Well shit... what to do?

bexamous

Established Member
So I don't know how this happened, but now where the swaybar attaches is bent like crazy. That piece is just welded to axle, not sure how to replace it, or just bend it back?

2012-05-13%2014.08.37.jpg

Last edited:

scott_0

Established Member
jeez man that had to have been a hard hit, the type of hit you would feel. not trying to be funny, but do you have a wife/girl friend that drives the car?

bexamous

Established Member
Pretty sure I know what happened. I went out riding bike (too nice a day to waste it) and was thinking about this.... just remembered about 6-8 weeks ago there was a noise from rear suspension. Tracked it down to the bottom bolt holding shock was a little loose... anyways to be safe we looked up all the correct torque numbers and double checked everything. Either the number we looked up for those sway bar brackets was wrong or we copied it wrong.

I recall starting to tighten the now missing bolt and then stopped realizing the number we had must be wrong as it was just way too much. Pretty sure I way over tightened that bolt. I didn't do any of the other sway bar bracket bolts because I knew it was wrong, only that one I had started to.

I just looked now and that bolt is not totally gone, the head is still there lol. The rest of the bolt and nut are gone. Guessing I started breaking head off and didn't notice.

Odd I didn't hear anything till last night though leaving a restaurant driveway. Sounded kinda like I bottomed out but not really, it was enough that I thought I should take a look when I got home. Then when I did get home and was pulling in driveway more noise and knew something wasn't right.

Anyways the swaybar is fine, the bracket is fine, its just that tab the bracket bolts to is bent. If I can get it bent back think its safe to keep using? Even if I go to dealer what are they going to do? Are there any aftermarket rear swaybars that mount differently?

GeorgeInNePa

Established Member
Also FWIW nothing is wrong with the swaybar or anything just the tab on end, it should be straight:
2012-05-13%2014.08.37-2.jpg

This.

Somehow, the upper bolt broke or came out. Then the sway bar flexed down (sway bars do that) and it bent the flange that the lower portion of the sway bar bracket bolt to.

Get a new bolt, bend the flange back up, and bolt it back together.

GeorgeInNePa

Established Member
Pretty sure I know what happened. I went out riding bike (too nice a day to waste it) and was thinking about this.... just remembered about 6-8 weeks ago there was a noise from rear suspension. Tracked it down to the bottom bolt holding shock was a little loose... anyways to be safe we looked up all the correct torque numbers and double checked everything. Either the number we looked up for those sway bar brackets was wrong or we copied it wrong.

I recall starting to tighten the now missing bolt and then stopped realizing the number we had must be wrong as it was just way too much. Pretty sure I way over tightened that bolt. I didn't do any of the other sway bar bracket bolts because I knew it was wrong, only that one I had started to.

I just looked now and that bolt is not totally gone, the head is still there lol. The rest of the bolt and nut are gone. Guessing I started breaking head off and didn't notice.

Odd I didn't hear anything till last night though leaving a restaurant driveway. Sounded kinda like I bottomed out but not really, it was enough that I thought I should take a look when I got home. Then when I did get home and was pulling in driveway more noise and knew something wasn't right.

Anyways the swaybar is fine, the bracket is fine, its just that tab the bracket bolts to is bent. If I can get it bent back think its safe to keep using? Even if I go to dealer what are they going to do? Are there any aftermarket rear swaybars that mount differently?
Yes. They will do the same thing I recommended in the post above.

Unless they can convince you to spring for a complete new housing... ;)

The Whiteline sway bar bolts up differently.

Whiteline

BFR65Z-3.jpg

lawnmower22

Established Member
You may want to consider welding a back plate on that after you bend it straight. It wouldn't need to be fancy just copy the shape of the sway bar mount and drill the hole for the bolt to go through. That would make sure it didn't bend again from being weakend by the original bend.

Good luck!

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member
Bend it back and bolt it up. Nothing special.

I highly doubt it was because of over tightening. I never torque those. I just pull em up tight as I can with my ratchet or impact (whatever is handy) and never had an issue. I guarandamntee mine are always over tightened when compared to factory specs.

Users who are viewing this thread