Weird sounds after Accufab install

stevolikedevo

Established Member
I installed an Accufab T/B & I/T on my car last night and now it's making some funny noises in the lower RPMs that have me feeling a little uneasy. There's a strange hissing type of noise that comes and goes, but it doesn't seem to be RPM dependent (i.e., it comes and goes idling at a stop light without touching the gas). It does seem to be more frequent when the heater is running. I double checked to make sure I remembered to hook up all of the hoses and tightened everything down. I noticed the hose between the intake and TB was lighter on the overlap to the TB side, but it didn't seem to bad enough to cause a leak. I readjusted it and made sure the clamps are tightened down really well, but the sound is still there. Someone suggested to me that it's probably just the sound of the engine taking in more air, but it doesn't have a similar air whooshing sound the way my old 4.6L SOHC GT motor did when it was breathing better, and the explanation doesn't seem to make sense since the sound comes and goes. I'd really like to believe that's all it is, though. I have a BBK polished intake and a stock, non-ported Eaton. The car's idle seems to be unchanged from the stock TB, and it's definitely got better throttle response and more power on the SOTP dyno. It doesn't feel like there's anything wrong with the way it runs at all, other than those noises. Any ideas? Thanks!

04whitesvtlight

the beast is almost mine
Established Member
well I know when I installed A accufab sbtb on my lighting the blade in the throttle bodie would make a hissing sound but thats just what they do alot of people have had that but it doesn't hurt anything. but I really don't know on the cobra's I would assume it's the same thing unless it's a vacum leak but you sade you made sure there were none.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Did you install the gasket? I know that seems like a simple answer, but you would be amazed at the people that forget to.

-Jeff

Screamin Cobra

Slam'd Cam'd Z06
Established Member
sick03cobra said:
did you notice thAT YOUR THROTTLE SEEMS TO STICK NOW?....OR IS IT JUST ME

My Accufab tb was sticking and James@RWTD told me to clean the inside of it. I didn't think that would do anything but hell, it stopped sticking!! Clean it REAL good though, you'll be surprised. :coolman:

stevolikedevo

Established Member
Jeff - I did install the new gaskets, but thanks for inquiring about the simple stuff. I did notice that the two lower fasteners mounting the IT to the blower were a PITA to get to. I did the best I could to tighten them down again and it seems solid, but kinda makes me wonder.

I haven't noticed any problems with the TB sticking. There was one time after I took it out for the initial test drive where it hung around 1100 RPM for a really long time in neutral, but I assumed that was the computer trying to figure things out. It hasn't happened but that one time.

I suppose I could look into cleaning it though...seems dumb you would need to clean a brand new polished product. What's the procedure to clean it? Unlike my GT TB, this one came with no documentation, other than to say don't adjust any of the screws on the TB.

Users who are viewing this thread