Well I had an engine failure in my 03

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
If you have not heard already I had an engine failure in my 03 on Tuesday. It appears to have been a ring failure in 7. It really was not unexpected and I am currently planning on really setting it up right now.

Cobra-R

Established Member
Sorry to hear the bad news.

Do you think it is a random failure or is it a result of tracking, mods, or something else?

Brian

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
broken ring land on the piston?

I have not broken it down yet, but that is what it looks like. The engine was running fine, but started blowing smoke. I pulled the plugs and 7 was full of oil. I have talked to several engine builders and the one I am probably going with Al Papitto in Vero Beach, Florida. He says with high boost it really is only time before the stock pistons go especially if you open track on bonsai the car. Between the skirt and how close the ring is to the top of the piston they just won't hold together.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Cobra-R said:
Sorry to hear the bad news.

Do you think it is a random failure or is it a result of tracking, mods, or something else?

Brian

I think it is a combination. I have tracked the car without modifying the cooling system like I should have and the last time actually had a coolant blow out the pressure cap on my last session. The fact I am running a KenneBell at 17#s making 600 rwhp 500 rwtq just adds to it. I really should have been running race gas at the track and modified the cooling system. My new set-up will be much more conservative on the street, but should make 600 rwhp and 600 rwtq. I would probably also run that tune at the track with race gas. My fun tune with race gas should easily exceed 700 rwhp and 700 rwtq.

Last edited:

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm sorry to hear about your engine problem. Keep us posted on the cause and rebuild.

P/S (off-topic) Did anyone see "HorsePower TV" last weekend. They were working on a F-body Camaro. It spun a crank bearing. They had to remove the engine from under the car! They unbolted everything while the car sat on a lift and then lifted the car from it's engine and front suspension. They rolled the engine/suspension out with the front wheels still attached. Instead of "pulling the motor", I guess you could say they "pulled the body"?

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
I've heard of a few instances like this on the 03's after bumping up the HP....I guess the stock numbers pretty much maxed out the durability of the components....

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
Last edited:

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
NJ2000R said:
I've heard of a few instances like this on the 03's after bumping up the HP....I guess the stock numbers pretty much maxed out the durability of the components....

The problem as I understand it is primarily due to the piston design to meet customer expectations and EPA standards. The rings are two close to the top of the piston. Also the forging is using a weak material that is actually two big for the cylender. This is to prevent the clanking that aftermarket forged pistons make when cold which would have some customers going nuts. The engine builder I am using said everything else in the 03 motor is very good stuff and doesn't really need to be changed.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member

hawkls1

Established Member
this is way i don't go with a KB or Whipple. I open track my car 4 times a years and i run it at stock boost with the eaton :bash: . and if i get at KB or Whipple in my car i will run it at stock boost about 13-14psi with my gordsford Heat exchanger and a new rad that i be install in the spring for this year open track event.I beleave run too high of boost, why'll open tracking your going to need race gas and prombley a good set of piston. 550hp and 500tq at the rear wheels should kick ass ;-)

inVision

Established Member
What does this ticking sound like? A loud clock? Or banging metal? Everyone with an 03 or 04 seems to fear the TICK. When I had my Lightning this seemed to be a fear as well, is it something we 00R owners need to listen for too?

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
toofast4u said:
The problem as I understand it is primarily due to the piston design to meet customer expectations and EPA standards. The rings are two close to the top of the piston. Also the forging is using a weak material that is actually two big for the cylender. This is to prevent the clanking that aftermarket forged pistons make when cold which would have some customers going nuts. The engine builder I am using said everything else in the 03 motor is very good stuff and doesn't really need to be changed.

Thats what I've heard also....and #7 seems to be a popular # as I've heard of 2 other #7 failures besides the 2 mentioned here....

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
doing the apten cooling mod while you have it apart, or did you have that done already?

the rear of the drivers side cylinder head apparently has an area that develops pockets of coolant that dont flow.

I am doing that and several other cooling mods while I have it appart.

Users who are viewing this thread