Welds vs race star

mustanggtangsxr

Established Member
image.jpg

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Thanks Terry,

So if I buy the 15 inch Welds I would be dealing with the same thing as the Uni Lug Race Stars I have now? Do not get me wrong the Race Stars have been great, dealing with the offset washers is a pain to deal with?

Does anyone make a direct throw it on acorn style factory lugnut 15 inch drag wheel?? :thumbsup:

no, your misunderstanding a bit

the unilug race stars with the offset washer are long gone

the race stars are now all direct fit, with a round centered washer, no more unilug to deal with, they only fit ford, or only fit chevy, not both

the welds are the same way

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
Seeing as how both companies are within 30 minutes of me, what people fail to realize is, the "race star" started off as a weld design and was purchased, cheapened, manufacturing sent across the pond, and once complete gets sent back to right here just outside of Kansas City which is also where Weld is located.

If you like welds, fine. If you like race stars fine. However, they're two completely different manufacturing processes which leads to two completly different qualities of construction in the end result. I personally think both look good! and both serve the same purpose, however I also think anyone who feels the race stars look better is lying to themselves at least slightly. I had a better deal than any vendor could offer being local on both setups, I measured twice and cut once. I'm confident in saying these are the last wheels I'll ever purchase for my car.

trakit

Established Member
Seeing as how both companies are within 30 minutes of me, what people fail to realize is, the "race star" started off as a weld design and was purchased, cheapened, manufacturing sent across the pond, and once complete gets sent back to right here just outside of Kansas City which is also where Weld is located.

If you like welds, fine. If you like race stars fine. However, they're two completely different manufacturing processes which leads to two completly different qualities of construction in the end result. I personally think both look good! and both serve the same purpose, however I also think anyone who feels the race stars look better is lying to themselves at least slightly. I had a better deal than any vendor could offer being local on both setups, I measured twice and cut once. I'm confident in saying these are the last wheels I'll ever purchase for my car.

How do I know what offset to order? Your car looks great!! I want the same setup on the rear! What size Mickeys?

trakit

Established Member
So if I buy the Welds I do not have to worry about getting them centered? The Uni lug was a nightmare time wise!!!

scotmach

Established Member
Well the 15" Welds require a little work. I use the Mcgards #60127 and the washers have to be held centered by a small screwdriver so when you bolt on the lugs the washers don't get bound up.

SCalla1384

Established Member
Race stars are chinease made. And you can tell. The lugs are soft. I snapped one torquing it down to not even 100ftlbs. And the washers gouged the shit out of the lug valleys. I had to order McFadden lugs and specific smaller diameter washers.

A lot of times the washers froze on the lugs. It's pathetic. Also the center cap on the tears faded from red to a light pink.

The fronts have no lug issues... The valleys are alittlw larger then the rears so no washer issues. But get a pretty good vibration between 60-70mph that's caused by them. I know because it was completely gone after swapping to stock front wheels. Mine are 17x7 up front. And a lot of people have the same issue.

I like the looks of the race stars. They're light. It's just typical made in China junk. I have a set of 15x8 and 17x7 I daily on. Then I have 15x10 and 17x4.5 for the track. If I could do it again I would run welds for daily. Just expensive. I probably will just ditch them and go with a full size wheel like 18 or 19" for daily.

If your going just for track I would probably just go race stars since they're cheaper. But you can't beat made in America vs made in China. The race stars... Pretty much add $100 for allnrw lugs and washers. Its a joke.

stangn

Established Member
I can't believe how people can justify not supporting America! If you truly believe that foreign countries do things better than the United States by all means move there.

It's that attitude and babying our children that makes nonworking give me a hand out scumbags fill the streets and not the job market.

O ya I saved for a year and bought WELD RTS 74's buy working my ass off.
For my American car made by American people with profit staying in America.

SCalla1384

Established Member
Lol don't apologize to me I don't care. I was just trying to not get political with it. But you said what I basically wanted to say

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
How do I know what offset to order? Your car looks great!! I want the same setup on the rear! What size Mickeys?

7.5 BS Medium pad is pretty standard will clear brembo and gt500 breaks. Thanks I appreciate it!

325/50/15 tire in rear, bear in mind my drop is 2.4" in the rear so, unless you do the BMR or the H&R Super Sport drop, you may not get this same look.

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
Well the 15" Welds require a little work. I use the Mcgards #60127 and the washers have to be held centered by a small screwdriver so when you bolt on the lugs the washers don't get bound up.

All true "DRAG" wheels are going to include a shanked style lug, this adds much more strength for big launches. I use the factory Weld Shanked lugs and washers with no issues and never have to use a screwdriver. The trick is start the lugs from bottom to top(Floor to ceiling) start them until you feel the lug start to pass through the center of the wheel.

Move to your next highest lug, Rinse/Repeat(you'll have to lift the wheel upward a tad), by the time you get to the top lug it should line up perfect. Throw your cordless 1/2 impact on it, zip zip zip zip zip, done. Then I trq the wheel down with a ft/lb torque wrench.

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
I can't believe how people can justify not supporting America! If you truly believe that foreign countries do things better than the United States by all means move there.

It's that attitude and babying our children that makes nonworking give me a hand out scumbags fill the streets and not the job market.

O ya I saved for a year and bought WELD RTS 74's buy working my ass off.
For my American car made by American people with profit staying in America.

I hear ya! but to play devil's advocate the MT-82 is made in china :( I'm right there with ya however bud!

scotmach

Established Member
All true "DRAG" wheels are going to include a shanked style lug, this adds much more strength for big launches. I use the factory Weld Shanked lugs and washers with no issues and never have to use a screwdriver. The trick is start the lugs from bottom to top(Floor to ceiling) start them until you feel the lug start to pass through the center of the wheel.

Move to your next highest lug, Rinse/Repeat(you'll have to lift the wheel upward a tad), by the time you get to the top lug it should line up perfect. Throw your cordless 1/2 impact on it, zip zip zip zip zip, done. Then I trq the wheel down with a ft/lb torque wrench.
I have found that lifting the tire up a little does help. I'll try your trick next time. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread