Well, i got the tick

ReVviNg HiGh

Rev it up!
Established Member
SicStang03 said:
Thats what I was thinking..

I had a tick and it sounded just like that too... ended up being an exhaust leak at the head..
I think i have the same problem. Was it the manifold to head gasket? Mine is more of a clicking noise. Not loud. Just noticable.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
DaveHutch said:
ok, what is weird about this is that my car sounds JUST like this. but theres NO way mine is piston slap, ive had it for 25k miles! and no problems.....

What he has is not piston slap. Piston slap is something that is completely different than the piston coming in contact with the head. Piston slap is most common in motors with forged pistons that have a "more loose" piston to wall clearance than what we have. Which IMO, I will take piston slap 7 days of the week over a too tight PTW clearance.

-Jeff

DaveHutch

Bullets and Cars n stuff
Established Member
well i have my hood off my car...and it sounds JUST like that video...and it HAS to be coming from the drivers side rear of the head......theres no way I think its bottom end from the sound of it. you cant have piston slap for 25k miles anyway can you? wouldnt it break by then???

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
LS1's and LS2's (not sure about the LS6 LS3 and LS7) have piston slap from the factory, and they run forever. What you are hearing is not piston slap. The sound in the video is not piston slap.

-Jeff

DaveHutch

Bullets and Cars n stuff
Established Member
well then my next question is if my car is running strong..is there any way my sound is bottm end at all? my friend seems to think so....but im leaning twords the head tick......

BelvedereGTX

Banned
NOXCUSES said:
I thought that it was only in 03. Also you are lucky they warrantied your motor with all that work.
No man. Thats an old tale. There were no revisions to the 03/04 head design until 2005. The revised head is a 2005. I dont know the part number though

JedWele

aka "boostfiend"
Established Member
Actually the later 04 heads were revised with extra spark plug threads (9) , but your correct the cooling issue wasn’t resolved until jan05 heads.

kuruma

Established Member
mysticsvt said:
Pay attention to my video. Notice the tick is comming more from the bottom end and not the top. This is 7&8 hitting the head. It pretty much happened over night. Ford said it was the poor designed heads not allowing proper cooling to 7&8. They replaced the engine as well as installed the Jan 05 redesigned heads. -Shane

th_MVI_1152.gif

btw my car sounds exactly the same... :(

ReVviNg HiGh

Rev it up!
Established Member
got my car looked at by Ford. Tech. said it is not an exhaust and not quite loud enough to be a head tick. He said it sounds valvetrain related but hard to tell without doing tests. He said if it gets louder it will be easier to pinpoint where its coming from. Car drives fine other than the anoying clicking. I will drive it like i stole it until it gets louder. For now its just part of the noisy terminator.

SicStang03

2SSSlow
Established Member
SicStang03 said:
Thats what I was thinking..

I had a tick and it sounded just like that too... ended up being an exhaust leak at the head..
I think i have the same problem. Was it the manifold to head gasket? Mine is more of a clicking noise. Not loud. Just noticable.

One of my locking bolts got cross threaded on install and made the leak:beer:

ReVviNg HiGh

Rev it up!
Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread