Went to the Dragstrip Last Night

03DOHC

Established Member
HAHA! You could hear everyone go "ooohh" when the vette lost! Great stuff!

Got-Cobra?

Established Member
ZO6_2002:

Two Bad A@@ cars, you are a lucky man!

Can you post your times? The computer I am at sucks!

Z06_2002

www.HighSpeedDriving.com
Established Member
Thanks you guys! With a DA of about 4500 and no track prep, the track is very slippery, I also run on the stock tires with pressure around 23 lbs. The imports drag a lot of water on the track but it is all fun. For comparison a GTS Viper was running around 13.8 and the Z06 was running 13.7 at 109. Lightnings slightly modded around 14.5, A couple slightly modded SS Camaros around 14.00 and my Cobra pretty consistantly at around 13.3 to 13.4 at 109 there was also around a 15-20 mph headwind last night I don't know how much effect if any that will cause. Oh and the 2003 Cobra (White One) no mods less than 500 on the odo was running 14.4 at around 104. The mods I have done to my car make it easy to catch up for a bad launch and in the mid-range it pulls like a scaulded cat. I really think my modded Cobra against my Modded Z is a real toss up and it would be all driver that would determine the outcome.

silvercoffin

Established Member
wow

Thats interesting to hear. How would you compare your Z06 to the 03 CObra though?

How do they feel different when you drive them? Does the Z06 feel faster? It has more power throughout the RPMs doesnt it? You dont have to wait for the SC to kick in..

How about handling?

Z06_2002

www.HighSpeedDriving.com
Established Member
Re: wow

Originally posted by silvercoffin
Thats interesting to hear. How would you compare your Z06 to the 03 CObra though?

How do they feel different when you drive them? Does the Z06 feel faster? It has more power throughout the RPMs doesnt it? You dont have to wait for the SC to kick in..

How about handling?

I will gladly answer these questions, please remember they are in MY opinion and may not be perceived well on a SVT board however. :burn:

Straight line the Cobra feels faster but I would say they are very close. The Cobra handles very well, but the 500 lb difference is very noticeable in the braking and hard corners. The Z with the very close front to rear weight ratio and lower ride height would be hard to beat for extended periods of time, don't get me wrong though the Cobra is not going to just plow off some track either.

I think the Cobra is as fast or faster till 70, the Z will surely win the pull after that. Very subjective opinions to say the least.

I would never have bought the Cobra if I didn't believe it was a true sports car. The Cobra is an excellent value put together real nice and it is a real blast to hunt down Chevy's :)

Next time I will take my Z to the track and have my boy tape the outcome of that for us. Maybe I can find a new Cobra to play with.
I will NEVER underestimate any Cobra whether on the street or strip.

:beer:

silvercoffin

Established Member
oh yeah

oops sorry i forgot how hot headed even I can be at a person critiquing a 03 vs z06 hahaha

Its interesting to hear it from someone who really owns and likes both cars though. I wish I could afford both!

I would be interested in hearing what you think about the over all quality and ride comfort.

Email me if you have the time. [email protected]

Ive heard some people claim tthat the vette is a harsh ride and that things rattle around etc, but I know someone from the gym that has never had a problem with his 99 vette aside from a fracture in the wheel that kept making the tire go flat and took 6 dealer trips to finally figure out.

kino

Established Member
Nice link. Hey is that your bike?
Silly quesiton, how do you like your dynomax exhaust?

david smilovic

Established Member
Stock against stock the Z06 hands down.Comfort,room handling etc... goes to Z06.My Z06 has had several motors as my new Cobra is on #3 ATI 25-30 Lb. boost to be completed by mid Nov.I will also add some juice in optimum rpm ranges to be determined by Sean (SHM) and I.
My latest Z06 is a twin turbo 427 C5R 1000 rrwhp at 22 lbs. boost(actually 18) and 1140 lbs. Tqe. at the wheels.Its so fast its stupid,but the suspension I designed containing many T-1 parts,Koni's,HRE's,Big tires,neoprene bushings and wide rubber Pilot sports etc....Its fast at 1bar at 65 mph in 4th gear stock 3:42's floor it and its a 65 mph holeshot AMAZING with slicks hi 8's and its set up for twisties not 1/4 mile.With auto,3500 rpm stall and stock gears at 20-24 lbs. boost low 8's.
Best official time 13.8 at 140+ starting in 2nd and short shift 3rd no hook up 335/30/18 pilots and going into 5th where 60%+ of my trap speed comes.
When I race lt wt. turbo cars that weigh 2k lbs. and 700 rrwhp from a 50 mph start I start in 3rd and feather the gas and hook up at 3500 in 4th and go to about 180 and yes I take cash only!!!! But both cars stock owning a stable of fine machinery I would take the Vette ,from a value stand point my 5.2 stroker will kill all the super charged Z06's due to traction and its diet of SHM carbon fibre hood and trunk as well as Seans 14 lb. Magnesium wheels and my other tricks I will shed 425 Lbs. and beat most on the street also installed 4:10's big jump!!!! and I am running 0 boost because the motor and specially the blower cams bleed out my 1st 10-12 lbs,boost so the Roots puts out 1-2 lbs at 5500+ rpm and is belching and farting and still kicks out a choppy 440 rrwhp Boostless,with the custom design ATI and intercooler HUGE on 92 octane I project 650-700 at the wheels and with 104(flip switch) another 60+ ponnies and if I juice it for boost lag reduction and a cold dense charge could hit the 800 rrwhp area with a 400+ lb. diet.
I will keep you posted on stage 3 I consider 440+ a failure with these mild blower cams the lope feels like a 700 lift on the lope but are no where near that.Later,Dave S.

Z06_2002

www.HighSpeedDriving.com
Established Member
Originally posted by kino
Nice link. Hey is that your bike?
Silly quesiton, how do you like your dynomax exhaust?

Kino,

Thanks, yes that is my bike. Had it custom built then never rode it :) 300 miles in 3 years mostly the guys that pick it up to clean it and bring it back put the miles on it.

The DynoMax seems to really let the exhaust flow without an unreasonable tone level, at least compared to my Borla's on my Z, which I truly love the obnoxious sound :) The fit is good and a very easy install.

:beer:

Black Cobra

Established Member
Re: Re: Went to the Dragstrip Last Night

Originally posted by my03svtcobra
link not working ???:shrug:

The link is good. If you're talking about the movie not playing, it could be your browser. If the movie is not playing for you, try this link. Movie Link

robiferretti

Established Member
My latest Z06 is a twin turbo 427 C5R 1000 rrwhp at 22 lbs. boost(actually 18) and 1140 lbs. Tqe. at the wheels.Its so fast its stupid,but the suspension I designed containing many T-1 parts,Koni's,HRE's,Big tires,neoprene bushings and wide rubber Pilot sports etc....Its fast at 1bar at 65 mph in 4th gear stock 3:42's floor it and its a 65 mph holeshot AMAZING with slicks hi 8's and its set up for twisties not 1/4 mile.With auto,3500 rpm stall and stock gears at 20-24 lbs. boost low 8's.
....and hook up at 3500 in 4th and go to about 180 and yes I take cash only!!!!

:read: Not that i like calling BS, but...

1. z06's do not come in automatic, so there is no need for a 3500 stall...
2.your push a car to 180 that only has teh gearing to do 174...(i've tried)....
3. I'm not a turbo expert but isn't the torque usually considerably less the the rwhp? as is such with supra's? i under stand the bigger motor thing, but the 427 istelf puts down around 530 rwhp and 520 lb ft tq...
4.your also running high boost and said nothing of your compression ratio, what are you running to run that high boost in a vette? you made no mention of building the bottom end???

Not that i am calling BS, i would just like some clarification, any videos? any pictures of this beast?
A link to the tuners website so we can check out their other work too would be cool, thanks...look foward to hearing from you:beer:

david smilovic

Established Member
The motor is a C5R and has a CR: of 8.2:1 without any Vette parts except for stock T-body(polished)As far as rhe auto goes we at Xtreme M.S. have a very close relationship with LPE and in addition to my tweaks hybrid Turbos good for 25 Lbs.+ of boost and will put the CFM of air as if it was a larger turbo but without lag problems.I also have 1 massive intercooler as opposed to 2 smaller units and they were prvided to me for R&D for John.So at
@2 BAR29.4 lbs of boost I get the airflow of 2.25 BAR may not sound huge but SOTP and Dyno #'s bear it out.
Owning a Vette shop I know there is no auto option its just a kit with a very strong Version of the current Trans. and a kit including
bellhousing/Tqe.tube(drive shaft) heavy duty 1/2 Shafts/a beefed up carrier for the 3:42"s which he wanted to go 245+ mph.This car is tuned very aggresively and the speed governors,rev ltrs,etc.(Actually at 7800 rpm there is a rev ltr but I shift at 6900 so its not an issue).. are all disingaged and runs a constant 40 degree timing advance so at more than 11 lbs I raise my octane to 97 at 1BAR+
I use 100 octane,at 1 Bar to 20 lbs.up to 104 and at 2 bar its 109 which still may be a little overkill.The only limiting factor for top speed is aerodynamics and the FRC body style is not as efficient as the coupe.I run MN-6 tranny gearing in the mn-12 case and 1st-4th its all stock MN12 for tqe multiplication,however 5 and 6 are geared numercally lower than even the mn6 and you may not believe this as well but at speed over 200 mph the car pulls in 6th with tiny trans gears.I was eluctant to change out my 3:42's to 2:73's There initial wish but the 3:15's made me rethink it.The carrier case in the 2:73 is so weak that when we custom build a 3:90 or 4:10 we wont take back anything below 3:15's in core exchanges.
2 1/2 years ago the same car in cpe. form and 2:73's was clocked at 228 mph top speed and if you contact LPE they will send you a catalog and a copy of the R&T and C&D write ups.Since then John has been on the cusp of 245-250 mph,I have been radar clocked on a 3.5 mile asphalt runway and my personal best was 232 all out boost prior to hybrids/bal& blue printed larger injectors,A new Synthtic I use front to rear,ignition tweaks and I dont mean an Accel Coil,A very large intercooler LPE made for me and I made a nitrous kit fit dump C02 along the charge cooler it decrease 115 Degree days to 40 degree winter mornings and it can be used manually or with window switch etc.
The reason LPE likes to use my car is because if ther sending a kit out for testing I'm not gonna take man hours to remove and return.The main factor is for now until Sean (SHM) and I complete the 5.2 stroker actually just tuning and testing some small gas (laughing) charges to fill in a bit of the lag the new ATI will have till about 3700 rpm and being this blower is custom nothing like ATI has ever done before but between Hyland and Xtreme we have more than a bit of clout and there eating all the r&d work because Sean and I intend to sell various stages of the GT platform from base500 rrwhp to the lightweight about 400 lbs. lighter and the super lightweight power to be announced after we speak with Ford.POLITICS Saleen sells alot more product than Sean but thats a long book of its own,however the stage 3 model name to soon be announced will be a 650+ rrwhp with 1.05G"s of lateral accelaration and slalom #'s that will embaress the competition.Dont be surprised if stage 2 stomps a 500-520 Blown 6-7 Lbs. boost Z06 and out brakes it,out runs it 0-150-0 and if stage 3 you would have to spend 500,000.00 for a factory exotic and most will be real close and all cars come with full gaurantees as far as I know.Now that I'm getting more involved in understanding his biz BLOWN Z06's will be a loosing proposition VS. the SHM roadsters I mean were starting the GLORY DAYS over again were a 5.2 stroker will put out its full potential and these motors due to weight and diplacemen need that extra 600 cc's and once lightened they will scream.HECK just SHM'S aluminum block casting which he is tooling up to make 25 long and short blocks on the shelf along with in house cnc'd SHM heads and cams
which when your usin forced air you DONT want a radical cam mid lift but the exhaust profile higher lift by a bit but much longer exhaust overlap and lots of DURATION in those sticks.
We knew phase1 had a 1 in 20 chance of drawing boost but its cam/boost leakdown so with the 2.80" pulley we were out of blower 12Lbs. boost lost to cams and 2 usable Lbs. left over they kick in around 5500 rpm.Once the ATI is on with the mild but effective CR this thing should fly.
But getting back to the original issue the top speed and by the way when those 228 mph runs were recoded it was a nuke proof bottom end some of the best flowing if not the best I prefer Ka-Tech a bit more Cam/Head setup for a Turbo car made and to this day with on going testing its still the original cam and the heads flow 40 more CFM mine go further than that and if I was a true drag racer I would install a solid lifter set up.The reason for the auto is he has gotten a 9.125 out of a TT setup and that had an auto and they hook up many times better than my manual no one can shift like this 8500.00 box and I actually think the stall was 2800 not 3500.The big big kicker on these tt cars is mine and I had and loved 1 the tt e 346 C.I. engine lowered to 8.5:1 was the platform not the 7 litre C5R race motor with 70K in parts in it.Being that mine already had the plumbing set up and the 427 used the same twin fuel pumps as the 5.7 all I did was build the motor ship it to Indiana and flew there to retrieve it about 2 weeks later this is #1 with 6 speed and #2 all round.John and Graham goy caught up in a monster love affair and it took in excess of 60 hours wort of tunning and if I where allowed to mention yhe price,because we do alot of warranty work for LPE and people who have run out of warranty or own there own shop so to get an even better price I declined the warrantty and they installed the HKS evo unit and all the plumbing for.............e.(this is a kit for infinate adjustability on the car of the turbo boost)
When my Z06 was bone stock I hit the low 170's in it and when I added the FLP header system/blackwing with Volant power duct/B&M shifter /prt exhaust/ and the slp rocker arm kit I was close to a 200 mph car,at least 190.
Any how #'s are factual I believe John builds his cars as we at Xtreme do very well assembled and high efficieny TUNING we have 1 of the top 5 tuners in NO.( but the #1 goal at Xtreme isnt that final 20 rrwhp its many years of trouble free existance,just change the oil as sceduled and replace the tr6 plugs at 8-10k miles and clean the K&N and reoil CORRECTLY!!!!) America I just wish we had Ford capability for that we rely mostly on Super Chips and as good as we are with GM we wont do mail order it doesnt make a poop of a differance if its programed via a chip Ford/Or via a pcm tune with a wide band Dyno pull attached to it we get about 91% efficiency and at 500 a pop we throw away 15-25 mail order ones every 2-4 weeks do the math it hurts and normally its a 5-8 hour process if we can get accaess to a track 2 techs go out with a laptop and our GM software and do a 101% tune not 91%.On a blown car specially the ATI if you ffind a tuner close to home with a wide band option and my choice is the Dyno-Jet 240 series I believe ours is the latest we updated 7 mos ago to an above ground sometimes its real handy to walk under car when testing 5 cat backs in the same day.
If you ever make it to AZ.call the shop 480-517-4969 xmotorsports.com bring a change of under wear and bring some dramimine or benadryl and I can always get hold of a local area or we can do some 2 am hi-way runs and I would think if I went 50- a buriied speedo with more power coming youll lower the BS flag.
I meen this from my heart you called me out and questioned what I wrote in a fair diplomatic manner if not I wouldnt have responded.Have a GREAT week and if we dont meet at Vette function there always the Cobra route and that should be pretty bad assed as well.Thanks,Dave S.

david smilovic

Established Member
The motor is a C5R and has a CR: of 8.2:1 without any Vette parts except for stock T-body(polished)As far as rhe auto goes we at Xtreme M.S. have a very close relationship with LPE and in addition to my tweaks hybrid Turbos good for 25 Lbs.+ of boost and will put the CFM of air as if it was a larger turbo but without lag problems.I also have 1 massive intercooler as opposed to 2 smaller units and they were prvided to me for R&D for John.So at
@2 BAR29.4 lbs of boost I get the airflow of 2.25 BAR may not sound huge but SOTP and Dyno #'s bear it out.
Owning a Vette shop I know there is no auto option its just a kit with a very strong Version of the current Trans. and a kit including
bellhousing/Tqe.tube(drive shaft) heavy duty 1/2 Shafts/a beefed up carrier for the 3:42"s which he wanted to go 245+ mph.This car is tuned very aggresively and the speed governors,rev ltrs,etc.(Actually at 7800 rpm there is a rev ltr but I shift at 6900 so its not an issue).. are all disingaged and runs a constant 40 degree timing advance so at more than 11 lbs I raise my octane to 97 at 1BAR+
I use 100 octane,at 1 Bar to 20 lbs.up to 104 and at 2 bar its 109 which still may be a little overkill.The only limiting factor for top speed is aerodynamics and the FRC body style is not as efficient as the coupe.I run MN-6 tranny gearing in the mn-12 case and 1st-4th its all stock MN12 for tqe multiplication,however 5 and 6 are geared numercally lower than even the mn6 and you may not believe this as well but at speed over 200 mph the car pulls in 6th with tiny trans gears.I was eluctant to change out my 3:42's to 2:73's There initial wish but the 3:15's made me rethink it.The carrier case in the 2:73 is so weak that when we custom build a 3:90 or 4:10 we wont take back anything below 3:15's in core exchanges.
2 1/2 years ago the same car in cpe. form and 2:73's was clocked at 228 mph top speed and if you contact LPE they will send you a catalog and a copy of the R&T and C&D write ups.Since then John has been on the cusp of 245-250 mph,I have been radar clocked on a 3.5 mile asphalt runway and my personal best was 232 all out boost prior to hybrids/bal& blue printed larger injectors,A new Synthtic I use front to rear,ignition tweaks and I dont mean an Accel Coil,A very large intercooler LPE made for me and I made a nitrous kit fit dump C02 along the charge cooler it decrease 115 Degree days to 40 degree winter mornings and it can be used manually or with window switch etc.
The reason LPE likes to use my car is because if ther sending a kit out for testing I'm not gonna take man hours to remove and return.The main factor is for now until Sean (SHM) and I complete the 5.2 stroker actually just tuning and testing some small gas (laughing) charges to fill in a bit of the lag the new ATI will have till about 3700 rpm and being this blower is custom nothing like ATI has ever done before but between Hyland and Xtreme we have more than a bit of clout and there eating all the r&d work because Sean and I intend to sell various stages of the GT platform from base500 rrwhp to the lightweight about 400 lbs. lighter and the super lightweight power to be announced after we speak with Ford.POLITICS Saleen sells alot more product than Sean but thats a long book of its own,however the stage 3 model name to soon be announced will be a 650+ rrwhp with 1.05G"s of lateral accelaration and slalom #'s that will embaress the competition.Dont be surprised if stage 2 stomps a 500-520 Blown 6-7 Lbs. boost Z06 and out brakes it,out runs it 0-150-0 and if stage 3 you would have to spend 500,000.00 for a factory exotic and most will be real close and all cars come with full gaurantees as far as I know.Now that I'm getting more involved in understanding his biz BLOWN Z06's will be a loosing proposition VS. the SHM roadsters I mean were starting the GLORY DAYS over again were a 5.2 stroker will put out its full potential and these motors due to weight and diplacemen need that extra 600 cc's and once lightened they will scream.HECK just SHM'S aluminum block casting which he is tooling up to make 25 long and short blocks on the shelf along with in house cnc'd SHM heads and cams
which when your usin forced air you DONT want a radical cam mid lift but the exhaust profile higher lift by a bit but much longer exhaust overlap and lots of DURATION in those sticks.
We knew phase1 had a 1 in 20 chance of drawing boost but its cam/boost leakdown so with the 2.80" pulley we were out of blower 12Lbs. boost lost to cams and 2 usable Lbs. left over they kick in around 5500 rpm.Once the ATI is on with the mild but effective CR this thing should fly.
But getting back to the original issue the top speed and by the way when those 228 mph runs were recoded it was a nuke proof bottom end some of the best flowing if not the best I prefer Ka-Tech a bit more Cam/Head setup for a Turbo car made and to this day with on going testing its still the original cam and the heads flow 40 more CFM mine go further than that and if I was a true drag racer I would install a solid lifter set up.The reason for the auto is he has gotten a 9.125 out of a TT setup and that had an auto and they hook up many times better than my manual no one can shift like this 8500.00 box and I actually think the stall was 2800 not 3500.The big big kicker on these tt cars is mine and I had and loved 1 the tt e 346 C.I. engine lowered to 8.5:1 was the platform not the 7 litre C5R race motor with 70K in parts in it.Being that mine already had the plumbing set up and the 427 used the same twin fuel pumps as the 5.7 all I did was build the motor ship it to Indiana and flew there to retrieve it about 2 weeks later this is #1 with 6 speed and #2 all round.John and Graham goy caught up in a monster love affair and it took in excess of 60 hours wort of tunning and if I where allowed to mention yhe price,because we do alot of warranty work for LPE and people who have run out of warranty or own there own shop so to get an even better price I declined the warrantty and they installed the HKS evo unit and all the plumbing for.............e.(this is a kit for infinate adjustability on the car of the turbo boost)
When my Z06 was bone stock I hit the low 170's in it and when I added the FLP header system/blackwing with Volant power duct/B&M shifter /prt exhaust/ and the slp rocker arm kit I was close to a 200 mph car,at least 190.
Any how #'s are factual I believe John builds his cars as we at Xtreme do very well assembled and high efficieny TUNING we have 1 of the top 5 tuners in NO.( but the #1 goal at Xtreme isnt that final 20 rrwhp its many years of trouble free existance,just change the oil as sceduled and replace the tr6 plugs at 8-10k miles and clean the K&N and reoil CORRECTLY!!!!) America I just wish we had Ford capability for that we rely mostly on Super Chips and as good as we are with GM we wont do mail order it doesnt make a poop of a differance if its programed via a chip Ford/Or via a pcm tune with a wide band Dyno pull attached to it we get about 91% efficiency and at 500 a pop we throw away 15-25 mail order ones every 2-4 weeks do the math it hurts and normally its a 5-8 hour process if we can get accaess to a track 2 techs go out with a laptop and our GM software and do a 101% tune not 91%.On a blown car specially the ATI if you ffind a tuner close to home with a wide band option and my choice is the Dyno-Jet 240 series I believe ours is the latest we updated 7 mos ago to an above ground sometimes its real handy to walk under car when testing 5 cat backs in the same day.
If you ever make it to AZ.call the shop 480-517-4969 xmotorsports.com bring a change of under wear and bring some dramimine or benadryl and I can always get hold of a local area or we can do some 2 am hi-way runs and I would think if I went 50- a buriied speedo with more power coming youll lower the BS flag.
I meen this from my heart you called me out and questioned what I wrote in a fair diplomatic manner if not I wouldnt have responded.Have a GREAT week and if we dont meet at Vette function there always the Cobra route and that should be pretty bad assed as well.Thanks,Dave S.
Johns basic logic was to advertise a low to mid 8 second car.Had I wanted an auto I would have bought the PorscheTT I have owned a few and the awd model is one of the few cars I MISS!!!
Now the tiptronic is quite the shifter and I havent tested the latest rendition which are said to be kick ASS.But that /Audi same system and the Ferrari are the only compromises I wouldnt care if the Vette laid down in the 6 second range I have drag cars in my trailer along with mounted extra slicks and lots of tools for lots of breakage,I dont want to turn my favorite car of all time into an automatic even if they paid me which.......I just love my stick and my cattless prt systemevery once in a while we'll dial in 40lbs. of boost I need to switch out my guuge I know its not boosting that hi but I add some 117 oct leaded race fuel and I have never felt that kind of Tqe and HP before its a true work of art!! Take her EZ
Dave S.I'm loud and cops know it dogs bark and howl at it children wet themselves when emmision come up and I can get the main cats on I probably have in the moded area thats street legal in the top 10-20 fastest cars in NO.America and I did 98% of the work and I damned proud.American car/American parts 100%/American labor market and she REALLY IS A ROCKET.Dave

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Dave,

I don't want to seem negative, and I am in no way trying to start any wars (flame or otherwise). Even though I LOVE the content of your posts, you have a "stream of consciousness" writing style (meaning lack of punctuation or capitalization) that actually gives me a headache. It also looks pretty unprofessional. Sorry Dave, I love your info, but can you please try to write a little more normally?

Users who are viewing this thread