What a mess!!!

tricked350z

Established Member
well about 5 weeks ago I went to carmax looking to buy a truck ive always wanted. A 2002 SVT Lightning with 31k on it. It was black, all stock except it had a borla catback on it and it sounded great and i figured hey this will be smooth sailing. Well, that day i had got there by 6 and we were out of there by 8. the car was $22k. well on the way home from drving back from carmax, (about a 40 minute drive) the car started bucking and surging and felt like it had half the horsepower. and just ran like crap. We couuld'nt take it back that night beacuse they were closed beacuse we got dinner afterwords. anyways, after hardly making it home that night, I got it towed down the next day. After 5 days of them playing around with it, they said the heads were bad. I said forget it! I dont want it. Carmax had a seconed car that was all the way in vegas (im in Maryland). It was a 2001 Lighning (black) with only 22K on it. Less miles then the first and funny thing is it was cheaper by like $3K then the first one. So I figured hey what are the chances of this having a problem? One in a million! so mean while we placed the order for that one and i did something i shouldnt of have done. the modding bug hit me and i started buying all kinds of things such as eibachs and shackles and tunners and all kinds of stuff like that with the graduation money i got. Well, anyway they told us that it would take only 2 weeks to get it to us from vegas. I said no problem. 5 weeks later!!! after they made excuse after excuse it finnaly got here wendsday night. They called me and I went down and test drove it. It ran fine, and was super clean. I made sure this time that i got the 3 year warranty with it. Just in case. well I drove it home that night and it felt great. Well then i wanted my dad to take it down to his work to put the eibachs on the next day. That night he came home and said he didnt have enough time to put them on yesturday so i said no problem. (BUT THANK GOD HE DIDNT!!!). He said it drove fine going to and from work. well yesturday night was the first night i really got to drive it. took it up and showed some of my friends. didnt do any brunouts or any thing like that just did a couple revs of the engine and a few launches from a stop. They were impressed. But I did nothing crazy. again ran fine. how ever, I start it up this morning and as im going to the grocery store about halfway it starts doing the same thing as the first one. studering and shaking and it idled very rough and hard. Then when you punch it, it feels like it only has half the horsepower and that something was holding it back, and just ran like crap! so now i guess im going to take it back to carmax anfd get my money back. what do you guys think i should do and what do you think is the problem?:fm::fm::fm::fm::fm:

Last edited:

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
wounder if they are jacking with the computers or something... sounds odd. is the SES light on? if so what code? maby they did a tune up and used some wrong shit like some crappy plugs??? maby they put un 87 octane??

Cocoloco

BEEP BEEP...ROAD RAGE!!!
Established Member
:shrug:WOW!!! That is really weird and sucks at the same time:shrug:

Whats the chance of two doing the same thing????

You don't have a Ford SVT dealership close by??? Maybe let them take
a quick look.I don't know what kind of mechanics work at CarMax as far
as high-performance goes???

Good Luck and sorry to hear:beer:

BigMattfromNJ

Established Member
:shrug:WOW!!! That is really weird and sucks at the same time:shrug:

Whats the chance of two doing the same thing????

You don't have a Ford SVT dealership close by??? Maybe let them take
a quick look.I don't know what kind of mechanics work at CarMax as far
as high-performance goes???

Good Luck and sorry to hear:beer:

yea haveing two trucks from carmax do the same things is werid. I wonder if they did put crap plugs or maybe 87 in it.

allgo90

Established Member
change the plugs and fill up with 93, if it still has the problem then take it back

Cocoloco

BEEP BEEP...ROAD RAGE!!!
Established Member
Also.....Ford has their own vehicle history data-bank that you can have someone
@ Ford check out for you to see if that particuliar vehicle was brought in for
alot of service work.Hence.....A lemon????

Whats the name???? Omni or something like that??? I can't remember right now!?!

But....try plugs and 93???? Maybe Carmax doesn't know how to treat a SVT vehicle?

Or at least take one of the easy plugs out to see what you have in their first???

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
yea yea i say the plug swap and gas... also get those codes read. might be something stupid they did with a tune up or something.

Cocoloco

BEEP BEEP...ROAD RAGE!!!
Established Member
the ses light did not come on with the first one but did come on with this one.

Are you close to WMS motorsports(JJ's)??? If your not that far from him
(I believe he's in Maryland also) Let JJ give you a hand???

He's an awesome guy and can tune the Sh*t out of an L BTW:beer:

tricked350z

Established Member
well on the first L the carmax techs determined it was the heads ( i dont know if they kno what they are talkina bout) but if it was the same type of prob on that one then wouldnt it be the heads on this one to? also i have not put gas in it at all. just running off of what was in it. whn i bought it it was at a full tank. now its down to almost half.

Red Mustang Gt

13.2@105 MPH STOCK!
Established Member
HINT: CARMAX service department SUCKS!!! Hope your not using the White Marsh CARMAX...

And warranty...they will do anything to get out of fixing your car under warranty, they'll say it's not covered, your fault, etc... I'VE BEEN THERE!!!

Anyhow, good luck on your search for a Lightning...

firemanlightnin

Its a Hybrid
Established Member
dont give up on it just yet...try what the other members are telling you and if it still acts up then go on to your plan B: take it back. Good Luck...once it sorts out youll enjoy it!

DSG04Lightning

U.S. PARATROOPER
Established Member
i bought mine from carmax w/o problems, i know they have the 3 day return policy, take it to ford in the morn have them look at it! check the Gas whats left in there!

tricked350z

Established Member
im thinking they may have put the standered f150 spark plugs on it, put 87 in it or put the wrong kind of collant in it. if its one of those i`ll end up keeping the truck. if its something majior, out she goes.

Cocoloco

BEEP BEEP...ROAD RAGE!!!
Established Member
Usually....The only problem with heads in a Lightning is the # of threads for
the spark plugs.The older L's had a problem spitting plugs because of boost and
lack of threads.Some do....some don't.

Other than spitting a plug (which you would definitely know about)these heads are
solid and usually don't cause any problems even under high-boost.

What did they say was wrong with the heads???? I call "BS" for both trucks.......

Users who are viewing this thread