Well, I should have...

T.Bone

Established Member
...put a Billet Flow IRS Brace on the Cobra when we had our last mod party! :bash:

Went out to lunch today with a few people from work that wanted me to take the Cobra. Turned off the traction control and started to roll into it in first gear and all of a sudden they back end is shaking all over the place!!!

Got the car into a parking lot and looked at the rear end, big hole in the diff cover and a trail of rear end grease behind me. Called Doug to find out what I was going to need to fix it and to have him get a brace ready for me, and the next thing I know there he is in the parking lot about the time the flatbed got there to tow me home with parts in hand!!!

Not sure what the totall damage is yet, the IRS sure looks low so we are hoping it didn't break the front of the IRS housing. If so I will need to replace the whole housing.

Want to say a BIG thanks to Doug for assisting me with getting the Cobra to the house! We are lucky to have Billet Flow WHQ here in the area. :beer:

WhippleCharged Sonic

Screwed, Blued & Tattooed
Established Member
T-Bone said:
...put a Billet Flow IRS Brace on the Cobra when we had our last mod party! :bash:

Went out to lunch today with a few people from work that wanted me to take the Cobra. Turned off the traction control and started to roll into it in first gear and all of a sudden they back end is shaking all over the place!!!

Got the car into a parking lot and looked at the rear end, big hole in the diff cover and a trail of rear end grease behind me. Called Doug to find out what I was going to need to fix it and to have him get a brace ready for me, and the next thing I know there he is in the parking lot about the time the flatbed got there to tow me home with parts in hand!!!

Not sure what the totall damage is yet, the IRS sure looks low so we are hoping it didn't break the front of the IRS housing. If so I will need to replace the whole housing.

Want to say a BIG thanks to Doug for assisting me with getting the Cobra to the house! We are lucky to have Billet Flow WHQ here in the area. :beer:

Holy smokes man! Whatever you need...let me know.

vipergts281

Established Member
T-Bone said:
Called Doug to find out what I was going to need to fix it and to have him get a brace ready for me, and the next thing I know there he is in the parking lot about the time the flatbed got there to tow me home with parts in hand!!!
:rockon:

Good luck with everything. :beer:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That really sucks, but you seem to be on your way to a recovery and this time you'll do it right. Did you feel the rear end hopping badly just before this happened? I would assume so.

T.Bone

Established Member
I didn't feel anything different driving into work or even leaving the parking lot before it less loose, but we looked in the garage when I got it home and there was a very small wet spot on the ground. I think it started yesterday when I got on it and I finished it off today. Glad it was there only 5 miles from home, I was planning on going to the track next week!

I am going to tear into it this evening and see what all I am going to need to fix, but I will for sure be putting the brace on it this time. What is really bad is that I just helped install 2 braces on a couple of MCT members cars about a month ago, I should have done mine then. :(

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
Man that really stinks. Are you going to put in some gears while you've got it apart? If I'm around and you need help I'm up for whatever you need.

Are you hoping to have it back together before the track closes for the year? The low temps made me drop .2 off my ET with the exact same 60 ft. I know that would finally be enough for you get your 11.

Juiced-03

Established Member
Can you explain how the brace helps? If you had an internal failure, how would an external brace prevent the damage? I'm just curious as to what it does (may need to add it to my future order with Billetflow lol).

T.Bone

Established Member
03gobluecobra said:
Are you hoping to have it back together before the track closes for the year?

Looks like it was just the rear cover that broke so I should have it back together pretty quick, hope to have it on the road by Monday.

Juiced-03 said:
Can you explain how the brace helps? If you had an internal failure, how would an external brace prevent the damage?

The rear diff cover starts cracking under the stress of the torque that some of our cars make, it breaks the back of the cover where it bolts to car. So it is not really an internal failure, the failure is from the casting cracking under the load. Once it breaks there is nothing holding the rear diff in place and it just bounces around when you let out the clutch. Hope I got this right, if not someone please correct me.

Take a look at this thread, it will show you what it looks like and how it breaks.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142932&highlight=IRS+Brace

mosconiac

Established Member
Time and time again, Doung proves he is a real asset to the the Cobra community.

THANK YOU DOUG FOR SUPPORTING OUR HOBBY BY DEVELOPING THE HIGHEST QUALITY PARTS AVAILABLE!

Users who are viewing this thread