Weight Distribution Hitch Questions???

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I'm in the market for a weight distribution hitch. It's going on the Bronco Raptor, so it will probably have to have some drop adjustment built in. Is there a particular style or brand I should be shopping? I'm thinking one with trunnion bars, but I don't know about the differences between chain and bracket mounts for the springs???

Anyone have advice on these things?

This is the one I've been eyeing:

SVTXTC

Established Member
I'm in the market for a weight distribution hitch. It's going on the Bronco Raptor, so it will probably have to have some drop adjustment built in. Is there a particular style or brand I should be shopping? I'm thinking one with trunnion bars, but I don't know about the differences between chain and bracket mounts for the springs???

Anyone have advice on these things?

This is the one I've been eyeing:

I would recommend contacting etrailer.com - have sent a lot of customers there. They are very responsive as of two years ago and are very knowledgeable. They will not steer you wrong including liability with weight on individual makes and models.

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I really love the weigh-safe setup's.. They're badass and have so much adjustability compared to the older style weight distribution hitches.

ur bittn

By the snake
Established Member
The Blue Ox Pro Track is a good one because it allows you to backup. A lot of them don’t.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I don't know about for that size vehicle, but I have the ReCurve R3 on my truck and it's a dream. Quiet, easy to install, easy to attach.

It was also one of the cheaper options after searching around. I use mine mostly with the hitch extension on my truck/camper/trailer setup.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
I ended up with a Blue Ox one like this:

I've had other products from them, and so far this setup seems pretty good. I need to work on adjusting it more.
Setup:
Measure front fender height on the bronco unhitched.

Hook up and engage spring bars. Tighten bars until the hitched front fender height is the same as the unhitched front fender height.

After that, you then adjust the level of the trailer. It needs to be perfectly level or slightly nose down. Height adjustment of the shank on the hitch does not affect weight distribution unless you have extreme nose up or nose down on trailer.

Not sure how heavy you are hauling, but only two points of sway reduction can be a problem with heavier loads. DO NOT lubricate the sway reduction points, no matter how much noise they make. When they make noise, they are reducing sway.

HuntFishCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Heard good things on blue ox. Curious to see how you like it.

I have a 10k rated fastway e2 and have been very happy with it.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
If you'd like to check out the best, with zero sway:

Yes, it's expensive. It also allows a bumper pull trailer to literally track and feel like a fifth wheel and no sway.

Yes, I have one, towing a 10,300# travel trailer, 38' long.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Heard good things on blue ox. Curious to see how you like it.

I have a 10k rated fastway e2 and have been very happy with it.

So far so good. I need to do more adjustment, but it made it 200 miles yesterday with no issues. The BRaptor springs are pretty soft.

Anyone interested will be able to see the setup at Ford Fest in Bowling Green and Mod Nats.

01yellercobra

Established Member
As far as I know, the only ones you can't back up with are those with the add-on friction slider sway bar. Those can bind up if backing up sharp enough and turn into a pretzel.
That's good to know. A friend of mine has a set up like that and we didn't know you shouldn't back up with it.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
That's good to know. A friend of mine has a set up like that and we didn't know you shouldn't back up with it.
It doesn't matter, till it matters LOL. I've seen many of them hit. The mounting ear on the hitch will start trying to go under the trailer tongue when turned to the right sharply. When the friction slider is mounted on the ear, it will hit on the tongue and bends very easily. It generally happens when backing because people tend to turn sharper when backing.

Users who are viewing this thread