Well my time is up! Going back to civilian life

wjlane

Seduced by the Dark Side
Established Member
I did four years in the Army, got out, went back in a year later, and just retired two weeks ago at 22 years. I thought I wanted to get out and do my own thing but when I was out, I realized then how much I missed serving my country and the awesome comaraderie I had with my fellow soldiers. I went back home and even after four years of being away, nothing changed and all my friends and family were still doing the same thing or nothing at all. Boring. Sure there are bad days, but that comes with every job. I just turned 40 and will be collecting my first of many pension payments on Sept. 1st.

Last edited:

megameGT500

Suck it up and drive on!!
Established Member
Hate to see a fellow SM leave but you did your time and prob gained a lifetime of experience and friends. Congrats and Good Luck. BTW I got out after my initial four years in 1993. Stayed in the NG and used my GI Bill/College Fund to get my Bachelor's Degrree. Ended up going to OCS, got my commission and then returned to AD in 02. I have 22 years for pay and 14 for retirement.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Gotcha yea that's rough with the fambam, that's the reason why I'm in though lol. no way could I get a job and support my family the way the CG does.. But at the cost of getting u/w I understand. Luckily I didn't get u/w yet but I will on my billet that's for sure.. I'm an OS2 that needs sea time to make cheif.. My son is 2 now and will be 5 when I get u/w.. With the new 420's and having 3 crews it shouldn't be that bad..

Ironhand

Banned
I wish I would've stayed active duty. I think about all my brothers and I cant help but miss it. It was everything all at once but it was mostly unforgettable. I'm doing the NG now and I'm hoping for a second deployment.

1996slowbra

Established Member
Congrats! Hope civilian life treats you well!

Side note Where are you planning on going to school/what for?

(just realized this thread was like a week old, my bad)

Last edited:

BLKFOX

Established Member
I'm approaching my half way point in my 4 year Air force career. Trying to decide to stay in or not :) congrats on getting out and good luck in school

Not trying to change the subject, but you sir, have the most distracting signature I've ever seen!

OP, I hope being a civilian again is everything you could imagine!

OH3BLKSVT

Screwed by the twins
Established Member
Yea my father served in the Army for 22 years so i have always been on the go..im tired of moving around..i want to be stable (not moving around every 3-4 years) I want to be somewhere i can call home. I plan on going to UTI for automotive but time will tell. I want to eventually open up my own Mustang shop...everyone dreams right.

Tomorrow I start my drive from Mass to AZ..1 day and 19 hours all by myself yay me blahhh boring haha i just moved here from cali about a year ago and have had enough.
My fiance doesnt want to come out here and help me drive back cause "its too long of a drive" and she cant even sit still during a movie haha i hope to arrive by noon sunday! sorry if i jumped around im a horrible writer

OH3BLKSVT

Screwed by the twins
Established Member
Well you guys are right. I regret it 95%! I am currently trying to get back in! Civ life is Not as fun as I thought. Either going back into the CG or Army.

slow2002gt

Detective Kia
Established Member
Well you guys are right. I regret it 95%! I am currently trying to get back in! Civ life is Not as fun as I thought. Either going back into the CG or Army.

LOL well good luck on getting back in! I know I couldnt reenlist after my ninja punch but oh well :X

qtrain

FC2 Wrecking Crew
Established Member
Good luck, its hard leaving the military, I just hit my six year mark and still not sure if im getting out after this reelistment.

That's where I'm at. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna be done after this but at least I'm finally transferring of my boat. Who here has been to New Mexico?

Users who are viewing this thread