What are the symptoms of the PPRV having been removed?

Jiffy

Established Member
So, after lots of trouble over the past couple of years with tuning the car for a 2.3 Whipple and a KB BaP, it's all been pretty good and stable for the past year. There is a characteristic of starting that is piquing my curiosity though - when the car is cold, or it hasn't been started for a couple of hours - it won't idle for the first 5-10 seconds, and the throttle has to be opened slightly to get the revs up to around 1100rpm. After 5-10 seconds, the air-bleed valve will take over control of the idle and thereafter it's fine.

When the tuners were trying to resolve numerous issues with the new (used) setup, one was due to the PPRV being gummed up in the tank causing the pumps to spool up to outrageous pressures, then flood the injectors when the fuel pressure overrode the gummed-up PPRV in the tank.

I'm wondering if to resolve that, the tuner removed the PPRV (and didn't tell me at the time, and now can't remember) when the pumps were out just to remove the problem from occurring and that's the cause of the starting issue I have.

The MAF has been increased from the OEM to a SCT BA 2600, I aso fitted an accufab SBTB (don't know why that would make a difference, but...)

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Did the issue start after you installed the Accufab TB?

Soap

Established Member
1) Why not drop the tank and look to see if the PPRV is still there.
2) When the PPRV is deleted it typically does require longer priming or a little stumble for the first few seconds, but it is no big deal.

--Joe

01yellercobra

Established Member
A deleted PPRV usually just leads to longer cranking times. Unless you let the pumps prime first. I usually turn the key and wait a few second before cranking it over. It starts up like stock that way. As for the cold stumble it sounds like your tune still needs some tweaking. I have the SBTB and don't have any cold start issues.

Jiffy

Established Member
Suspect that the main culprit is the tune, but will experiment with a longer ‘on’ time before cranking.
Thanks for responding

Jiffy

Established Member
ok- longer "on" time didn't really make any difference. It has always started ok but it's the time to initial idle that is the issue. Most likely the tune...

Users who are viewing this thread