Well, recommendations for longblock builders?

azc0bra

Established Member
I'd pull the rotors and make sure the rest are good before reusing them, but if that is the only "damage" I would reuse those no problem.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
So, this happened this morning on the way to cars and coffee:
View attachment 1780541View attachment 1780542View attachment 1780543

I know the rods really wanted to see the outside world and so they made themselves some windows. I guess free inspection ports for the shortblock?

I do not know the state of the heads, but I'm just going to assume the worst.

Time for forged shortblock, cnc heads and some cams with longtubes. Recommendations?

Lucky you, the iron block versions are MUCH cheaper than the AL.

Shame... the 2010's are really one of my favorite 500's because of the iron block motor and GREAT looks of the modern bodywork.

Too bad the rods are all the same and complete trash.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Build it yourself... not hard at all and this way you know exactly what is in the motor, how it happened and full confidence nothing was missed.

Plus you'll save a shit ton of money.

einehund

Established Member
I think I found a solution to the problem...

My thoughts are:
1) It sounds like it may have cams, which is a bonus, but I'm not sure.
1a) It has LT's already and changing out the gasket to fix the possible exhaust leak would be easy on the engine already out of a car!
2) I don't need the trans, blower or valve covers so I think I could sell those to recoup some money
3) I could drive up there and pick it up in my truck, which would save on shipping.
4) looking at the list of mods plus what I can see, I think the car was taken care of and I think it is a fair price.
5) it came out of a 2010, so there should be no issues at all with any mounting of anything.

Anyone have any insight into how I could find out more about this engine and any thoughts on this VS probably double the cost for new everything.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member

My thoughts are:
1a) It has LT's already and changing out the gasket to fix the possible exhaust leak would be easy on the engine already out of a car!
2) I don't need the trans, blower or valve covers so I think I could sell those to recoup some money
3) I could drive up there and pick it up in my truck, which would save on shipping.
4) looking at the list of mods plus what I can see, I think the car was taken care of and I think it is a fair price.
5) it came out of a 2010, so there should be no issues at all with any mounting of anything.

Anyone have any insight into how I could find out more about this engine and any thoughts on this VS probably double the cost for new everything.

Not trying to stir the pot,

I was literally talking to @2011 gtcs last weekend and I was thinking of just having a complete longblock built for my car. Than advertise my 6,000 mile engine still in the car, so a buyer would feel 100% confident on what they were buying.

Was gonna ask $15,000, minus blower and headers. Now I see your Ebay find, I think they are priced high, or, I'm priced to low?

My point, trying to be smart, and getting a built motor for around a $12,000 investment after selling my stock long block.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member

My thoughts are:

Appears to be a trinity blower on that motor...

azc0bra

Established Member
I think you are taking a gamble on a used 40k motor with a trinity. Could it have been taken care of? Sure. But it also could have been driven hard for 40k miles with an aftermarket blower.

Let's say it all works out, great.. you save some money.

Let's say you do all that work, and that motor lasts you 1k miles before it grenades. Then you are back to square one. I wouldn't want to do the work twice and spend the money twice. If my motor went, I'd replace it with something from A) someone I know the history of the motor/vehicle or B) a new longblock (from a reputable builder).

I've been bit in the A$$ many times by going the cheap route 1st (or so I thought) and then having to do the work twice and spend twice the money.

einehund

Established Member
I think you are taking a gamble on a used 40k motor with a trinity. Could it have been taken care of? Sure. But it also could have been driven hard for 40k miles with an aftermarket blower.

Let's say it all works out, great.. you save some money.

Let's say you do all that work, and that motor lasts you 1k miles before it grenades. Then you are back to square one. I wouldn't want to do the work twice and spend the money twice. If my motor went, I'd replace it with something from A) someone I know the history of the motor/vehicle or B) a new longblock (from a reputable builder).

I've been bit in the A$$ many times by going the cheap route 1st (or so I thought) and then having to do the work twice and spend twice the money.
My wife said the same thing. She also asked if this is what I really wanted or if this is just a quick fix. I'll be saving my pennies for longer.

Zemedici

Established Member
My wife said the same thing. She also asked if this is what I really wanted or if this is just a quick fix. I'll be saving my pennies for longer.

Good call.

As stated, the money ends up even or even spending more going the cheap route.

Least with expensive youre braced for it and know it’ll be best of the best.

Not a fun situation, especially multiple times on the same car within a short timeframe. I’ve had customers sell the car afterwards due to loss of passion for it.

Badaz01

Established Member
Appears to be a trinity blower on that motor...
Dude for that kinda money you can have a rebuilt fully forged engine that you know is good and what went into it. I just went through the same thing a year and a half ago and I’m so glad I went the rebuild route. I would’ve had similar money in an engine swap but just get on Alex svt YouTube and you’ll see a prime example of an eBay engine gone wrong in his 03 cobra.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Dude for that kinda money you can have a rebuilt fully forged engine that you know is good and what went into it. I just went through the same thing a year and a half ago and I’m so glad I went the rebuild route. I would’ve had similar money in an engine swap but just get on Alex svt YouTube and you’ll see a prime example of an eBay engine gone wrong in his 03 cobra.

Dude, youre totally right

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member

Who's turning these out at $15,000? Please post link and info
Rebuilt, correct?

Badaz01

Established Member
Who's turning these out at $15,000? Please post link and info
Rebuilt, correct?
I was referring to bottom end with stock heads and even at the stock refresh level that added another 3k. So I had 13000 in my heads and bottom end. Of course that was two years ago and in an 01 cobra.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
AL motors are pricey boys...

Dont trash your bock if youre a 11-14 guy! Tear her down, replace rods at the very least because if she goes BOOM in a big way, you are screwed lol.

Big money

Badaz01

Established Member
Been a while don’t know if you
So, this happened this morning on the way to cars and coffee:
View attachment 1780541View attachment 1780542View attachment 1780543

I know the rods really wanted to see the outside world and so they made themselves some windows. I guess free inspection ports for the shortblock?

I do not know the state of the heads, but I'm just going to assume the worst.

Time for forged shortblock, cnc heads and some cams with longtubes. Recommendations?
been a while don’t know if you found an engine builder. If not you could try another place called P&R engine builders out of Greensburg Pa

Users who are viewing this thread