Well good and bad news!!

KGblack99cobra

Back N Black
Established Member
Shes a sick Son of a biotch!!!!!!
I mean damn.... Now i know why i bought the car in the first place.... She sounds so Sick... Flow tech longtubes catted H and Slp 1 series dumped due to clearance issues :( ...
Neways we broke her in today and man it was fun.. Little Nerve racking but we are getting it done. 45 miles on the new motor now...

Now for the bad.
Shes running LEAN!!! and with that being said i have added a 1/2 tank of 93 octane + some octane booster + seafoam to help with the old gas.....
Should i look at getting some 03 cobra injectors and MAF and (Diablo to help this problem)?
My question is with the car running lean will he cause the car to heat up and run warm ?
I mean i drive it about 10-15 miles and she gets Warm!!!! about 1/4 over Normal...
We have burped the system 3 times now and im 99% sure theres no Bubbles left... (You do all this with the at Full Temp right?)
I have a ton of questions to ask and what not... So stay tuned... Im trying to host the video, but i need to figure out how to transfer it over from Hi8 Tape to Digital?
I know I am rambling on and what not just super excited....

viperbluelx

Sexton's Performance
Established Member
You don't need bigger injectors or MAF for your setup. If it's lean then you have a vacuum leak or bad 02 sensors.

I can't understand how there would be clearance issues with the SLP catback.

type911

Heave To....
Established Member
Last rebuild I had the temp sensor was reading air temp not water temp. We burped it and let it run , The temp guage said it was about to over heat but just before the red the T stat opened and temps went to normal. That was the only time I have ever encountered that.

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
How big is this engine and what is your a/f? I'm guessing it's a forged, .020 big bore n/a set up? I'm thinkin' that a Terminator maf and injectors ( 42 lbs. ! ) will be over kill and then you'll be stuck w/ a rich condition and go through 93 octane gas like it's going out of style and get about 10 mpg. And that's to much $$$ for something that can be solved more effectively!

What you probably need is a good tune. It's quite possible that you can bring your a/f back into an acceptable range ( if that really is the problem ) w/ just a tune. If not, I'd adress the fuel dilevery first w/ an upgraded fuel pump. Lot's of people here are running blowers and big N2O on the stock injectors but they might have had to upgrade the fuel pump or even fuel rails. If once you adress the fuel delivery you still have a lean condition, perhaps then look at the maf and the injectors but I'd still say you'd probably only need 30# ers.

Get the tune first though! A competent tuner should be able to datalog the car and tell you where you stand and what you need!

Good luck!

KGblack99cobra

Back N Black
Established Member
Well i havent reset the computer after we plugged in the new 02 sensors.... so to reset the car, just un hook the battery cables and touch them together right?

and just for kicks here she is ( RR hood isnt on yet)
546011_363_full.jpg

KGblack99cobra

Back N Black
Established Member
Made a small Windows Movie Maker Movie... Im a complete ROOKIE when it comes to this stuff.... If you have windows movie maker on your computer im sure you can watch it.... Ill email it out to those who care..

Exhaust is Flowtech Lts, Catted Mac H and Slp 1 Dumped for now....

viperbluelx

Sexton's Performance
Established Member
REX-RACER said:
How big is this engine and what is your a/f? I'm guessing it's a forged, .020 big bore n/a set up? I'm thinkin' that a Terminator maf and injectors ( 42 lbs. ! ) will be over kill and then you'll be stuck w/ a rich condition and go through 93 octane gas like it's going out of style and get about 10 mpg. And that's to much $$$ for something that can be solved more effectively!

What you probably need is a good tune. It's quite possible that you can bring your a/f back into an acceptable range ( if that really is the problem ) w/ just a tune. If not, I'd adress the fuel dilevery first w/ an upgraded fuel pump. Lot's of people here are running blowers and big N2O on the stock injectors but they might have had to upgrade the fuel pump or even fuel rails. If once you adress the fuel delivery you still have a lean condition, perhaps then look at the maf and the injectors but I'd still say you'd probably only need 30# ers.

Get the tune first though! A competent tuner should be able to datalog the car and tell you where you stand and what you need!

Good luck!

He has a stock 04 Mach 1 motor with bolt-ons.

KGblack99cobra

Back N Black
Established Member
didnt really see a problem with the 03 Injectors or MAF...
Future plans include more power....
So no i wasnt Kidding.... but neways

Nazman

Established Member
Did you replace the T-Stad? It could be shout close due to corrosion junk.

Did you run your heater, is hot air flowing thru?

Should not be running that lean, unless you have some major vacum leak after the MAF or exhaust leaks?

The O2s are notorious for going bad after they have been inactive for a while as well.

Naz

KGblack99cobra

Back N Black
Established Member
Well just got home from work....
Figured I'd look over all the possible Wrongs with the car..
Started her up.... and let her idle..... about 20 mins or so... Everything kicks on fans cycle through.... AC works , Heater blows HOT.... and i turn everything back off and Start her up again.... shes at running at normal Temp.. 5 mins pass's and shes creeping towards the warm side. SO I killed her, and now im on here....

Im just praying its something simple, and not anything major...
I guess ill buy new 02 sensors..

Ps.... Sorry if My post about getting 03 injectors and MAF is funny to a few of you GEAR heads.. I just thought it could help with the LEAN issues.. ITs a hell of a lot cheaper to buy those parts then to pay 500+ for a DYNO tune.. On top of that 46 miles on the motor, It cant really handle that now can ... Im asking for help not for negative comments.
So if you have some ideas on what could be wrong feel free to post..
Thanks

Last edited:

viperbluelx

Sexton's Performance
Established Member
KGblack99cobra said:
Ps.... Sorry if My post about getting 03 injectors and MAF is funny to a few of you GEAR heads.. I just thought it could help with the LEAN issues.. ITs a hell of a lot cheaper to buy those parts then to pay 500+ for a DYNO tune..

Actually it's not cheaper, because you CAN'T run 03 injectors and MAF without a tune to correct the MAF transfer function.

Please don't just go buy 02 sensors and hope for the best. What code is in the car to make you sure that's it's lean?

KGblack99cobra

Back N Black
Established Member
Nazman said:
Did you replace the T-Stad? It could be shout close due to corrosion junk.

Did you run your heater, is hot air flowing thru?

Should not be running that lean, unless you have some major vacum leak after the MAF or exhaust leaks?

The O2s are notorious for going bad after they have been inactive for a while as well.

Naz

I have replaced the T Stat, Brand new stock replacement

The Heater is blowing HOT

I dont see where i'd have a Vac leak.... Everything is Plugged in and seems to be in perfect order... Any way to Search out Vac Leaks..?

Ill go buy the 02 sensors Will i need all 4 or just the rear 2

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
dude, you gotta troubleshoot, not throw parts at it.

no way should your car overheat. There has to be a reason. It sounds like an air pocket to me. Put the rear of your car on jackstands, open the crossover a bit, and let it idle.

about the lean situation. how do you know? what is making you think that?

Exhaust leak can insert a bunch of air right befor the 02 sensors, which can skew the readings significantly.

just throwing injectors at it, or 02 sensors is not the answer.

KGblack99cobra

Back N Black
Established Member
Im going to be completely honest.... Im a bit impatient and just type out of frustration....Its been over a year dealing with the car... NO PATIENCE :bash:
I have been on the phone all day with the shop grilling them about why this can be happening...
We thrown just about everything out there...
Blown head gasket.... to bad 02 sensors to running (lean) We scanned at intial start up and I dont remember the code thrown but she was running lean but we didnt have the 02's on it yet.... How long will it take for codes to be thrown?

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
KGblack99cobra said:
Im going to be completely honest.... Im a bit impatient and just type out of frustration....Its been over a year dealing with the car... NO PATIENCE :bash:
I have been on the phone all day with the shop grilling them about why this can be happening...
We thrown just about everything out there...
Blown head gasket.... to bad 02 sensors to running (lean) We scanned at intial start up and I dont remember the code thrown but she was running lean but we didnt have the 02's on it yet.... How long will it take for codes to be thrown?

Depends. Minutes to seconds. Depends on what the code is.

KGblack99cobra

Back N Black
Established Member
well i just jacked her up in the rear..... opened the coolant crossover tube started the car let her idle for about 5 minutes... then filled the up maybe a 1/4 of a liter if that, most of it stayed in the funnel.... Re capped her let her idle for about 20 mins... Stayed Perfectly in the middle of the gauge.... Took her for about a 2 mile trip... 2k-4k range the whole time.... As i pull in to the garage.. TEMP IS 3/4 up now.....
Shes going on the trailer and back to that shop.... Im fed up

Users who are viewing this thread