Weird alternator issue

piss&vinegar

Seek and Destroy
Established Member
Just thought I would get some input on this. Yesterday morning, Friday, Nov. 30th, I was heading to work and noticed the voltmeter on my capacitor was showing a higher than normal charging voltage. The meter was saying 14.5 V+. It kept fluctuating between 14.5 to close to 15.0 V. I have never seen it get that high but after looking in my automotive book for school, which said sometimes charging voltages can get that high, I felt somewhat better. Well, coming home it got even higher, sometime hitting 15.0+. I removed the stereo system by pulling the fuse and checked with another voltmeter and it was reading the same. I was like 'damn, the voltage regulator again'. Anyway, I change my oil today and drove around and now it will not happen. With stereo connected it would stay between 13.8 to 14.2. Anyone seen anything like this before?
:read:

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I don't have an answer, but I'll move this thread to the top for you. Maybe someone will chime in.

MaximumVelocity

Mod motor convert
Established Member
Intermittent regulator failures are fairly common, most people don't have gauges to see them right before they give out. I've seen batteries on Cobras ballooned out due to overcharging!

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
My car stays between 13.7 - 14.2. Not sure why all of a sudden you would be cranking out 15 volts?

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Probably an intermitent short in one of the diodes in the alternator.
Possibly the regulator is going south also.

Either way, might as well start looking for an alternator before it cooks the battery.

piss&vinegar

Seek and Destroy
Established Member
Well, I drove it today and it seemed fine but I am going to get another voltage regulator anyway. I was thinking that one of the diode in the rectifier was probably going bad.

Users who are viewing this thread