Wet kit lean spike issues and a BAP?

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
Has anyone tried a BAP to overcome wet kit lean spike issues? Found a nice deal on a wet kit locally that I would like to buy. However, Shaun is concerned about lean spikes. He suggested a stand alone enrichment system, or somehow tapping directly into the hat. I don't want to spend the $$ on the stand alone, or fabricate something that taps directly into my fuel system. So, I thought that a BAP may be able to keep the rails filled sufficiently to avoid the initial hit drain effect.

Has anyone tried it?

Mike

ViciousJay

Established Member
Has anyone tried a BAP to overcome wet kit lean spike issues? Found a nice deal on a wet kit locally that I would like to buy. However, Shaun is concerned about lean spikes. He suggested a stand alone enrichment system, or somehow tapping directly into the hat. I don't want to spend the $$ on the stand alone, or fabricate something that taps directly into my fuel system. So, I thought that a BAP may be able to keep the rails filled sufficiently to avoid the initial hit drain effect.

Has anyone tried it?

Mike

if it works for the F/I i cant see why it wouldnt work for a wet system. im curious to know where our pumps max out at if guys that are f/i are in the 700+ range

5bites

Established Member
I don't know anything about pumps but I've read that the solenoid placement can overcome the lean spike. I don't know that as fact though. Some of it probably depends on the size of nitrous jet.

01bluesnake

Established Member
I wouldn't worry to much as the pumps are pretty big in these cars, unless you are trying to run a big shot (100+). Even then a bap would help to keep increased voltage to the pump allowing more flow to cut down on a drop in rail pressure. I would say to run a progressive controller to keep the "hit" down on the motor and fuel system if worried.

CPRsm

Never seen a kit without a lean spike unless it was fixed w soleniod placement. Nitrous moves faster than fuel because of the difference in pressure. You can make the nitrous line longer to help, but it will also soften the hit. Not always a bad thing.

Last edited:

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
I wouldn't worry to much as the pumps are pretty big in these cars, unless you are trying to run a big shot (100+). Even then a bap would help to keep increased voltage to the pump allowing more flow to cut down on a drop in rail pressure. I would say to run a progressive controller to keep the "hit" down on the motor and fuel system if worried.

Well, I want to run 100-150. I am really trying to keep this simple. When it comes down to car mods, electrical mods are the absolute bottom of my skill set. I would just run it as is, but I do not want to run the risk of harming the motor.

Never seen a kit without a lean spike unless it was fixed w soleniod placement. Nitrous moves faster than fuel because of the difference in pressure. You can make the nitrous line longer to help, but it will also soften the hit. Not always a bad thing.

Ok, so you move the nitrous solenoid to give the fuel time to catch up?

Mike

CPRsm

Yup. Pretty bad on carbs w only 5-7 psi of fuel pressure on the fuel soleniod. Up to 2 full points. My customer has been running one for a while now without and problems. I didnt dyno it do idk what it looked like.

01bluesnake

Established Member
Well, I want to run 100-150. I am really trying to keep this simple. When it comes down to car mods, electrical mods are the absolute bottom of my skill set. I would just run it as is, but I do not want to run the risk of harming the motor.
Mike

Some of the Progressive controllers are actually very easy to hook up. I've had to wire up some crazy nitrous system's with multiple safety's, controllers, warmers, openers, stand alone fuse/relay centers, that can be a pita lol. Check out nitrousoutlet.com, lots of good stuff.

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
never heard it was an issue with a 100-150 shot call the manufacturer

Well, the issue is my tuner feels it is not safe. If Shaun feels it is a risk, he may not tune the car for nitrous. If that is the case, I can't run it.

Some of the Progressive controllers are actually very easy to hook up. I've had to wire up some crazy nitrous system's with multiple safety's, controllers, warmers, openers, stand alone fuse/relay centers, that can be a pita lol. Check out nitrousoutlet.com, lots of good stuff.

I will. Also, this is local and affordable. Adding complication adds expense. But, so does the BAP.

Mike

cbrtrx

Established Member
I have a wet kit with a proper nitrous tune. I have a stock fuel system and no lean spike at all.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
why not run the jms dry kit? when i talked to shaun about nitrous a while back the only kit he said to even look at was the jms kit b/c it kinda ramps up and wont get a lean spike. be cool to come up with a delay module for a nitrous kit. let the fuel come on and like x amout of time late activate the nitrous.

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
why not run the jms dry kit? when i talked to shaun about nitrous a while back the only kit he said to even look at was the jms kit b/c it kinda ramps up and wont get a lean spike. be cool to come up with a delay module for a nitrous kit. let the fuel come on and like x amout of time late activate the nitrous.

We spoke about it last night and he is not as enthusiastic about it as he used to be.

Mike

BPatterson

Established Member
BBR seems to be having pretty good luck with their nitrous tunes and basix NX wet plate kits. May wanna talk to Steve there and see what he has to say about this issue.

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
BBR seems to be having pretty good luck with their nitrous tunes and basix NX wet plate kits. May wanna talk to Steve there and see what he has to say about this issue.

I am faithful to Shaun as he has done a great job with all of my tuning needs.

Mike

BPatterson

Established Member
I am faithful to Shaun as he has done a great job with all of my tuning needs.

Mike

Lol I didn't mean talk to him about running one of their tunes, but to see if they're experiencing a lean spike on the cars they tune with wet kits, and what they're doing to compensate for it.

ebrow21

Established Member
I've run off the rail and with a stand alone (SAFE system) on my 3v and off the rail on my 12 Gt.

BAP isn't going make a lean spike disappear if it's drawn from the rail, it just helps the pump recover faster. The lean spike on my 5.0 is limited to the driver's bank, and very brief. That is on a 75 shot, however. On my 3v, it was bad enough to burn plugs, hence the purchase/install of the stand alone.

I'm relatively sure you can eliminate the vast majority the spike if you run a plate kit like NX's design, which mounts the solenoids to the plate; coupled with a stand alone. On my 3v it was very minimal, even with 18in of line between the solenoids and the plate.

BTW.....All (NX Plate kit, Safe system, and battery relocation kit) of which I would be willing to sell, in Baton Rouge......I bought a whipple a week ago.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread