NotSatisfied

Established Member
SPR-HW?

Has green steering clips.

So weird.
IMG_9809.JPG
IMG_9805.JPG

View attachment 1771737

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile appView attachment 1771736

NotSatisfied

Established Member
I thought cobras were ZM

This one looks to be the right part number…but HW?? What the heck??

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
From what I've read, don't go by the part number since they used the same housings in a lot of cars. The SPR code will tell you what internals "should" be in there if it's original and not rebuilt. I've never seen SPR-HW anywhere on the net but seeing as how the codes are generally in alphabetical order I'm guessing it was originally from an early SN-95 car. Did you buy it remanufactured?

vr4

Established Member
Yeah that "part number" is just the engineering number for the housing.

That said I've never seen HW. No idea.

NotSatisfied

Established Member
From what I've read, don't go by the part number since they used the same housings in a lot of cars. The SPR code will tell you what internals "should" be in there if it's original and not rebuilt. I've never seen SPR-HW anywhere on the net but seeing as how the codes are generally in alphabetical order I'm guessing it was originally from an early SN-95 car. Did you buy it remanufactured?

I talked to last owner and as far as we know the rack is original. There were owners before him so who knows. I have a donor ZM rack coming so hopefully I can notice a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Roush6018

Established Member
i hope your new cobra rack drives the way a cobra steering rack should. i cant say i know how a mark 8 drives , but it is a v8 with rwd , similar to your cobra if you think about it. i had a mustang gt steering rack and my 18" wheels would grind on my swaybar, then i installed the cardone 03-04 cobra specific rack and have not had my 18" wheels grind on my swaybar once.

DCguy

Established Member
i hope your new cobra rack drives the way a cobra steering rack should. i cant say i know how a mark 8 drives , but it is a v8 with rwd , similar to your cobra if you think about it. i had a mustang gt steering rack and my 18" wheels would grind on my swaybar, then i installed the cardone 03-04 cobra specific rack and have not had my 18" wheels grind on my swaybar once.
Theres probably 1 or 2 steering rack limiters in the rack. Very simple cheap part you can add to any rack…delrin material…cobra racks came with one limiter on each side….like 10-15mm thick…prob why your rubbing issues stopped….i added an extra set of limiters in my rack to make sure nothing rubs.

03' White Snake

Established Member
Theres probably 1 or 2 steering rack limiters in the rack. Very simple cheap part you can add to any rack…delrin material…cobra racks came with one limiter on each side….like 10-15mm thick…prob why your rubbing issues stopped….i added an extra set of limiters in my rack to make sure nothing rubs.
Exactly. I rebuilt my OEM rack years ago, cobra racks have limiters installed.

I would highly doubt driving the car you would notice the slight difference in the ratios if there even are any. I wouldn’t fuss over looking for a cobra specific rack. Add the limiters and move on.

01yellercobra

Established Member
That's another reason I think my 01 was a bit odd. I ran 17x9 wheels up front and it never rubbed. Well, it didn't rub on any of the hard parts. I was low enough it rubbed on the fender liner. But my 04 rubs in the same spot on the fender liner with the same wheels.

NotSatisfied

Established Member
Exactly. I rebuilt my OEM rack years ago, cobra racks have limiters installed.

I would highly doubt driving the car you would notice the slight difference in the ratios if there even are any. I wouldn’t fuss over looking for a cobra specific rack. Add the limiters and move on.
I believe the Cobra and Cobra R have larger torsion bars than the Lincoln Sedans and Ford Thunderbirds. I would “guess” different valving too

Users who are viewing this thread