what 22 caliber plinking/target gun are you shooting?

GrayGhost03

Established Member
with the price of ammo i want to get a 22 cal. for the range and a buddys property. it wont be for defense, just something i can go blast away and not spend alot doing it. i like the ruger mk III cuz its priced right and there are a few used ones in the pawn shops around me. just curious what some of you shoot for this purpose.

txyaloo

Established Member
I assume pistol since you're talking about an MKIII. I have a Jennings J22 for that. It was cheap and any gangster will be glad to buy it from me if I decide to sell. If I were to get a .22 rifle for plinking, it'd be a Ruger 10/22. The aftermarket is plentiful, and they're fairly inexpensive but reliable.

mcdover

Established Member
I assume pistol since you're talking about an MKIII. I have a Jennings J22 for that. It was cheap and any gangster will be glad to buy it from me if I decide to sell. If I were to get a .22 rifle for plinking, it'd be a Ruger 10/22. The aftermarket is plentiful, and they're fairly inexpensive but reliable.

Ruger 10/22. I have an old one with some banana clips that belonged to my dad. Real fun rifle.

Ruger 10/22®*Autoloading*Rifle (10/22RB) Overview

What they said...10/22

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
I have a Savage Mark II. It's a bolt gun with a heavy barrel and a good trigger from the factory. There aren't many stock options so if you plan on getting a stock I'd look for the 10/22.

My savage shoots great and is very fun.

cobra_matt

Established Member
I have a Smith & Wesson Model 22A. It's less expensive than the Ruger and shoots just fine. Cleaning it is fast and easy, and is a very durable piece. It's perfect for the range when you want to go shoot a few hundred rounds. I have a red dot sight on it, but haven't measured any accuracy readings or anything like that. It seems to be fairly accurate at 25 yards though (the length of my local range).

WP64

I Couldn't Care Less...
Established Member
I'm partial to High Standard Supermatics, but this is a collectible firearm/pistol and the original High Standard company has been out of business for 30+ years. The brand is still being made by Mitchell, but they are not that good IMO, nothing like the originals.

Hard to beat the Ruger MKIII in quality, price and aftermarket mods/parts if you want a new gun; if you know what you're doing you should also look at used pistols. BUT, .22 pistols are typically shot a lot, for the same reason you want one, and sometimes because of their affordable price, not treated very well; if you don't know how to evaluate the mechanical condition of a pistol you should buy a new plinker... Just my .02 cents.

Hope that helps :-D

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
High Standard Sport King
Ruger 10/22
S&W 22cal revolver
Browning 22 target pistol
Browning Pump Action Fully Engraved 22cal Rifle
Winchester 22cal Heavy target Rifle.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
My .22 Plinkers

1. Browning Buckmark
2. Original Belgian Browning Medalist
3. High-Standard Supermatic Trophy (original)
4. Ruger 10-22 with Volquartsen Custom fluted barrel, trigger, Leupold Scope
5. Thompson-Center Single Shot 15" barrel with Leupold Scope
6. S&W Model 617 6-inch barrel

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
There used to be this shot-gun shell discarding-sabot round that fired a .22 bullet at 6,000 feet per second with no spin. No accuracy, it kicked like you just got hit by an eighteen wheeler, it would make you go deaf, and each round cost 45 dollars. But oh, my God, did that thing shoot flames!

Jim Snover

GSPsnFORDs

Established Member
Walther P-22 w/the 5'' barrel,fun little gun.
Walther P22 22LR, 5 Inch Barrel, Blued, 10rd Mags

+2 Those are fun little guns!

My .22 pistol is a Browning Challenger III from '86..predecessor to the Buckmark. Love it, but the Buckmark has a better trigger.

If you decide on a rifle the 10/22 is a great gun. About 2 months ago I picked up a Mossberg 702 plinkster semi-auto for $120. Good little gun for the money but the iron sights suck...soon to be scoped.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
There used to be this shot-gun shell discarding-sabot round that fired a .22 bullet at 6,000 feet per second with no spin. No accuracy, it kicked like you just got hit by an eighteen wheeler, it would make you go deaf, and each round cost 45 dollars. But oh, my God, did that thing shoot flames!

Damn!

I also recommend CCI Stinger .22 ammo if you want some fun. It's about as loud as a 9mm and shoots a four inch, white hot flame out the front of my P22.

As for what .22 pistol you should get. I don't recommend the Walther P22. I have one and while it's a fun little gun, it's not very reliable and finicky with ammo.

As already stated, the Ruger MKIII or S&W 22A are better choices.

Users who are viewing this thread