Went AUTO :)

Evil homer

Established Member
well I went auto with my cobra :) I put a 4r70w in it and got it tuned yesterday at R.E.T. I did not do a e85 tune just pump gas, 441 tq and 429 hp I did loose quite a bit but man does my car feel like a monster.
Any ideas what the car should run at the 1/8 or 1/4??
with a t56 my best times at the
1/8 was 7.2 at 98mph. :beer:

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Sweet. How are you controlling the transmission? Manual valve body or stand alone controller?
I put a 4r70w in a 302 swapped Ford Ranger I did years ago and used a Baumann controller. Was kind of a pain initially to get all the shift points programmed in and stuff but once done it worked well.

Evo2SVT

Established Member
I'd say 6.60 in the 1/8. Our cars are similar in HP and both auto

Evil homer

Established Member
Manual vBody I was reading up on the Baumann controller that might be my next modd for it.
I guess Im saying it feels the same even with the lost of hp and tq.

It also has a 3300 stall, cant wait to leave on the trans brake at the track. :)

Last edited:

TRQJUNKIE

Justa Slobra
Established Member
The converter eats the power on the dyno. It just feels faster cause its getting the power to the ground better

Gotcha, I understand why the turbo guys switch to keep the power rolling over between the gears and avoid lag but im curious what made you want to switch to an auto OP?

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Should run 6's imo and close to 10's or the upper 10's.

Welcome to the auto club.

Last edited:

Evil homer

Established Member
A great deal to get a complete built 4r70w showed up so just jump on it, and driving it around the street in traffic is awesome, might be the best mod to date.

Thanks POSI, 10.99 and I will smile from ear to ear. :D

Evil homer

Established Member
Yah
Stegi II,2.76,4lb lower,Accufab TB/Inlet, Metco idlers,
Ice Box in trunk,60lb injectors,diablo mafia,Dual fpdm,Twin GTpumps, KB BAP, Sra,Superior 31 spline axels, Eaton posi,upr upper/lower,,bassani catback,Bassani hi flow x-pipe

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Damn, I might have to switch to an auto!

Evo2SVT

Established Member
Yah
Stegi II,2.76,4lb lower,Accufab TB/Inlet, Metco idlers,
Ice Box in trunk,60lb injectors,diablo mafia,Dual fpdm,Twin GTpumps, KB BAP, Sra,Superior 31 spline axels, Eaton posi,upr upper/lower,,bassani catback,Bassani hi flow x-pipe

You should run well into the 10's with that set up :rockon:. I went 10.97 with a C4 and a stock Eaton 2.93 upper only

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
You should run well into the 10's with that set up :rockon:. I went 10.97 with a C4 and a stock Eaton 2.93 upper only

Compare the D/A on your 10.97 time slip and compare it to the 3,000ft or so D/A that California typically always has. Or maybe even 5,000ft. for California.

I dropped 2 tenths when I switched to an Auto from my T56 in the 1/4 mile. He ran a 7.2….

DA Calculator - Density Altitude Calculator - DragTimes.com

Evo2SVT

Established Member
Compare the D/A on your 10.97 time slip and compare it to the 3,000ft or so D/A that California typically always has. Or maybe even 5,000ft. for California.

I dropped 2 tenths when I switched to an Auto from my T56 in the 1/4 mile. He ran a 7.2….

DA Calculator - Density Altitude Calculator - DragTimes.com

I just checked 2 tracks (California and Somoa) and compared to Atco on the same date and as close to 1PM. They all came up around a .1 difference. Not everyone is as good as some others with a stick. If you only gained .2 by going auto then you are one of the few that can drive a stick really really good. Also thanks for that link

Last edited:

MalcolmV8

Established Member
What did you do with the pedals? Just pull clutch pedal out and leave stock brake and gas or did you swap pedals from an factory auto mustang for the proper look?

How much trouble was it fitting the 4r70w? Custom transmission crossmember I take it? and a custom driveshaft?

Evil homer

Established Member
What did you do with the pedals? Just pull clutch pedal out and leave stock brake and gas or did you swap pedals from an factory auto mustang for the proper look?

How much trouble was it fitting the 4r70w? Custom transmission crossmember I take it? and a custom driveshaft?

Im going to take the clutch pedal off, right now its just zipped tied down to the floor. I might look into a stock auto mustang pedals for proper look.

Almost no trouble tell at all, the 4r70w bolt right up to it the only pain in the but was the 4 bolts for the converter. Crossmember is the same from the t56 just flipped it and it worked, and yea I got a custom driveshaft made I could of used a auto mach 1 drive shaft but was more then what I got one made for.:beer:

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Im going to take the clutch pedal off, right now its just zipped tied down to the floor. I might look into a stock auto mustang pedals for proper look.

Almost no trouble tell at all, the 4r70w bolt right up to it the only pain in the but was the 4 bolts for the converter. Crossmember is the same from the t56 just flipped it and it worked, and yea I got a custom driveshaft made I could of used a auto mach 1 drive shaft but was more then what I got one made for.:beer:

That's awesome. I like painless mods. Shifter lined up through the trans tunnel with no mods? What stall converter did you go with?

Users who are viewing this thread