hop comes from the control arms so shortcutting that with poly, budget or not, will leave you wanting. It's not cheap to completely eliminate wheel hop, whether you go the properly bushinged IRS or an SRA swap. Unfortunately you gotta pay to play with this much power and a castrated IRS. My vote - Bruce's full kit. UHMW Subframe bushings, full Delrin control arm bushings, and aluminum/Delrin differential bushings complete with the grease fittings. That's my Christmas present to myself and I can't wait...

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
I too would go with Bruce's full kit. Also may want to consider full length subframe connectors and adjustable shocks. Is this for basically a street setup or drag strip?

LongshotSVT

I piss excellence
Established Member
I too would go with Bruce's full kit. Also may want to consider full length subframe connectors and adjustable shocks. Is this for basically a street setup or drag strip?

Street with the occasional drag duty. I also do have FLSFCs. In regards to the poly control arm bushings, they're $80 vice $360 for bruce's.

Ray Lucca

Established Member
Get Bruce's FULL KIT, Bolts, Grease Fittings, and Bumpsteer Kit if you can afford it. Get a good 4 wheel alognment, you might also need the MM C/C Plates. The Best Mod..!!

DarkSnake

03 DSG Cobra
Established Member
Bruce's kit rocks, it is much cheaper than mixing everything, but i don't think the kit includes a irs brace, get the steeda, and don't forget the subframe connectors like IronTerp said.

skaarew04SVT

Not quite fast enough
Established Member
got Bruces full kit in my IRS, after 1.5 months of driving the car, I have had zero wheel hop, much more positive feel / articulation of suspension, as well as I plant my 630 SAE RWHP like never before on nitto NT05s.

Bruces kit alleviated my issues....highly recommend!
well worth the effort!

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I can't speak on the bushings, but I can tell you with 100% certanty that the Billetflow brace fits WAY better than the Steeda. I've had both and the Steeda did not fit good at all. I had to fight it, grind it, push it, fight it, etc.... The Billetflow went right in, no fuss no fight, just right in!

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Thanks for all of the testimonials and endorsements guys! :-D Glad to see you are all enjoying the new found thrill in your IRS assemblies. :dancenana:

skaarew04SVT: I'm thrilled you have had such great success with an IRS in a car that puts down 630 RWHP. I advise customers that the kit is usually good to around 600 RWHP depending on many other contributing factors. Many people have had success with over 600, I just don't like to 'guarantee' it.

OP: When you see the amount of work involved with rebuilding the IRS assembly, I can assure you that you don't want to be doing it again any time soon. IMHO I think you'll be kicking yourself for wasting $80 on some crappy poly bushings you'll eventually be taking out of your car at some point.

Some food for thought!

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

Users who are viewing this thread