Well, i got the tick

kuruma

Established Member
So sad, I got the dreaded tick last night.

It goes away on light or hard accelleration and on decel its quiet too. Is this the head tick? I pulled the sc belt just to see if it was the sc. and it was still ticking.

How much $ am i looking at? :(

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
You are aware that it doesn't cause any lose of performance, right? It's just an annoying sound.

To replace the drivers side head and get the revised one, I believe you're looking at about $800 without labor.

I say that you save up, take both of them out, get the revised ones, and get them CNC ported! :rockon:

convert03cobra

Established Member
Don't want to sound stupid here but are you sure its the tick? A Throw out Bearing TOB ticks and seems like it goes away when you are driving. Press the clutch in a bit and if it goes away, it's your TOB. Just a thought because I've heard the tick is very noticable. I've seen videos of it but never in person.

04CobraMatt

Established Member
If you have no warranty left I would start putting some money aside but in the meantime drive it like ya stole it.

It will probably be a while before it gets any worse, if at all.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
TOB, head tick or the bottom end usually being 7 & 8 piston, that was my issue when it came to ticking-Shane

JedWele

aka "boostfiend"
Established Member
Yeah might try letting it idle and push in the clutch and see if it goes away, When I first got my 04 , I heard a little bit of what I thought might qualify as the tick (wasn't very loud but noticable ) only when the car was warm and been driven for a while and started freaking out.Turned out its either the TOB or tranny just noisy when I pushed in the clutch the noise went away.

03CobraEG

Established Member
mysticsvt said:
TOB, head tick or the bottom end usually being 7 & 8 piston, that was my issue when it came to ticking-Shane

Same here, happened with me, had melted 7 and 8 pistons

kuruma

Established Member
Thanks for the input guys. But for sure its the tick. It's quite noticeable; but if its just an annoying sound then I don't care. But it is embarrassing sitting next to a light in a nice looking cobra that ticks haha.

Thanks again

JedWele

aka "boostfiend"
Established Member
Dang that sucks, were you doing anything when it happend ?( racing or high speed blasts?)

DaveHutch

Bullets and Cars n stuff
Established Member
04CobraMatt said:
If you have no warranty left I would start putting some money aside but in the meantime drive it like ya stole it.

It will probably be a while before it gets any worse, if at all.
+1.....you may not have any problems. i have had the tick on my car since17K. it has 40 now! no performance loss at all. i do however hate it, and want to get it fixed, just not untill the winter. were you racing at high speeds? or did you just get it randomly? get some cooling mods!

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I would park my car until I could get new heads if I had the tick. Not because it would do damage to drive it, but because I would be too embarrassed to drive it in public. I am like that though. I had a slight belt squeak when I first got it, and it set in the garage until I could get it remedied.

-Jeff

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Pay attention to my video. Notice the tick is comming more from the bottom end and not the top. This is 7&8 hitting the head. It pretty much happened over night. Ford said it was the poor designed heads not allowing proper cooling to 7&8. They replaced the engine as well as installed the Jan 05 redesigned heads. -Shane

th_MVI_1152.gif

blackssmagic

Established Member
i can see exactly what you are talking about on the video......i almost bought an 03 before I bought my 04 and that one had the "tick"

kuruma

Established Member
I bought my car from a dealer last year. and in the ad it said "has warranty" when I went to check on the warranty the car is out of warranty. I'm thinking I should dig up that ad and talk to someone at ford see what they can do...

wjurls

More money than brains
Established Member
mysticsvt said:
Pay attention to my video. Notice the tick is comming more from the bottom end and not the top. This is 7&8 hitting the head. It pretty much happened over night. Ford said it was the poor designed heads not allowing proper cooling to 7&8. They replaced the engine as well as installed the Jan 05 redesigned heads. -Shane

th_MVI_1152.gif

Damn!!! That gawd awfull!! Thanks for posting that vid. I never would have guessed just how loud that "tick issue" really is. I will quit sweating the slight ticking sound that I hear sometimes.

DaveHutch

Bullets and Cars n stuff
Established Member
mysticsvt said:

th_MVI_1152.gif
ok, what is weird about this is that my car sounds JUST like this. but theres NO way mine is piston slap, ive had it for 25k miles! and no problems.....

NOXCUSES

Z0SICK
Established Member
I thought that it was only in 03. Also you are lucky they warrantied your motor with all that work.

SicStang03

2SSSlow
Established Member
NOXCUSES said:
I thought that it was only in 03. Also you are lucky they warrantied your motor with all that work.

Thats what I was thinking..

I had a tick and it sounded just like that too... ended up being an exhaust leak at the head..

Also.. you can melt your pistons at 25K miles.... easily, it's happened to people with less than 10K before..

Users who are viewing this thread