What a bunch of bullshit.

Kiohtee

Established Member
There's two ways a recording/monitoring device can work in this situation. 1) Make it completely voluntarily. If Joe thinks he can get a discount because he hardly drives and when he does it's never above the speed limit or five over, good for him and more power to him. 2) Force it on people with high yearly/bi-yearly claims or what have you. This one is pretty self explanatory.

Do NOT, however, force it upon those without tickets and with little to no claims. That's a recipe for disaster. We as a race/government/insert here have to stop taxing EVERYBODY because of a few people. There are usually ways to tax those who need while leaving those who don't untouched.

Last edited:

jfsram

Established Member
It's not forced onto everyone because you have the option of who to buy insurance from.

I used to share most of your opinions on this issue too. I mean who would want a tattle tale box in their weekend toy.

Like I seldom drive my Mustang. It's parked in the winter. Use the van to drive the kids to school, hockey and most errands around town.

My job is driving a company truck. It's monitored by GPS tracking and will inform my boss where that truck is and how fast it's going. Even warns of extended idling.

Do I like it. Don't care. It's not my truck and rarely do anything I would be ashamed of admitting to anyways.

So if I could have a box like that in my family car, daily commuter to save a bunch of $$$ on insurance. Sign me up! but we are not installing one in the Mustang.

Kiohtee

Established Member
It's not forced onto everyone because you have the option of who to buy insurance from.

I used to share most of your opinions on this issue too. I mean who would want a tattle tale box in their weekend toy.

Like I seldom drive my Mustang. It's parked in the winter. Use the van to drive the kids to school, hockey and most errands around town.

My job is driving a company truck. It's monitored by GPS tracking and will inform my boss where that truck is and how fast it's going. Even warns of extended idling.

Do I like it. Don't care. It's not my truck and rarely do anything I would be ashamed of admitting to anyways.

So if I could have a box like that in my family car, daily commuter to save a bunch of $$$ on insurance. Sign me up! but we are not installing one in the Mustang.

It seems you still do share the same opinion as me. I'd gladly rock one in my DD, but noway nohow in the Cobra lol.

Planter

Banned
thanks but no thanks. I don't want or need someone monitoring or babysitting my driving.

I mean what happens, when I get a phone call that a family member is in a life or death situation and I hit the gas and im flying at 100 mph to get there?

or I see someone coming over into my lane and the only option is to hit the gas and get out of the way because I have someone behind me and in the other lane, but it's clear up ahead and so I punch it to get to 90?

16-21 years old, im all for it. they need to be monitored and rewarded/punished for their driving habits. their age group causes the most accidents, damage and financial loss of any age group.

flS/R

Established Member
a monitoring device like this "snapshot" thing is good for rental cars but I am not yet willing to succumb to an insurance company's ploy to monitor my driving habits and be able to locate my car on their whim

Dusten

Established Member
a monitoring device like this "snapshot" thing is good for rental cars but I am not yet willing to succumb to an insurance company's ploy to monitor my driving habits and be able to locate my car on their whim

its not a gps tracker, it uses your obdii port to monitor what the ecm sees

Planter

Banned

so they say.

on the flip side, everytime you use your phone, it's a gps device whether you turn on gps or not, your phone is still being tracked by a computer. unless of course you power it off completely.

neatofrito1618

Established Member
What the hell is the point of monitoring someone's speed if you can't match it to an area? So going 70 through residential area would make me a cautious driver, but doing 75 on the interstate would make me a reckless driver?

S8ER01Z

Established Member
I believe it uses the info a bit differently than simple speed calculations. It monitors braking habits, percentage of time you are above x% throttle, etc. (jack rabbit starts, hard stops)

I would have my insurance cancelled after any serious emergency response. :(

Kiohtee

Established Member
so they say.

on the flip side, everytime you use your phone, it's a gps device whether you turn on gps or not, your phone is still being tracked by a computer. unless of course you power it off completely.

My phone's location can be tracked whether it's on or off. Just saying.

adtp337

Established Member
Progressive's Snapshot program monitors hard breaks and the time of day you drive. Higher risk times(very late at night, rush hour) are taken into account. I used it for two of my cars and my monthly bill went from 141/month through USAA down to 86/month with Progressive with the same amount of coverage. I'm really not that concerned with how they use the information, it doesn't have an impact on my day-to-day living.

Vigilante

Established Member
Progressive's Snapshot program monitors hard breaks and the time of day you drive. Higher risk times(very late at night, rush hour) are taken into account. I used it for two of my cars and my monthly bill went from 141/month through USAA down to 86/month with Progressive with the same amount of coverage. I'm really not that concerned with how they use the information, it doesn't have an impact on my day-to-day living.

What about those on graveyard type shifts? The "day" starts for me at 10pm. So driving to a friend's house or go shopping at 1-2am is a weekly occurance not to mention, driving to work at 9pm every night.

Just food for thought

VenomousDSG

Get ready to fly!
Established Member
I just dropped progressive because of this and went with geico. Progressive actually raised my rates by like 20% since my last 6 month policy, had no change in coverage or driving, and when i called them up to get an explanation they spent about 10 minutes trying to push this shit on me...

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If this were to be implemented by insurance companies (and made mandatory or pay a higher annual premium for non-monitoring), then the next thing you know they'll start monitoring WHERE you are driving and charge a premium for driving in a higher risk area (ie. a congested city or a high crime area). Open a hole in this dike and it will just keep getting bigger and bigger. Insurance companies could very well then have multiple surcharges like the banks now do. JMO.

oldie68

Established Member
Snapshot can't tell what kind of driver you are. There isn't a way for it to tell all the bad ones that pull out in front of you and make you slam on the brakes to keep from hitting them. Let alone ones that cut you off on the freeway unless the use a video camera to record what you deal with every day.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Snapshot can't tell what kind of driver you are. There isn't a way for it to tell all the bad ones that pull out in front of you and make you slam on the brakes to keep from hitting them. Let alone ones that cut you off on the freeway unless the use a video camera to record what you deal with every day.

AMEN! I look like a crazy driver because I'm paying attention and actually stop instead of hitting deer that run out in front of me or yield to emergency vehicles that are approaching.

adtp337

Established Member
What about those on graveyard type shifts? The "day" starts for me at 10pm. So driving to a friend's house or go shopping at 1-2am is a weekly occurance not to mention, driving to work at 9pm every night.

Just food for thought

I understand that, and I'm not saying the program is for everybody. They just look at the facts that driving late at night is a higher risk time because of of the darkness, people leaving bars on the roads, etc...

I just dropped progressive because of this and went with geico. Progressive actually raised my rates by like 20% since my last 6 month policy, had no change in coverage or driving, and when i called them up to get an explanation they spent about 10 minutes trying to push this shit on me...

Thats the way the industry works, rates fluctuate due to natural disasters, the economy of the state and area, all companies are affected. I started searching around for insurance when I switched from USAA to Progressive because my USAA rates jumped up for no reason.

Users who are viewing this thread