What A/F ratio are you guys running in your tunes

redfire03 svt

Established Member
Wow,

The reponses are great guys. Now you are scaring me, maybe I will just get it calibrated for the gears and call it quits. This is my daily driver and cannot afford catastrophic engine failure.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
redfire03 svt said:
Wow,

The reponses are great guys. Now you are scaring me, maybe I will just get it calibrated for the gears and call it quits. This is my daily driver and cannot afford catastrophic engine failure.

I wouldn't even mod a DD past an exhaust and intake IMO. I'm having troubles justifying a whipple at 8 psi on my DD.

DD = need to get to work in one piece.

Rwick7

Established Member
redfire03 svt said:
Wow,

Do not let this guy scare you. Just don't go too crazy with it. A 2.93 pulley and a tune will be LONG lasting fun. The blown engines are very rare with mild combos and are usually a result from high speed runs which you sound like your smart enough not to do anyway.

I would daily drive a 2.93 car without any worries...hell I did for 15000 miles without a single issue. I know many others that have also...just don't act like an idiot and use some common sense.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Yes, I am the doomsdayer. That's why everyone just goes out and grabs a pullied Cobra like they're going out of style in the Auto Trader. :rollseyes

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
I've driven my car with a 2.8 upper and a tune set at 11.8 across the board and it ran fine! I'm not a Dragger/WOT/High speed runs type of person but I sometimes do 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear pulls on the hwy to about 110-120 or so. IMO, I see nothing wrong with a pullied Cobra as long as you don't abuse it! Keep in mind that these guys that blew motors all came from 30-40 secs. of boostin' to blow away nascar speed records. To me all of that is uncalled for! I'm not too worried about blowing a motor I'm not abusing.... Those people out there that do abuse them know what lies in the road ahead!

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
I-CAN-STANG said:
I've driven my car with a 2.8 upper and a tune set at 11.8 across the board and it ran fine! I'm not a Dragger/WOT/High speed runs type of person but I sometimes do 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear pulls on the hwy to about 110-120 or so. IMO, I see nothing wrong with a pullied Cobra as long as you don't abuse it! Keep in mind that these guys that blew motors all came from 30-40 secs. of boostin' to blow away nascar speed records. To me all of that is uncalled for! I'm not too worried about blowing a motor I'm not abusing.... Those people out there that do abuse them know what lies in the road ahead!

Good point. :thumbsup:

I'm not sure if the others were abusing there cars when they went KABOOM, but from all accounts, many claim that it was "the first time" they did an extended WOT run to 160. :uh oh:

ModsAway

Established Member
What difference in A/F would going from 91 octane to Sunoco's good ole' Ultra 94 octane?

I fully intend on getting my car tuned in the 11.7-12.0 range with 91 in the tank and then mostly using 94 from Sunoco (unless I find myself empty with no Sunoco in sight).

3 octane points = a/f difference of ?

redfire03 svt

Established Member
Umm, Maybe I should throw a 2.93 on there then. Right now, mine is my daily driver, but I am looking for a daily beater. Do you guys run after market heat exchangers with your pullies? I think for now I may go with the calibrator, and then get the Billet flow pullies and full tune once I get a daily beater. Yes, that sounds good I believe. So pullied, I should keep it around 11.7 across the board, and then dip to 11.5 above 5,500 rpms to keep it nice and safe.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
ModsAway said:
What difference in A/F would going from 91 octane to Sunoco's good ole' Ultra 94 octane?

I fully intend on getting my car tuned in the 11.7-12.0 range with 91 in the tank and then mostly using 94 from Sunoco (unless I find myself empty with no Sunoco in sight).

3 octane points = a/f difference of ?

That's a good question. And there is no simple answer. You can calculate a number of items, like max boost, timing, etc.

Here's some info from Mr. Bell (I think you know who this dude is):

http://www.superchargersonline.com/content.asp?id=17

The general consensus is 2 octane points per psi of boost. He recommends 96 octane for 8 psi, so we folks out here in 91-ville are really pushing it as it is in stock form. Ideally, you want 93 or 94 octane with stock boost.

Mr. Bell recommends 4 degrees timing retardation per octane point reduction. So, it's not a matter of how much boost you can get away with, it's how high an octane rating you plan on running. :thumbsup:

EDIT:

Some more goodies regarding octane:

http://www.superchargersonline.com/content.asp?ID=105

Last edited:

ModsAway

Established Member
:eek: Very good read, there are quite a few people I need to show that to. I have been trying to explain how higher octanes are useless on "standard" or "low end" cars.

Well to answer my own question I will just have to wait and see. I will tune everything with 91 octane then fill her up with 94 and dyno again, should be interesting.

Thanks for those links.

CharlieCobra03

Established Member
Well, I've got a 2.8 on mine with the tune around 11.8:1 for the curve. The car has 43K on the clock and I try to stay below 130 or so. I hit the speed limiter before I pullied more than once and that was enough for my curiousity. I'm thinking of going to the ported blower because of the heat reduction as well as the HP increase. What about changing weather conditions? I guess the only way to tell is to buy an LM-1 and data log whenever the weather changes drastically, say 20* difference.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
CharlieCobra03 said:
Well, I've got a 2.8 on mine with the tune around 11.8:1 for the curve. The car has 43K on the clock and I try to stay below 130 or so. I hit the speed limiter before I pullied more than once and that was enough for my curiousity. I'm thinking of going to the ported blower because of the heat reduction as well as the HP increase. What about changing weather conditions? I guess the only way to tell is to buy an LM-1 and data log whenever the weather changes drastically, say 20* difference.

I wouldn't worry too much, so long as your incoming air temps are low. As long as the air filter isn't sucking in engine heat, and the blower isn't producing too much heat, the weather shouldn't be a problem.

Well, I take that back. It can be a problem if you tune it for 65°F, then run it at 115°F ambient temps most likely found in AZ. :uh oh:

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
stlblack03 said:
this is way out of hand...I give up

:lol: :lol:

Better get the oven mitts on and grab the vaseline! The KING OF BLOWERS has spoken and we all don't like what he has to say. :uh oh:

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member
PlatinumCobra said:
Well say what you want but I've been keeping tabs of the blown motors on here for a long, long time. Let's recap a sampling of some of the fried piston owners with WOT 6K+ A/F ratios, shall we?:

Grey03Cobra: 11.8:1
SaleenGTRoush: 12:1
Zinc03Cobra 12:1+
Racerat 12:1
Dgussin 12:1
Shadowgray03 12:1
Toofast4u 11.8:1
Stangin 12:1
slvrsnake 11.8:1
Coleman 12:1
RedSquad7 12:1
cobra93teal 12:1
capnkirk52 11.8:1
tommygun 12.2:1
Kino 12.1:1

Soon as they get my pistons out you may be able to add me to the list. I was running 11.1 WOT though. Don't know if anything is wrong with the pistons yet. Standby.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
FLYIN said:
PlatinumCobra said:
Well say what you want but I've been keeping tabs of the blown motors on here for a long, long time. Let's recap a sampling of some of the fried piston owners with WOT 6K+ A/F ratios, shall we?:

Grey03Cobra: 11.8:1
SaleenGTRoush: 12:1
Zinc03Cobra 12:1+
Racerat 12:1
Dgussin 12:1
Shadowgray03 12:1
Toofast4u 11.8:1
Stangin 12:1
slvrsnake 11.8:1
Coleman 12:1
RedSquad7 12:1
cobra93teal 12:1
capnkirk52 11.8:1
tommygun 12.2:1
Kino 12.1:1

Soon as they get my pistons out you may be able to add me to the list. I was running 11.1 WOT though. Don't know if anything is wrong with the pistons yet. Standby.

Interesting. Vacuum problem?

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
I run a tune that is 12.2-11.9:1

I have beat the hell out of my car for 23k now, and had a 12.5:1 afr for the first 15k, and been sprayed since the 17k mile mark.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
broke7 said:
I run a tune that is 12.2-11.9:1

I have beat the hell out of my car for 23k now, and had a 12.5:1 afr for the first 15k, and been sprayed since the 17k mile mark.

Would you care to join me in the Silver State Classic to prove your virility??? :poke:

Rwick7

Established Member
PlatinumCobra said:
:lol: :lol:

Better get the oven mitts on and grab the vaseline! The KING OF BLOWERS has spoken and we all don't like what he has to say. :uh oh:

I'm certainly not the king of blowers but I've been around these cars since the beginning and what you are saying is just not true. :shrug: But its obvious that you know it all..so I'm done trying.

Users who are viewing this thread